new set up, not impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
So, I buy a mechanical mod put a fully charged 350 battery in, attach a low res cart and take a draw.
My battered 650 ego on half a charge performed alot better!
I thought a mod would have been better?

As you have taken the plunge, we need to fix you up. :)

Can you test the output with a meter? Can you check the resistance of the carto? If these are normal, then some investigation is in order.

A 2.0 ohm carto on a fresh battery should be kicking out decent vapour.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
There are lots of possible problem points here. The drawback of the eGo you mentioned is that it is regulated to 3.2v or so. By the same token, that regulation means that you get that same voltage whether full or half charged. The same cannot be said for a mechanical. Testing under load is the best way to figure out what's going on. I'd start with the battery. Is is a high drain battery? If not, you may see it drop pretty drastically under load. The next step is to make sure all of the threaded connections on the body of the mechanical are good and clean.

You should definitely get a better experience with the mechanical, at least with a fully charged battery.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies. Here is my set up :
Sigeili telescope #20 (brand new)
Boge low resistance cart (2.3 ohms according to vamo)
Efest imr 18350 battery
Thanks.

That's a standard res carto. LR would be 1.5- 2.0 ohms. On my Mech Mod firing at 3.7 volts I use a 1.7 ohms.

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I think I will have to try different batterie, hope it helps.
As for cartos I'm stumped I've tried 3 new ones, each one saying low on the wrapping yet showing 2.2 and two at 2.3 ohms.

These are the ones I use.
Below Resurrector aka SmokTech 1.7 XL (1.8 ml) single coil at 3.7 volts.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
A good high quality battery can make all the difference in the world in a mech. I know Efest has its fans, but I'll never buy another one. I suggest getting an AW 18350 IMR, I think you'll see a big difference.

I'll also agree with Vapoor eyes on the carto resistance.

The guy at my local shop (they only sell Efests obv) tried to tell me "In all the tests the Efest's outperformed the AW's", i just nodded my head rather than saying 'well my tests disagree'.

Dont get me wrong the efests are fine, but the AWs perform better/last longer for me.

ij1889

Oct 30, 2013
Minneapolis, Mn
The guy at my local shop (they only sell Efests obv) tried to tell me "In all the tests the Efest's outperformed the AW's", i just nodded my head rather than saying 'well my tests disagree'.

i laughed when i read that, i would not trust that store at all,

your mech mod will only be as good as your batteries are! im not a big fan of the smaller batteries i feel like a high drain 18650 work the best, i have aw and the sony 30a batteries and the work fantastic with my mech mod.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I think I will have to try different batterie, hope it helps.
As for cartos I'm stumped I've tried 3 new ones, each one saying low on the wrapping yet showing 2.2 and two at 2.3 ohms.

I don't see that your batts would have that much of an impact when freshly charged. Realize your Mech Mod fires at 3.7 volts and anything above 2.0 ohms really weakens the vape. I run a non profit vape prog and we issue Kgo 3.7 volt PVs along with the SmokTech XL 1.7 ohms single coil ohms cartos.

Like Bad I'm not a fan of the Efests. AW, Panasonic or MNKE are my choices. I have the Pannys cuz they were on sale- 2 X 2250 mah for $10 delivery included. Actually own 10 of them :facepalm:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Dont get me wrong the efests are fine, but the AWs perform better/last longer for me.

My experience:

I've ALWAYS used AW IMRs in both me regulated and mechanical mods. When buying a charger and batteries for my daughter's first mod setup, I decided to try some Efests for the heck of it. I got two 14500 IMR Efests for her and two 18350 IMR Efests for my Mini Provari.

For the first couple of weeks, I noticed no difference between the Efests and AW's in a rotation. But then after that I noticed a sharp decrease in battery time, almost by half with the Efests. Around the same time, my daughter asked why her batteries were only lasting a couple of hours, when they lasted 4 - 5 hours when new.

I had her give me her Efests and I gave her my AW's I was using in my 14500 mod. The Efests are all now in a drawer.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
While I agree that I prefer AW batts over efest in the long run, I highly doubt your dislike of your new setup is being caused by the efest battery if your not happy with it with a freshly charged new battery.

How does the carto your using on your new mod perform on your 3.2 volt Ego ? or your vamo set to 3.7 volts ?

Personally I find any carto over 2 ohm to be too high to use on my mechanicals. I much prefer 1.5- 1.7 ohm cartos or 510 attys.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
To be honest I put the so called low res carto on the ego and vaped away no problem, didnt even charge the ego!
Switch back to mod and hardly anything.
It's probably the switch in the Sigelei #20, they have been a problem since they came out, most vendors just pulled them and stopped selling them.

sneakerpimp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
The O.C.
fwiw my KTS in 350 mode with 2.0 ohm carto does a pretty nice job and hits harder than my eGo Mini + eVOD 1.8 ohm.

10586221086_5cdd670442.jpg

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
What they said^^^^. Low resistance 510 Boges are 2.0 Ohms and vary from 1.9 to 2.1. Your reading is definitely high. I only use AW, MNKE and Panny IMR's too. I have an eFest charging bag....Probably not the battery though if new fully charged, probably the carto. 3.7 volts at 2.2 Ohms is only 6.2 Watts, or a little low for me. I'm usually between 6.5 and 7.5 on the Watts, and many juices will have their sweet spot in that range. I think you need a lower resistance carto for sure. Also, your vape shop is not very knowledgeable. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread