Status
Not open for further replies.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
It happens to more than Protanks. I think the reason is it easier on the Protank is that it does not have removable drip tip to take the brunt of the blow. I've dropped other tanks and broken drip tips off when ON my Provari. You can find replacement bases for under $2.00 I believe on Discount Vapors. I ordered spares when I got my two soon to be three tanks. Any tank can break off. Happens all the time. To get the broken piece out just put the other half on top matching up the break and twist it out or use an Ezout broken screw remover or a wood pencil that has barely been sharpened. Don't use needle nose. Snap ring pliers may also work to get that piece out. Just be glad the glass didn't break. It's harder to find tops. I've dropped my Provari with Protank and my Zmax with Protank and not broken one. Was on carpet so that may have been a factor.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Guess I should make mention
Kanger is well aware of ProTank Base issues.
As of second release - End of April/May shipping Kanger has supposedly addressed the weak threading, leaking issues on Revised release.
Replacement Bases are supposed to be of better quality.
Probably would help if people were not still getting First release product from slow moving inventory at some dealers.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Guess I should make mention
Kanger is well aware of ProTank Base issues.
As of second release - End of April/May shipping Kanger has supposedly addressed the weak threading, leaking issues on Revised release.
Replacement Bases are supposed to be of better quality.
Probably would help if people were not still getting First release product from slow moving inventory at some dealers.

Dang...beat me to it!

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
See we were discussing this on another thread last week. I bought a handful of bases and my thought on it is this:

I would much rather the threads snap, so I can replace the 2 dollar base than they hold tight and damage
A) the tank itself
B) the 510 threads to my PV

I view this as a safe breakaway device and I just carry an extra base with me now. No big deal, and it is the cheapest thing in the assembly. With the tank being heavy and my ProVari being heavy, something has to give. What better than this part?

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
I'm pretty upset too. I hit the car in front today and my bumper fell off. Why can't they make better bumpers?
Who to blame, me or the manufacturer for hitting the car in front.

Understand your frustration, but it all depends on the point of impact. Why don't you look at the bright side, your provari is still intact.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
A Protank or Protank2 properly mounted with a Tank adapter will not break the threaded portion.
Unfortunately you cannot use one on a Provari - no ego threading.

Protank and Protank 2 both use the same Base

Discount Vapors for a replacement.

We're probably talking about different adapters. My Tank Air Flow Regulator has a 510 thread, not Ego.

As mentioned before the tank took a hard knock which is what broke the Protank thread. My Vamo threads were spared problems by the regulator.

Ymmv.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I heard this was a know issue and they have
updated to a stronger thread.
Will probably take awhile for these to
show up in the stores though.

I have a feeling they won't fix the problem, since the PT2 is out. Everyone should probably pick up some replacement bases to have on hand just in case.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
I can't say as I blame the OP for being a bit peeved. Two feet? Onto carpet? Heck, I've dropped my egos millions of times (ok, that might be a slight exaggeration). The worst was when the dog's tail knocked it of the coffee table. It sailed across the room, hit the cast iron woodstove and dropped onto the tile floor. Hit so hard it knocked the cheap CE4 off its threads (so it was crooked on the battery). After a bit of jiggling, I snapped it back and everything was fine. Nothing broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread