New member with a setup question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatoneguy23

Jul 29, 2016
Hi, I've been reading on the forums for a few hours and have found tons of valuable information. So much that I'm a little skeptical about my setup now.

I've been using my friends vape whenever he is over and finally decided to get a similar setup. So yesterday I went and picked up a Wismec Reuleaux rx200 with a Smok TFV8 tank. Loving it! That is until I read that sub ohm vaping CAN be dangerous if not used properly. The SMOK tank is rated at .15 ohms. That seems extremely low as the rx200 VW is only rated down to .1 ohms. Currently I'm vaping at 120w. The batteries im using are brand new LGDBHE41865.

Had I known prior, I probably would have just gone with a 1ohm> setup just to avoid complications. Alas, maybe it was it meant to be. My curiosity has led me to this wonderfu forum of knoledge. I'm wondering if there is any merit for concern with the setup I have described.

TLDR: Wismec rx200, SMOK tfv8 (.15), LGDBHE41865. Running at 120w. Is it safe?

Reactions: BrotherBob

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
As long as you are using a regulated mod ( which the Rx 200 is) you are safe...the thing to think about is battery safety and amp draw. If the mod exceeds any of its limits it will simply stop sending power to the atomizer... Stick with good quality batterys and you should have nothing to worry about! you may want to read up on ohms law and 18650 battery safety and such. hope this helps ya!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Reactions: Baditude

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
You have three batteries rated for 20A each. The mod cuts off at about 3.2v per cell. The three cells are in series, giving you a cutoff of 9.6v. 20 amps times 9.6 volts is 192 watts. Keep it under 175 watts for a safety margin and you will be fine with any coil the mod can fire.

Thatoneguy23

Jul 29, 2016
You have three batteries rated for 20A each. The mod cuts off at about 3.2v per cell. The three cells are in series, giving you a cutoff of 9.6v. 20 amps times 9.6 volts is 192 watts. Keep it under 175 watts for a safety margin and you will be fine with any coil the mod can fire.
Thank you for the informative response. So if my 3 batteries in a series together are still 20A, why would the readout I'm getting be 25-28A. Wouldn't that be more? I know these questions probably seem silly to someone more experienced. I have done a fair amount of searching on the web for these answers, but I do like these more personal explanations to my specific situation.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
Thank you for the informative response. So if my 3 batteries in a series together are still 20A, why would the readout I'm getting be 25-28A. Wouldn't that be more? I know these questions probably seem silly to someone more experienced. I have done a fair amount of searching on the web for these answers, but I do like these more personal explanations to my specific situation.

The readout is based on the voltage being applied to the coil. The batteries may be supplying the mod 12 volts at a full charge. The mod takes that voltage, bucks it down to the voltage that needs to be applied to the coil for your set wattage, and outputs that voltage.

Just for example, lets say you are using a coil that needs 4v to run at 120w. 120w divided by 4 volts is 30 amps. This is what you are seeing as the readout. Now, if your batteries are putting out 9.6v(using cutoff voltage), they are having to run at 12.5 amps(120w/9.6v=12.5a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread