Status
Not open for further replies.

angie howes

Oct 19, 2017
hi to you all.
My name is Angie and i gave up smoking 2 years ago. and have been vaping since this time with no fags at all.
i am concerned though that my sense of smell and taste have got almost none existant.
i have just cooked my partner a bacon sandwich and couldnt smell a thing.
i have asked my doc if vaping and loss of taste and smell are connected and she said no. but i have my worries. all food tastes bland and the same. i can differenciate between sweet and savoury but nothing else.
any insight would be welcome.
TIA.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi @angie howes Welcome :)
Sadly, some people have permanent loss of taste or smell. Smoking is a factor but I have known smokers to bounce back or never get improvement after quitting. I knew a lady who tried to quit smoking aged about 50 believing her senses would improve, but they never did. NHS England do not list smoking as a normal cause of "anosmia".. some people just get it.
2 years without smoking is a terrific effort - be proud of your achievement. :thumb:
Vapers tend to experience issues in the early days after quitting smoking, but most get on an even keel eventually.
In all my reading and listening to vapers, very few report thinking vaping has caused negative effects in relation to smell and taste. I think your Doctor is right. 2 years is long enough to be smoke free and recover if you were going to recover.
I wish you luck with everything.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Can you taste your ejuice at all? If so, I might consider going to unflavored for a bit, see if your tastebuds recover after a few months of that.... That's extremely unfortunate that you are not tasting or smelling and the only way I could see vaping contributing to that is if you vape a LOT and somehow your tongue could get coated with ejuice. Of course, I vape a LOT too and that hasn't happened to me. I'm just throwing ideas out there, and I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Some folks just don't do well with artificial sweeteners and strong juices, so IDK.

Best of luck, I'm sorry this is happening it must be amazingly frustrated. I've heard that acupuncture can be used for lack of smell/taste (my mother is one, she's always telling me what it can be used for). She says she's seen "improvement" in the past, so I guess that might be worth trying if you are really desperate (I would be) but it's not entirely inexpensive to do.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it is recent, just do a search on Vaper's tongue, and you will come up with all kinds of remedies. But the main thing is, it passes. But, if you aren't really tasting FOOD, I'm doubtful that it IS that, since even with vaper's tongue most folks can taste SOMETHING.

Any changes in your eliquid recently though?

Anna

Reactions: Thayamax

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
hi to you all.
My name is Angie and i gave up smoking 2 years ago. and have been vaping since this time with no fags at all.
i am concerned though that my sense of smell and taste have got almost none existant.
i have just cooked my partner a bacon sandwich and couldnt smell a thing.
i have asked my doc if vaping and loss of taste and smell are connected and she said no. but i have my worries. all food tastes bland and the same. i can differenciate between sweet and savoury but nothing else.
any insight would be welcome.

Welcome and glad you joined.
From what I have read, poor smell and taste are closely associated. Might want to consult with a doctor and see if there is a remedy or explanation.
Could check into:
UK Forum

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Welcome and like others have said if your loss of taste and smell is recent, then I doubt it is related to vaping. It could be anything from environmental allergies, changes in medications to some other health concern. Surely something you should consult your doctor about and like someone else said, stay hydrated. Good Luck

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread