Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Ugh. I caught this on the news. Maura Healy takes up where Martha left off, and ups the ante (anti?):

AG Healey proposes banning sales of e-cigarettes to minors | Health - WCVB Home

Let's classify e-cigs as tobacco and raise the age to 21 because kids are trying them instead of smoking and people should use NRT instead of e-cigs for smoking cessation...

Two things that struck me -- I haven't seen a cigarette vending machine in decades, let alone one that sells e-cigs and hello - manufacturers don't claim they are smoking cessation devices because they can't due to current laws. Shouldn't an AG know better? :facepalm:

This was a scary, surprise to me too:
The new regulations don't require the approval of state lawmakers or the governor.

Be prepared:
A day before the public comment period ends, on April 23, there will be a public hearing on the proposed regulations.

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
On this newscast it says online sales will be allowed. In the Boston Herald it says

Healey said she wasn't sure how the state would enforce the regulations requiring face-to-face sales when it comes to online sales.

I gather the regulations as proposed now allow online sales . I hope she leaves this alone.

Last edited:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Where does it say anywhere in the link face to face sales will only be allowed? It clearly states online sales will be allowed...

that's what the reporter said. in order for the gub'min to interfere in online sales
the sale has to violate federal law. What Attorney General Healey proposes is to control the sale
of nicotine to minors. Therefore the face to...
While it's possible that state statute prohibit a certain type of business from doing business on the internet somehow,
nothing was said in reference
and prohibiting an entity from doing business on the net would be federal
and a matter of taxes which so far we're free of.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Help. I haven't found a way to make a comment during the 'public comment period' before the public hearing. Has anyone else found it and been able to submit to the AG?

I also thought I saw something about some laws being proposed in MA back in Jan. but can't find that either. I knew I should have book marked it when I saw it..:facepalm:

Thanks.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Here is an update on the public meeting. Thank you to Carl Phillips for speaking on behalf of us MA vapers. Given the numbers of representatives cited that support restrictions on e-cigs and treating them like cigarettes, it looks like MA is on the endangered list.

Anti-tobacco crowd backs e-cig regs while retailers seek changes | masslive.com

ETA: Interesting - this link was open for comments, now they are all gone. I saw 7 when I posted, most were pro-vaping, politely stated and pointing out the flaws in the assumptions. Sad state of affairs, but not surprising for MA - objections (and logic) swept under the table.

Last edited:

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Here is an update on the public meeting. Thank you to Carl Phillips for speaking on behalf of us MA vapers. Given the numbers of representatives cited that support restrictions on e-cigs and treating them like cigarettes, it looks like MA is on the endangered list.

Anti-tobacco crowd backs e-cig regs while retailers seek changes | masslive.com

ETA: Interesting - this link was open for comments, now they are all gone. I saw 7 when I posted, most were pro-vaping, politely stated and pointing out the flaws in the assumptions. Sad state of affairs, but not surprising for MA - objections (and logic) swept under the table.

I just followed your link and there were 7 readable comments.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Unless it uses Disqus I can't comment. Have no desire to join Facebook, and for "proprietary" logins in the US, as a Canadian citizen - I'd rather not be subject to the "Patriot Act" law that completely ignores my privacy.

Sorry!
Thanks for the thoughts though. I wished it used Disqus too. I caved and did a Mass Live account since I'm betting there will be more to come. I'm not a FB fan either.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Maybe a transcript of the state house press conference will surface...

No links to an actual April 23rd meeting transcript that I've seen after the fact. However, here is a link to the AGs press conference, in excerpts for a soundbite as sensationalism equals ratings, on ecigs from before the meeting. You can view a few seconds of that conference from before the hearing on the 23rd here: AG Healey proposes banning sales of e-cigarettes to minors - Link via WCVB.

There is an error in the WCVB report where it states that online sales wouldn't be impacted. In the CASAA - Massachusetts Call To Action briefing there is a section that addresses online sales and ID verification.

The new regulations don't require the approval of state lawmakers or the governor.

Baker supports AG Healey in this case just as the Masslive article stated.
Supposedly it is always safer to let someone else officially do the dirty work to avoid taking blame.

For anyone that didn't get a chance to view the CASAA - Massachusetts Call To Action brief where regulation talking points 4, 5, and 6 were in dispute: The new regulations will allow local municipalities to exert stricter regulations at their own discretion.

Now whether that would occur in the same way at the local level as it is progressing at the state level, I don't know.

The only other article beyond Masslive was WGBH news:
WGBH news: E-cigarettes Debated at State House Hearing

WGBHnews.org said:
"The Attorney General's office can now amend the proposed regulations based on the public feedback. Final regulations are expected this spring."

That reads like it might still be possible for people to contact the AG's office about vaping even though the hearing has concluded, as the regulations are not likely to be finalized until spring. Although it probably would take a massive influx of communications that are pro-vaping to make any impact after the fact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread