New Kanger Box Mod- The Subox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2015
Tacoma WA
hmmm. kanger says they will release the tank and mod separately after the subbox release. Im torn between waiting to get a handful of the mods separately, but then again I have 0 tanks right now, the last tank i used was their aerotank. I think i might just order two of the subbox kits, ill give the tank a go.

can we fastforward to release date? :lol:
That's why I pre-ordered a black kit. Maybe beat Sweet Vapes tank only offering to the punch. Plus think it makes the tank a li'l less $ if I dump the mod.

And whole heartedly agree to the fast forward action!

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Cool thanks for the info. Well I will definitely be getting a black kit when released then. Going to buy 4 of the current rba style very soon because I am paranoid the new style will be replacing it. I really like the bottom juice channels of the current style because you can vape the tank right to the bottom.

Reactions: ephilbe

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2015
Tacoma WA
Cool thanks for the info. Well I will definitely be getting a black kit when released then. Going to buy 4 of the current rba style very soon because I am paranoid the new style will be replacing it. I really like the bottom juice channels of the current style because you can vape the tank right to the bottom.
Good idea. If word gets out of the "Plus" RBA foibles, I could see stock depleting.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    What I meant to say that a "pulse rate" is often bogus measurement when specified just amps without also including a duration. It's the amount of amps for a given period of time. You can see a more accurate "pulse rate" specification shown on the Battery bro site for the Samsung 25R. There's other good battery info on the Battery bro site that's worth checking out.

It's great to see a site that lists pulse duration and current but we still can't use that data to compare against any other cell without knowing the allowed pulse duty cycle and cell temperatures. Or even to evaluate just the 25R on its own with high current pulses.

That site says those are "safe" pulse currents/durations. What's "safe" for them? When the cell temperature stays below 70C? 100C? Big difference in safety margin there. And how often can we pulse the cell at those levels (the duty cycle)? With just a second between each pulse? Or do we have to wait a full minute to allow the cell to cool down and be safe.

I applaud that site's efforts to give their customers more information but we're still a long way from having useful pulse ratings for evaluating a cell.

It looks like they do have a cool blog going though. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the link!

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2015
    Tacoma WA
    It's great to see a site that lists pulse duration and current but we still can't use that data to compare against any other cell without knowing the allowed pulse duty cycle and cell temperatures. Or even to evaluate just the 25R on its own with high current pulses.

That site says those are "safe" pulse currents/durations. What's "safe" for them? When the cell temperature stays below 70C? 100C? Big difference in safety margin there. And how often can we pulse the cell at those levels (the duty cycle)? With just a second between each pulse? Or do we have to wait a full minute to allow the cell to cool down and be safe.

I applaud that site's efforts to give their customers more information but we're still a long way from having useful pulse ratings for evaluating a cell.

It looks like they do have a cool blog going though. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the link!
    When researching batts, I tend to find all of those facts abysmally lacking. Pulse rate vs temp cilmb/cool off vs overall mah, et al.

A lot of chem physics goin on here.

Agreed, kudos to those fighting the good fight. Info is knowledge.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mooch

DCBD

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2014
    USA

I agree. It's a small step forward, but at least it's a step. This is a fairly new company that looks like they know what they're doing. I've learned a lot reading their blogs. Based on their recommendation and research from some other sites, I'm going to give the Samsung 25R a try. I wanted to order from them, but they're wholesale only. Last night I discovered that they just opened an Amazon Store and are already getting 5 star feedback. You have to buy 10 at time, but the cost comes out to $7.50 each plus $5 shipping for 10. Guess I'll need to get some vaping friends together for a group buy.

iZEddie

Apr 17, 2015
    Charlotte, NC

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    i don't know why everyone jumping into the subox so much, there better deal out there like Joyetech eVic-VT 60W kit that has Temp control and 60W plus it has build in battery. i do own Kanger subtank plus and mini, and i really like the redesign of the mini rba, but for the kits i dont think is worth the money when there better option for same price.
    Joyetech eVic VT 60W Temperature Control VW Variable Wattage Mini Box Mod Kit-65 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    While I am not going to order Subox I should say that yours preferences are just yours preferences. For example for me built-in battery is not a plus but minus, and temperature control is useless for me.

Reactions: gerrymi

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2015
    Tacoma WA
    i don't know why everyone jumping into the subox so much, there better deal out there like Joyetech eVic-VT 60W kit that has Temp control and 60W plus it has build in battery. i do own Kanger subtank plus and mini, and i really like the redesign of the mini rba, but for the kits i dont think is worth the money when there better option for same price.
    Joyetech eVic VT 60W Temperature Control VW Variable Wattage Mini Box Mod Kit-65 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    I have to admit, for me it's the looks and ergonomics compared to to the eVic VT.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2015
    Tacoma WA
    I agree. It's a small step forward, but at least it's a step. This is a fairly new company that looks like they know what they're doing. I've learned a lot reading their blogs. Based on their recommendation and research from some other sites, I'm going to give the Samsung 25R a try. I wanted to order from them, but they're wholesale only. Last night I discovered that they just opened an Amazon Store and are already getting 5 star feedback. You have to buy 10 at time, but the cost comes out to $7.50 each plus $5 shipping for 10. Guess I'll need to get some vaping friends together for a group buy.
    At the risk of hijack, I certainly wasn't pitting LG's against the Sammys. At the time of purchase, my research lead me to believe the H series batts had the best cost/performance ratio at 6 bux apiece. Always one of my considerations as I'm kind of a cheap s.o.b. (not when it comes to safety or performance, of course)

Have considered bumping it up a bit and springing for some 25R's or VTC4's, for sure. I'd like to get on that buy list if you'd have me, D.

And would my Subox please get here a little faster? Thank you.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DCBD

daveyp

ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2013
    BUFFALO

The eVic is nice, really. If someone wants Temp, then it looks like a fantastic deal for sure. But for those that don't desire it, it's more expensive, and the included tank is not nearly as versatile as a ST mini. It not having a replaceable battery might be a deal breaker for some too, it's a quality many appreciate.

The Samsung 25R's are $11.50 for a pack of 2, plus free Prime shipping on Amazon. Reviews state authentic. here: Amazon.com: 2pcs 18650 2500mah 20A discharge Samsung INR18650-25R li-ion power cell: Electronics

Reactions: blivey

Azarias

May 25, 2015
    Illinois
    I don't want any more mods with build-in batteries, I don't need TC, it makes no difference for me if the mod had 50 or 60W.

And imo the eVic VT looks boring. I'm sure it's a great set but not for me.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2015
    Tacoma WA
    Reactions: blivey

spartanstew

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I've been interested in both and have pulled the trigger on the VT.

I'm not sure I'll use temperate control, but nice to know it's there in case I try it and like it
    I think the VT looks great.
    After using the isticks, I had wanted something with a replaceable battery, but after trying two other devices with that feature, I realized I really liked the convenience of the internal battery, and with the size of the battery on the VT, it would last just about anyone at least a full day. With the subox, I'd be changing batteries once or twice.
    In the limited reviews available, the VT seems to have better build quality
    I agree that the tank on the subox is better, which is why I'll be buying a black subtank when they're available to use with my VT (only getting the mod, not the kit)

Reactions: gerrymi

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    For a 50w mod I'd use the new 35 amp LG (yellow). The rating of the Samsung is low, nicer for 30w mods.

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, I've been interested in both and have pulled the trigger on the VT.

I'm not sure I'll use temperate control, but nice to know it's there in case I try it and like it
    I think the VT looks great.
    After using the isticks, I had wanted something with a replaceable battery, but after trying two other devices with that feature, I realized I really liked the convenience of the internal battery, and with the size of the battery on the VT, it would last just about anyone at least a full day. With the subox, I'd be changing batteries once or twice.
    In the limited reviews available, the VT seems to have better build quality
    I agree that the tank on the subox is better, which is why I'll be buying a black subtank when they're available to use with my VT (only getting the mod, not the kit)
    Watch the VT video by GrimmGreen. The VT seems a cool mod, but sincerely, not all work ok. I agree you would mostly need to change batts through the day, but with most PV carrying a cable and plugging them in your office (or in the car, or whatever) seems a clever invention. Most fixed battery mods last 6 to 9 months, and if the battery vents, out goes the PV, while in the removable batt arena you simply replace the battery.
    Now that high amp batteries are becoming cheaper by the minute (most cost 12 bucks) makes sense to have replaceable battery PV. And with the Subox cost, I wouldn't think twice.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
    Oct 1, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I have a proactive thought. Perhaps one could file on the screw slot a bit higher to let juice in at a lower level. If one was so inclined...

If I worded that in an understandable fashion?

Connection issues notwithstanding.
    That might work. The screw I'm thinking is their answer to people complaining about the annoyance of unscrewing the current rba.

Reactions: ephilbe
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread