New mod = lots of dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1878

Jul 20, 2017
Hey all, i recently switched from a wismec to the ikonn220. I used an aspire evo tank on my old mod and ran at about 50w. Never ever suffered dry hits. Watching reviews on the ikonn, giys are running at 80-100w and raving about it. Im getting dry hits at 50 every 3rd puff. I put my evo tank on and its miles better, again at 50w. Still getting the occasional dry hit tho. Im wondering if its the juice.... the stuff i bought is like 80/20.its thick as hell too. I noticed that after i put my old tank on, the dry hits only started once i out the new juice in. I chain vape/ lung hit a lot too. Dunno if that could be it? I dunno. Are thicker juices generally not good for chain vaping?

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
My guess is it's your thick juice along with chain vaping. I have a 80 VG blend that I can only vape when I build a coil for it as most stock coils I use can't handle it with how I vape (also chain vaping).
the stuff i bought is like 80/20.its thick as hell too. I noticed that after i put my old tank on, the dry hits only started once i out the new juice in.
Sounds like you figured it out yourself. :)

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Don't trust most YT reviewers, and don't trust the "recommended wattage" found on most coils. Those manufacturer wattage ratings are invariably inflated as higher numbers sell better, and a reviewer might well take just 2 draws on the thing and believe that's enough use to know all about the tank. Sure, making sure your juice and wick properly is necessary. Priming and breaking in a new coil is also necessary. Determining the wattage to vape at is completely subject to your preference and "sweet spot". The power required will vary between different tanks, and even different coils in the same tank.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
What i dont get tho, is i can power vape on 50w on my old wismec, never get dry hits. Put the tank on the new ikonn, same settings and i have to really dial back how i vape it. Shorter pulls etc, or im getting loads of dry.

Wattage also is different between devices so you vaping at 50W on your old mod maybe the same as vaping at 30W on your new device.

It would be nice that all manufactures of devices will get in the same page and use a generalized wattage for all devices so that whatever wattage your vaping in one device is the same on all of your devices. That's one reason I went to unregulated and mech mods. That way your wattage depends on the marriage between your battery of voice and the coils build and you can either make your coils to push either a higher or lower wattage depending on your vaping needs. That way you don't have to worry about wether the mod your using is going to push power the same as other regulated devices you own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I vape only High or Max VG e-Liquids and have found the easiest way to help with wicking or liquid flow is to keep drawing when you release the fire button. This helps prime the coil for the next hit and also cools the coil because I chain vape all the time. No power pulls also helps to assure the coil is properly saturated.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, Steve545, I do that with my tank, kind of naturally I guess, I mean, who wants to waste the juice in the tank :) But, I have never had a dry hit on it and I kind of chain vape in the mornings.... Sporadically. But, it's an interesting solution, for sure.

OP, it sounds like you ARE figuring it out. Are you sure you don't want a MTL tank, just to see how much they've improved? It kind of blew my mind, but I had a 2-3 year break on even vaping, and had the realization that things have come SO FAR. I too started on a DL device but it was just too much for me, in every way, and I didn't want to go through 30 mls in a day.... I'm much happier with my vaping style now. Though of course, if DL is working for you, then by all means continue it. Just don't go nuts with the watts or nic level, eh? Hope it all works out and you return to happy, non-problematic vaping, however you do it :)

Anna

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I vape only High or Max VG e-Liquids and have found the easiest way to help with wicking or liquid flow is to keep drawing when you release the fire button. This helps prime the coil for the next hit and also cools the coil because I chain vape all the time. No power pulls also helps to assure the coil is properly saturated.

If your building your own coils what also helps is taking the sharp tipped tweezers (all metal in the CM kit) and thin out the tails of the wick then trim before stuffing in juice channel in RTA or RDA. Helps pull juice from deck up to the thicker non-thinned cotton in the coil itself.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
If your building your own coils what also helps is taking the sharp tipped tweezers (all metal in the CM kit) and thin out the tails of the wick then trim before stuffing in juice channel in RTA or RDA. Helps pull juice from deck up to the thicker non-thinned cotton in the coil itself.

No, I was referring to factory made coil..............

Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Just seamed unrelated to what I had posted about my own experience. Not really a big deal just confusing as the reason why you quoted me like I said.

Ok well my bad. I guess I should have posted instead of quoting you. My apologies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, check out your user manual and see if it's possible to remove the auto preset, and if that fixes the issue. You probably have the ability to modify temp. Also, every mod IS different. I switched to a Tesla Nano Steampunk 120, and a) it reads coils quite differently and b) I had to switch my wattage as that thing was so powerful for what it does, I was getting overwhelmed with vape, and turned down the wattage. I'm not saying buy one (unless you want to), but it takes a bit of time getting used to a new mod, just like a new tank.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread