Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
To the experienced coil builders for the subtanks only:

Have you had any luck with micro coils, if so what diameter, gauge, and wraps to stay around .5 ohms?

When I first purchase my 2mm Kuro koiler I tried a few different builds and had problems with burnt Cotton and bad flavor. I switched to building really ugly coils on machine screws which more closely resemble the stock Kanger coils, open, not tight (macro)? coils.

Do tight wound micro coils work in this RBA?

Another point on your question... If the use the Kuro per the instructions, you'll end up with a "compressed" coil. I use the Kuro to make spaced coils as well. I feed the wire in, but I don't use the spinning cap thing, I tightly wrap the wire by hand leaving spaces between each wrap. When I've got enough wraps I take the wire out of the feeder and put the coil back on the rod. Then just push the coil against the base a few times. Each time it will spring back and will eventually space out the wraps evenly.

blivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
Waycross, Georgia, United States
Another point on your question... If the use the Kuro per the instructions, you'll end up with a "compressed" coil. I use the Kuro to make spaced coils as well. I feed the wire in, but I don't use the spinning cap thing, I tightly wrap the wire by hand leaving spaces between each wrap. When I've got enough wraps I take the wire out of the feeder and put the coil back on the rod. Then just push the coil against the base a few times. Each time it will spring back and will eventually space out the wraps evenly.
Machine screws work great too. I picked up a few different sizes at lowes for less than $1

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
Killer advice, thanks, I'll give it a try, never thought about that. Probably look way better than what I'm burning right now.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Vaping at 40' on the Fifth of July

Stars & Stripes & Subox

11728954_1666043993626424_1002745661606351056_o.jpg

blivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
very possible, or something custom they did
comparing the picture to my minis it looks way shorter, even if i change the angle around a lot to compare
Something is going on with the pic. Look at the fully glass one. The rba base is at the top of the glass. Wtf. Now I'm dying to know what they did to it.

blivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
very possible, or something custom they did
comparing the picture to my minis it looks way shorter, even if i change the angle around a lot to compare
The only place the image appears is on a tumblr account for Liquid Soul Vapor. I messaged them to see what kind of modifications were done. Maybe we will get a quick reply.

Reactions: IXIShogunR1

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
ok so i received my subox kit in black on friday and have spent a couple days building and vaping on it with various tanks and rbas to test her out. Thought i would share my thoughts if anyone cares.
part 1: The good
form: this thing is beautiful. Mine has 10/10 fit and finish out of the box. clean lines, comfortable to hold, and love the matching tank.
function: I enjoy the simplicity of the unit. display shows voltage output, ohm reader, battery indicator, and wattage which you set. I never run my vv/vw devices in vv mode anyways, so "losing" that feature is not a problem for me. The buttons are a little finicky in their .1-.9 scroll to suddenly scrolling 1 unit at a time, but i am glad they have the quick option in place even if it could be refined. I also like that the unit remembers your settings when you pop a new battery in. I also like that it has a built in battery charger for when i'm on the go. With a Samsung 25R 2500mA battery in it, it charges in about 2 hours in the unit itself, and lasts a solid 8-10 hours of regular vaping with one bar left (i havent pushed it to failure yet... i dont really like doing that on batteries.)
vape performance: this little baby chugs. no misfires on my unit, and reading ohms is rock solid. For a small mod this has some firepower and is a joy to use.
tank: love the look of the new tank, and as with my other subtanks it is a breeze to build new coils on. haven't tried the stock coils yet, but then i never really use those. I think i still have both from my last subtank. great flavor, and nice clouds for a tank.
subox.jpg

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
part 2: the bad
ok so i generally am a huge fan of this little unit but i have a few potentially major problems. Some are just my problems, others are more serious.
1. (minor user error on tank builds) while i love the new subtank, i am having trouble getting it to wick correctly with 70/30 juice. On the old subtank i got around the issue by pancake wicking and leaving a juice well around the deck holes, but on this new one i just can't seem to get it to wick fast enough yet. I've put 3 builds in so far (again only have had it a few days) and while the flavor and vapor production are great, after about 3 long hits, i get a dry hit when they are done back to back. if i take a hit, put it down, then take a hit, i don't have this problem. Clearly i am not wicking correctly, but i followed a video posted here to the T first with a lot of cotton, and second time with a bit less. I guess it is awfully new to have good build guides, but any advice would be appreciated
2. (lack of finesse)
the buttons are a little small, the buttons feel cheap, the display is basic, the wattage moves too slow or too fast when changing over. The back closure is good, but could be tighter. The pin has many issues (detailed next.) Just generally a solid product that could use a few more iterations to get right.
3. (my major issue)
subox 2.jpg
As others have mentioned, the fixed pin is a major problem. And not for the reasons others have mentioned. I am ok with this not fitting every atty. Its fine, i planned to use the subtanks on it 90% of the time anyways. My issue is that the subtanks, aka what it was designed for, do not fit correctly. The subtank 510 connector is just about the longest one i have ever seen on a tank or rba. It is so long that when screwed in flush (as one would expect a stock atty to fit on it's custom designed mod) it pushes the 510 pin way down. before putting a subtank on, actually while both were soaking juice into their new builds, i put on a vertex rba (my favorite) and it fired like a champ. stuck on the stock subtank and vaped for about 30 minutes and everything was great. Then i decided to put the vertex back on and low and behold the subox wouldnt read it anymore. Tried a few other rbas, and nothing but the subtanks make contact. At this point i tooks a good look at the pin itself and noticed it was no longer sitting upright, but was pushed way down into the insulator at the bottom. It is actually slightly below flush with the white insulator. And this is from the stock subtank. In addition, something sounds like it is rattling in the unit itself. very disappointing in a 3 day old unit and think i might have to do a warranty. I just want to make sure i wait until the new spring loaded pin units are available to make my claim. I have seen ephilbe's guide on resetting the pin length, but it seems like it would just get pushed down again, and i don't want to void warranty.

OVERALL:
hey i love this little unit, and as a result am disappointed that i will have to go without it while getting a replacement. It looks great, it is affordable, and it works well when it works properly. A spring loaded pin would have prevented the issue i have, but even a fixed pin should not have been pressed down by the atty that was designed for it. I would think the clearances would be well known since they make the f***in thing... :-x anyways i would recommend waiting til the spring pin comes out and then get all over this badboy.

Reactions: cindycated

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
@blivey
have you had any issues with your pin getting pushed down? i want to know if this is just me being unlucky, or if this is common.

Quite a few people have had this issue, mine works with all the tanks and RDA's I have thrown on it but it seems like I just got lucky. My pin is jammed down a bit further than when I got it but it seems like mine got stuck in just the right place to allow a flush subtank but still make contact with shorter 510's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread