Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Essentially what you are presenting is data that says vaping is not safe and produces carcinogens at temperatures above 450 or so that exceed the carcinogens produced by tobacco.

More/less. Phrased a different way, according this data, vaping is not safe above about 450F.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Everybody relax.
Its not like your setup turns into a Carbonyl-spitting monster even if you don't use TC. As long as there is enough liquid on the wick and enough airflow, it cools down on itself without TC anyway.
I have not yet seen a serious analysis (one that does not dry burn the hell out of the atty) that detects more then trace amounts of Form/Acetaldehyde and I work in this field.
I'm relaxed, just trying to understand it all.

Reactions: Herrick

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
LOL

Sub ohm creates less aldehydes than a burning ce4.

Who knew?!?!?

EHEM, little secret...
You can taste it.

b2e99908cd71d810727150a077c4ceaa.jpg

Tapatyped

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
I'm not really sure what to make of this as cancer research UK did a long term study that showed 97% less carcinogens in smokers after switching to e cigs after six months of vaping . Is this study wrong , I doubt it .
On the plus side if you don't go over 200 degrees c then all is good . But how do you tell. I think I vape at a low temperature or at least the vape seems cool.
Vape on .

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Everybody relax.
Its not like your setup turns into a Carbonyl-spitting monster even if you don't use TC. As long as there is enough liquid on the wick and enough airflow, it cools down on itself without TC anyway.
I have not yet seen a serious analysis (one that does not dry burn the hell out of the atty) that detects more then trace amounts of Form/Acetaldehyde and I work in this field.

This is not dry burning

upload_2017-3-5_19-52-49-png.639173

At 10W people are clearly getting above the breakpoint where carcinogens start exceeding that of combustible tobacco.

upload_2017-3-6_8-32-45.png

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
This is not dry burning

upload_2017-3-5_19-52-49-png.639173

At 10W people are clearly getting above the breakpoint where carcinogens start exceeding that of combustible tobacco.

View attachment 639295
Yet at 25 watts on the subtank, it was less than 1% and less than 0.1% that of the ce4 at any power level.

WE NEED to stop thinking of this as a power related situation.

This is coil temperature dependent ONLY.

And thinner wire gets WAY HOTTER WAY FASTER. With FAR LESS POWER!!!!!!!!

This means TOOTLE PUFFERS are at a FAR HIGHER danger.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I'm not really sure what to make of this as cancer research UK did a long term study that showed 97% less carcinogens in smokers after switching to e cigs after six months of vaping . Is this study wrong , I doubt it .
On the plus side if you don't go over 200 degrees c then all is good . But how do you tell. I think I vape at a low temperature or at least the vape seems cool.
Vape on .
There's more than these compounds.

We're talking 5 or 6 vs the thousands in cigarettes.

Tapatyped

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Vape on .

The only way to know is to use a TC device. I vape quite enjoyably in the 420F- 450F range.

As for the UK study, which I also think is valid, that study looked at all the carcinogens associated with tobacco.

These studies were only looking two specific carcinogens, formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde. Which indeed are much lower exposure than cigarettes as long you stay under 470F, but above that the exposure can be 10 times that of cigarettes.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
The only way to know is to use a TC device. I vape quite enjoyably in the 420F- 450F range.

As for the UK study, which I also think is valid, that study looked at all the carcinogens associated with tobacco.

These studies were only looking two specific carcinogens, formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde. Which indeed are much lower exposure than cigarettes as long you stay under 470F, but above that the exposure can be 10 times that of cigarettes.
Kurt said you can taste it.

I agree.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Essentially what you are presenting is data that says vaping is not safe and produces carcinogens at temperatures above 450 or so that exceed the carcinogens produced by tobacco.
Hopefully no-one is saying vaping IS SAFE.

Hopefully we're all saying vaping IS SAFER than smoking.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Mechs, particularly with a fresh battery, are probably one of the riskier devices. You simply dont have any control over what temps you are hitting.
Meh... build to temperature.

Once the coil is installed, there's no button you can hit to accidentally go from 10 Watts to 240 Watts without noticing.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Probably valid, for an experienced vapor. Not sure about the noobs though.
And some (probably many) veterans.

Think of all the people that come back after years looking for their 1st and second gen gear they love...

And all the folks ready to help because they still use it and know where to get it.

Wasn't long ago, the last discussion on ce4's.

Tapatyped

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Meh... build to temperature.

Once the coil is installed, there's no button you can hit to accidentally go from 10 Watts to 240 Watts without noticing.

Tapatyped
Is someone is doing the math via a calculator or whatever, they can probably hit a range. However how many mech user do the math? Most I know just build fat azz coils and stick them in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread