New PSA on Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
Saw a PSA on cable warning of the hazards of youth vaping "drugs" through "personal vaporizers". The PVs shown were the standard pens and box mods we use with standard tanks and carts containing e-juice.

The PSA was fraught with comments about how ERs were being bombarded with cases of teens requiring treatment for drug ingestion via personal vaporizers. At no time were specifics as to what sort of drugs were being vaped mentioned, nor were loose leaf vaporizers shown.

My mother, who knows I vape, and suffers from COPD and requests that I not vape around her despite my explaining that the exhaled vapor isn't dangerous (and which request I respect), and also knows that in my younger days I went much farther than "experimenting" asked me what sort of drugs would be used in a vaporizer.

I had to tell her that i hadn't a clue and explained what i knew about loose leaf vaporizers.

MODS, I am NOT asking for info on what sort of liquid drugs could be vaped other than nicotine. I am warning of a new anti-vaping tack being taking by the anti-vaping nazis: that being that vaping is a gateway to drug use amongst "our youth".

AFAIK, vaping "drugs" requires the use of different hardware than that used for vaping nicotine. What was shown in this segment was the sort of hardware that we use to vape e-liquid with nicotine.

My mother called me into the room to watch the segment,which she had seen once before because the hardware was identical to my PVs and she was concerned that I might be arrested for "drugs" while using my PV.

Just a head's up.

Reactions: LaraC

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I saw this posted on FB. What they are talking about is synthetics, there are a number of them that can be taken multiple ways. It is not a problem with vaporizers, it is a problem with illegal substances. They don't attack RYO smokers because rolling papers can have other uses. Vaping is the hot topic right now, and scary headlines sell.

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
The problems with this is its one more way to go after vapers, and it plays on a ready reservoir of extant fear. My drug knowledge stops around 1982, so I'm totally out of the loop on this stuff other than what i read in the news. The PSA was definite, breathless fear mongering.

My mother, who is 81, is accepting of my vaping, but really concerned about my being arrested for either drugs and having to undergo blood tests, or for having paraphernalia. The only reason I know about the loose leaf and wax cartridges is that V2 Cigs advertised them along with the vape pens I purchased from them when i first started vaping.

Reactions: nicnik

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
The problems with this is its one more way to go after vapers, and it plays on a ready reservoir of extant fear. My drug knowledge stops around 1982, so I'm totally out of the loop on this stuff other than what i read in the news. The PSA was definite, breathless fear mongering.

My mother, who is 81, is accepting of my vaping, but really concerned about my being arrested for either drugs and having to undergo blood tests, or for having paraphernalia. The only reason I know about the loose leaf and wax cartridges is that V2 Cigs advertised them along with the vape pens I purchased from them when i first started vaping.

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
That's a different (and much shorter one than the one i saw on CLTV (I think). This was very "documentary" styled with an undertone of hysteria. Pictures of emergency room beds, several vape pens and box mods showing tanks and clearos full of various colors of e-liquids, some vapers blowing clouds, etc. It lasted a few minutes.

Mum doesn't have DVR so I couldn't get her to record it. I've asked my sister to record it if she sees it, but she got married on Sunday, and that,I'm sure, has added to what is already an unusually high level of scatter-brained-ness.
One of the mods shown was identical to mine to the uneducated eye: an iStick with a Nautilus tank (mine are iStick 30w with Kanger Genitanks), which is when mum panicked about my getting busted.

There are sites I can visit if i want to learn more about "modern" synthetic drugs, I suppose, and I suppose I could learn about vaping them there, but I really have no interest. My concern is about the mass media linking vaping in general to drug use as opposed to vaping drugs being a specialized subset of vaping in general, and not the norm.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

I watched it. Yeah, it's really bad. Thanks for the alert. It looks like a one-time airing, fortunately, but also likely a new coordinated ANTZ escalation of the drugs/ecigs scare.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That's a different (and much shorter one than the one i saw on CLTV (I think). This was very "documentary" styled with an undertone of hysteria. Pictures of emergency room beds, several vape pens and box mods showing tanks and clearos full of various colors of e-liquids, some vapers blowing clouds, etc. It lasted a few minutes.

Mum doesn't have DVR so I couldn't get her to record it. I've asked my sister to record it if she sees it, but she got married on Sunday, and that,I'm sure, has added to what is already an unusually high level of scatter-brained-ness.
One of the mods shown was identical to mine to the uneducated eye: an iStick with a Nautilus tank (mine are iStick 30w with Kanger Genitanks), which is when mum panicked about my getting busted.

There are sites I can visit if i want to learn more about "modern" synthetic drugs, I suppose, and I suppose I could learn about vaping them there, but I really have no interest. My concern is about the mass media linking vaping in general to drug use as opposed to vaping drugs being a specialized subset of vaping in general, and not the norm.
Right, I saw the one you're talking about, with a brief interview with an ER doctor, I just can't find the FB post anymore. It may have been deleted. The pv's and mods that they showed were all e-liquid vaporizers, they even had some footage from vape shops. They didn't have anything actually linking the two except for people "saying" that they were linked.

Again, it is possible to use e-cigarettes for other things, but that doesn't make the e-cigarettes the problem. The problem is the illegal substances. There is nothing in your vape that you don't want/put there.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Ok, I haden't seen this message yet. Sounds bad and it's apparently airing nationwide.

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
Well, CLTV is a cable news channel only available in the Chicago area cable TV market. The problem is that this may be picked up by other cable markets, and I'm sure it's out on YouTube, though I haven't personally checked.

It's bad, though. It ran several times on CLTV apparently, as I've now been contacted by non-vapers who have my Facebook contact info regarding it: everything from wanting to know what my thoughts were, to a couple of elderly friends/relatives who were concerned about me "getting in trouble".

So, the spot did rattle some cages in Chicago. My hope is that it rattled enough vaper's cages for them to at least speak up. I've had the TV on ever since i got home on our local access station in hopes the spot would run up here. If it does, I'll write an editorial and send it in to the Milwaukee paper.

Blathering and typos here aside, I'm a fairly effective writer when I have to be.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Well, CLTV is a cable news channel only available in the Chicago area cable TV market. The problem is that this may be picked up by other cable markets, and I'm sure it's out on YouTube, though I haven't personally checked.

It's bad, though. It ran several times on CLTV apparently, as I've now been contacted by non-vapers who have my Facebook contact info regarding it: everything from wanting to know what my thoughts were, to a couple of elderly friends/relatives who were concerned about me "getting in trouble".

So, the spot did rattle some cages in Chicago. My hope is that it rattled enough vaper's cages for them to at least speak up. I've had the TV on ever since i got home on our local access station in hopes the spot would run up here. If it does, I'll write an editorial and send it in to the Milwaukee paper.

Blathering and typos here aside, I'm a fairly effective writer when I have to be.
I believe when I saw it, it was an abc affiliate, but I could be wrong. Like I said, the fb post that I saw it on has disappeared, as have the "likes" I received for my comment that I posted. I can't find any trace of that longer video. I did see some older news stories about pretty much the same thing. It's just a headline grab.

Reactions: EBates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread