New Kanger Box Mod- The Subox

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
In regards to the fixed pin 510, while they're calling it "flexible", I believe what they mean is that the center pin insulator has a bit of give to it. But be warned, I've had a couple of mods of which that flexibility developed memory and wouldn't make contact with shorter protruding tank contacts anymore. Just bear in mind if you're really trying to torque a different tank down that doesn't want to sit flush.

Dang, this thread has really gained some traction.

I see this as a fairly surprising flaw as the floating pin seems standard these days but I'll be using it almost exclusively with the subtank it came with so it is a flaw that won't impact me.

Reactions: zoiDman

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Ugly counts. Non-removable battery. Association with Istick's. Unimpressed with tc. I was dissapointed in the Evic offerring. I know other's are excited. To each their own.

I still can't figure out why I would care about temp control. As the prices continue to drop I'm sure i'll end up with a temp control device in the collection but for now it's not a make or break feature for me. The non removable battery is the real deal killer for me though. That is the one piece that is guaranteed to fail eventually in any device, not being able to change it out basically guarantees the device will have a limited lifespan no matter how well you take care of it.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2015
Tacoma WA
Ugly counts. Non-removable battery. Association with Istick's. Unimpressed with tc. I was dissapointed in the Evic offerring. I know other's are excited. To each their own.
Last night, I watched the unboxing vid that Rip did. Honestly couldn't figure out why he was so excited about it. Come to think of it, I guess he's always a bit excited. Lol

I think it's gaudy.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Last night, I watched the unboxing vid that Rip did. Honestly couldn't figure out why he was so excited about it. Come to think of it, I guess he's always a bit excited. Lol

I think it's gaudy.
I do like his reviews but idk about some of his opinions on things. Like the "would I buy it again?" bit that he does. Seems like he would buy everything again idk. Even when he did the Kbox. Like come on man you wouldn't buy that again sheesh. Maybe if he said something like "Personally I would not buy it again but can see how it appeals to some people" would make more sense.

ETA and ya the Evic is fugly especially compared to the subox combo

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah, I'm a sucker for goofball antics.
Heh well tbh I think his personality is kind of annoying but you can't beat his to the point and thorough review's of stuff. I always said take Busardos personality and Rips reviewing style would be perfect. Can't have your cake and eat it too though I suppose.

Reactions: ephilbe

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I see this as a fairly surprising flaw as the floating pin seems standard these days but I'll be using it almost exclusively with the subtank it came with so it is a flaw that won't impact me.
They made it fixed because of the design of the Sub Tanks base 510 pin. I'm sure you have seen people around the forum complaining that the RBA doesn't work, that is because of the connection (floating pin) from the base. If the pin in the base isn't pushed up enough it will not make contact with the bottom of the RBA (which is just slightly shorter that the bottom of the OCC head). Soft spring loaded 510's, like those in the rDNA40, don't put enough pressure on the base pin to push it up enough. A fixed pin, or fairly stiff spring loaded pin, will have no problems.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Seems like he would buy everything again idk. Even when he did the Kbox. Like come on man you wouldn't buy that again sheesh.

I would buy the kbox again. It's twenty bucks and built like a tank. It's not my go-to mod but as far as price and durability it's tough to beat.

I can't watch Rip's videos, he is too much for me. I get too distracted by his editing and yelling to pay attention to what he says.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
They made it fixed because of the design of the Sub Tanks base 510 pin. I'm sure you have seen people around the forum complaining that the RBA doesn't work, that is because of the connection from the base. If the pin in the base isn't pushed up enough it will not make contact with the bottom of the RBA (which is just slightly shorter that the bottom of the OCC head). Soft spring loaded 510's, like those in the rDNA40, don't put enough pressure on the base pin to push it up enough. A fixed pin, or fairly stiff spring loaded pin, will have no problems.

Good to know, I actually had that problem the first time I tried using my subtank plus RBA. My mod said "no atomizer", then I tried it again a few days later and it just worked so I never really thought about it again.

Reactions: aikanae1

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would buy the kbox again. It's twenty bucks and built like a tank. It's not my go-to mod but as far as price and durability it's tough to beat.

I can't watch Rip's videos, he is too much for me. I get too distracted by his editing and yelling to pay attention to what he says.
20 bucks?!? I take back my comment then. Didn't realize it was priced that cheap.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2015
Tacoma WA
I always said take Busardos personality and Rips reviewing style would be perfect. Can't have your cake and eat it too though I suppose.
This is true. Personally, I have a bit of disdain for Busardo and the Jersey Shore thing he's got going on. Like his electronic test apparatuses, though.

Probably good fodder for another thread.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Good to know, I actually had that problem the first time I tried using my subtank plus RBA. My mod said "no atomizer", then I tried it again a few days later and it just worked so I never really thought about it again.
Yea, we are talking about tolerances in the tenth of a millimeter space, so two exact setups might yield different results. I was confused as hell when I first got my STm and one rDNA40 would fire it fine and the other would say "no atty":blink:

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Was this close to pulling the trigger on a black Kbox. Found them for 19.95.
Thats pretty good value. Same as the subox. I got a few friends waiting to buy the subox kit when it comes out. I personally won't buy it because I have an ipv mini 2 already. Just can't justify getting another single 18650 mod when I already have one. Heh I reeeealy want one though but the gf will be getting one so I can atleast check it out. I will be buying a black subtank mini when they are available by themselves though. Man if kanger released the subox kit with a battery that held 2 18650's I would be all over that as I do not own a double 18650 mod yet. Gonna hold out for a while and see how this temp control stuff plays out.

Reactions: ephilbe

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
20 bucks?!? I take back my comment then. Didn't realize it was priced that cheap.

Yeah it really is its own category of mod. You can't compare it to anything else because at the price point you are comparing it to ego type batteries and as a digital mod you are comparing it to devices that cost way more. I see it as a perfect backup device or a good way to bridge the gap for people using beginner gear looking to see if they like digital/box type mods.

ephilbe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2015
Tacoma WA
I will be buying a black subtank mini when they are available by themselves though.

Don't quote me on this, but my guess is the colored tanks will retail for 29.99.

That'll make the cost of my Subox 25.00. It's worth 5 bux more than the Kbox, imo. (fixed pin notwithstanding)

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Come to think of it, the absence of a floating pin on the Subox when they included it on the Kbox is rather perplexing.

That's why I didn't believe the initial reports of it having a fixed pin. I double checked my kbox pin and figured no way they are downgrading features. I have read that the pin was the point of failure for some kboxes though, an issue with it shorting from touching the threading or something.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Don't quote me on this, but my guess is the colored tanks will retail for 29.99.

That'll make the cost of my Subox 25.00. It's worth 5 bux more than the Kbox, imo. (fixed pin notwithstanding)
Hmmm maybe just maybe I'll buy a kit. Have a back up mod. But I'm expecting the mini 2 to last for a while. At least I hope it lasts quite a while. Is there an expected failure dates for mods of this style?

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015

Unrelated question...Do the local B&M's in your area charge like double retail price? I'll see something online for like 10 dollars off retail and figure it's worth the ten bucks to get it immediately but then go to the shop and they want way over retail. I can't think of any other industry where stores charge over retail. I often notice that if the shops are paying the exact same price I do online they are still making almost double on every sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread