Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Why do I request Attys instead of buying them myself?

I sure would love to test a:
TFV8 Baby Beast
And the 9 different cartridges available for it.
Since this is a currently popular atty that doesnt do TC, it would be a great candidate.

Any volunteers to send me one? Add $7 for postage and I will send it back.
Note, while I definitely would not destroy the atty, it is possible I could destroy the cartridges, but I dont think so by looking at the pics.

Folks, I have never brought up the money involved in doing these tests before, its my contribution. Here is an idea of what I am paying out of pocket to run these tests for the community:
  • Equipment: Practically nothing as I already own, or have access to everything used so far. (The exception is noted below, I just placed an order today)
  • Theremocouples: This is where I have spent the bulk. These micro thermcouples cost about $20 each. They are very fragile and do not last long. They also burn up when pushed much past 500f. I consume anywhere from 1-5 thermocouples per test published. So let call it an average of 3, thats $60 per test out of my pocket. Now, I have not, and will not ask for donation to cover that, it is my contribution.
  • Considering I am already paying for the consumable probes, I dont think it is fair to pay for the vape gear too. I will test it for free, but I am not going to buy a boatload of attys that I personally dont want for myself. That is a hard line I am drawing.
So I have two choices:
  1. Ask you folks to let me borrow your vape gear, and cover the return postage.
  2. Start asking "vendors" for donations.
    • I will not do this!!!
    • It puts the impartiality of a test into question.
    • It could be construed as a "shill".
    • What if a vendor donates all of the Baby Beast stuff and the tests come out horrible? How is that vendor going to feel when I publish honest results?
So, its up to you folks if you want this work to continue!

I have also just purchased a rather expensive "8 Channel Thermocouple USB Data Acquisition Module". This will measure much faster, 10 time a second, and can also measure 8 probes at once. For example, I could stick a probe in each of the 4 coils at once on one of those Baby Beast cartridges and see if there is any difference from coil to coil.

upload_2017-6-26_16-20-20.png

upload_2017-6-26_16-12-30.png

Soooooo, if you want this data collection to continue, it is up to you folks to start coming up with some Attys for me to test! You will get them back! We have tested older attys, lets test some of the newer ones like the Baby beast, or others that wont do TC!

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain

Folks, I have never brought up the money involved in doing these tests before, its my contribution. Here is an idea of what I am paying out of pocket to run these tests for the community:
  • Equipment: Practically nothing as I already own, or have access to everything used so far. (The exception is noted below, I just placed an order today)
  • Theremocouples: This is where I have spent the bulk. These micro thermcouples cost about $20 each. They are very fragile and do not last long. They also burn up when pushed much past 500f. I consume anywhere from 1-5 thermocouples per test published. So let call it an average of 3, thats $60 per test out of my pocket. Now, I have not, and will not ask for donation to cover that, it is my contribution.
  • Considering I am already paying for the consumable probes, I dont think it is fair to pay for the vape gear too. I will test it for free, but I am not going to buy a boatload of attys that I personally dont want for myself. That is a hard line I am drawing.
So I have two choices:
    • I will not do this!!!
    • What if a vendor donates all of the Baby Beast stuff and the tests come out horrible? How is that vendor going to feel when I publish honest results?

I have also just purchased a rather expensive "8 Channel Thermocouple USB Data Acquisition Module". This will measure much faster, 10 time a second, and can also measure 8 probes at once. For example, I could stick a probe in each of the 4 coils at once on one of those Baby Beast cartridges and see if there is any difference from coil to coil.

View attachment 667181

View attachment 667175

Soooooo, if you want this data collection to continue, it is up to you folks to start coming up with some Attys for me to test! You will get them back! We have tested older attys, lets test some of the newer ones like the Baby beast, or others that wont do TC!
you didn't figure in your time,,,,,,,that's worth something too. i think 99% of the readers appreciate all of your efforts/work trying to ensure safest vape possible.

i was thinking about 'what if i was running these tests'.......for starters you would think i was jump starting a car with my technique for applying the probes,, and wonder about my focus as i would be leaning over a 71 and 72 Cutlas trying to wick a carburetor with rayon............so in the end it is best i am not running these tests :)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

So I have two choices:
    • I will not do this!!!

View attachment 667181

View attachment 667175

A fair thing would be for folks to donate things they would like tested for all the great work you do. I've looked at fine wire TCs and they are expensive. What type are you using? I'm thinking a Type J or K will hold up better than say a type T based on temperature ratings. I've looked for 36-40awg TC wire with fiberglass insulation but only found it in large rolls. I made mine from a small gauge TC that came with my multimeter, cut off the epoxy bead and twisted and crimped the end to make it smaller but would have been nice to have smaller gauge wire.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
you didn't figure in your time,,,,,,,that's worth something too. i think 99% of the readers appreciate all of your efforts/work trying to ensure safest vape possible.

i was thinking about 'what if i was running these tests'.......for starters you would think i was jump starting a car with my technique for applying the probes,, and wonder about my focus as i would be leaning over a 71 and 72 Cutlas trying to wick a carburetor with rayon............so in the end it is best i am not running these tests :)
I've proven my worth....

That was just my NPR style fund drive...

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
A fair thing would be for folks to donate things they would like tested for all the great work you do. I've looked at fine wire TCs and they are expensive. What type are you using? I'm thinking a Type J or K will hold up better than say a type T based on temperature ratings. I've looked for 36-40awg TC wire with fiberglass insulation but only found it in large rolls. I made mine from a small gauge TC that came with my multimeter, cut off the epoxy bead and twisted and crimped the end to make it smaller but would have been nice to have smaller gauge wire.
40awg probes
Either:
5SC-TT-K-40-36
5SRTC-TT-K-40-36
or these, but they are a pain to have to do the connector end myself
5TC-TT-K-40-36

I have stuck with type K, and teflon insulation. I have some with the braided glass insulation that will take higher temp, but the OD of the insulation makes them impractical, plus you have to be careful with the bend radius on them.

I also have some 36awg stuff, but the response time is just so much better on the 40awg.

I have a slew of other types, in SS sheaths, but they dont lend themselves to twisting through an atty.

OMEGA Engineering | Thermocouples, Pressure Transducers, Flow Meters, PID Controllers

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
The "third generation" toppers I have for potential TC use are Kanger Subtanks and Joyetech Ego Ones. I have non-TC coils for both. Would either one be helpful for testing?
The Kanger Subtanks will be very much like the Kanger Nano I already tested.
The Joyetech One might be interesting. If I remember, it actually hit rather good for its style and time.

Reactions: Eskie

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I could send you a Lemo. Not exactly a new style mod but it has lots of airflow so it's different from the Kayfun. And there are a lot of them out there.

You could stick the T/C down the drip tip like you did with the PT but with lots of room. It's a rebuildable though so it could be used with TC, which is not what you were asking for above. Let me know.

The only other tanks I've got are Nautilus. That would be a good test because they are so popular. I could send one of those but not sure how you could get to the coil. The heads don't come apart the way PT heads do. They can be separated with a punch and socket head, I do it for rebuilding them, but it would mess the wick and coil up. The coil is surrounded by a cylindrical cotton wrap and there's a mesh cover above the coil. Maybe 2 coils one above the other, can't remember. There are vertical coil heads which might be easier but I don't have any. Maybe I could just send you a head to pull apart before I put a tank in the mail. Or someone could send you a vertical coil head.

Reactions: Eskie

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
The Kanger Subtanks will be very much like the Kanger Nano I already tested.
The Joyetech One might be interesting. If I remember, it actually hit rather good for its style and time.

I'll get an Ego One with a 1 ohm coil out to you to keep the fun rolling!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Mike, does my thermocoupler make my atty look big?
After Mikes thorough hands on testing, some pictures and a graph or two, we'll all know the science behind it.

Thermocoupling on a large wick:

33696022.cms

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I could send you a Lemo. Not exactly a new style mod but it has lots of airflow so it's different from the Kayfun. And there are a lot of them out there.

You could stick the T/C down the drip tip like you did with the PT but with lots of room. It's a rebuildable though so it could be used with TC, which is not what you were asking for above. Let me know.

The only other tanks I've got are Nautilus. That would be a good test because they are so popular. I could send one of those but not sure how you could get to the coil. The heads don't come apart the way PT heads do. They can be separated with a punch and socket head, I do it for rebuilding them, but it would mess the wick and coil up. The coil is surrounded by a cylindrical cotton wrap and there's a mesh cover above the coil. Maybe 2 coils one above the other, can't remember. There are vertical coil heads which might be easier but I don't have any. Maybe I could just send you a head to pull apart before I put a tank in the mail. Or someone could send you a vertical coil head.
Anything similar to eleaf GS series is a no-go. Anything that requires "punching" to access is not feasible.

However, if your Nautilus looks something like this from the top, I think I can swing it. I can slip the probe between the coil and the cotton by slipping in a needle to make a tiny hole and then slide the probe down in there, the cotton will swell back around it when it gets wet.
upload_2017-6-26_21-47-51.jpeg

The Lemo with a stock coil would work., but not the rebuidable coil cartridge. I think we need to stick to stock coils for these test results to be of value to the masses. I used to have a couple Lemos, but mine were rebuidable also.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Lemo doesn't take stock heads at all. And I think you're right, there are too many different ways to make a coil and wick for a test to have much value.

Those pictures look identical to my Nautilus heads, even the lettering on the side. I'll send you a Nautilus and a couple of heads. You could dissect one to figure out where everything is.

FYI - there are 2 types of head. I think they are dual horizontal coils, and single vertical coil. Mine are the horizontal type. If someone else here has some vertical coil heads maybe they could donate one.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
That would require closer inspection.....

Oh dahlink. Send me $7.00 and we can diskiss.

;)

However, if your Nautilus looks something like this from the top, I think I can swing it. I can slip the probe between the coil and the cotton by slipping in a needle to make a tiny hole and then slide the probe down in there, the cotton will swell back around it when it gets wet.

MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<snort>

OMG. Kan I stop myself from kommenting here????? I best do. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have lupus and RA and vaping away- prior to vaping I was pneumonia every 3 mos
Now- ZIP since started!
3.5 years now and I didn't Vape today- just cause-
So I'm pro vaping-
NO doubt nothing is better BUT at same time wtf is the .... they spray on our clouds ? Our clouds in the sky mind u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oh dahlink. Send me $7.00 and we can diskiss.

;)

MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<snort>

OMG. Kan I stop myself from kommenting here????? I best do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Closer inspection usually requires stripping off the insulation....

Wet cotton swelling around a "needle" hole is only a technical example of an age old process.

Oh, and....
The difference between a man and a vape is the size of his probe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread