Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
The file names are unchanged from your download? What about a script that could be uploaded and run by Admin who could also have a looksee before executing it. It is asking a lot of a forum admin, but never hurts to ask, right?
Few admins would take that risk, especially on a site this size.
Hell, if I were the Admin I would only do it if I could run it in a sandbox first, with a team watching the results. Even if successful , on a site this size it would take a day or two of being offline to do the production site.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
One image at a time, One thread at a time, And about 50 people working on different parts of it.
May Photosucket be damned to the 7th level of hell.

I wonder how many manhours they have cost the digital community.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I was going to comment that if their original business model/plan showed it would cost $400 per subscriber they made a serious mistake somewhere along the line. As soon as I get everything downloaded it's all getting deleted along with my account. I know they have copies on backup but that will be worthless when they close the doors anyway.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I was going to comment that if their original business model/plan showed it would cost $400 per subscriber they made a serious mistake somewhere along the line. As soon as I get everything downloaded it's all getting deleted along with my account. I know they have copies on backup but that will be worthless when they close the doors anyway.
I am rolling the dice. I have backed everything up, and implemented my own solution for the future, but I am going to leave it there for a while.

They are catching major heat from every News Media giant in existence, even the BBC etc. I am holding out on the chance they may back peddle rather than go out of business. That could be useful for the posts I can no longer edit, or even remember where they exist.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Doesn't matter to me either way. The popups and scripts make it unusable half the time and so slow it hurts the rest of the time. Greener pastures elsewhere and a lesson learned...keep everything duplicated locally and backed up as well.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Doesn't matter to me either way. The popups and scripts make it unusable half the time and so slow it hurts the rest of the time. Greener pastures elsewhere and a lesson learned...keep everything duplicated locally and backed up as well.
Oh, I wont use it to ever post anything in the future, I am just hoping they may back-peddle and give us the historical links back. There is no way I can replace them all myself, I dont remember where they all are.

Any future post will be linked to my own server.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada

Backups for your backups backup is not just for vaping.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I am even going one step further, I am in the process of installing a youtube like setup for video's, you never know. I will (once setup) host ALL my Pictures and Video on MY own server. Not going to trust anyone else ever again. :D
What are you using for the video sharing?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
In the interest of maintaining continuity on this thread, especially as it's an active one, I've done a temporary change to allow you to do edits in this thread. Let me know when you're finished so I can change things back to normal.
Thank you sir!

I have restored all of my Photosucket pics in this entire thread. I appreciate your leeway on this! You may change me back to lowly user status now. :)

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Nice find! I tried for it, but seems you can only install the free version if your hosting uses cpanel and mine uses plesk. And you can't download the free version and to a web install.

Did you try this, they say it works with the free version:

Install via web installer
1. Download the web installer
2. Upload this file to your target destination (usually public_html folder)
3. Open your website target destination URL and follow the install process

Reactions: Eskie

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I am even going one step further, I am in the process of installing a youtube like setup for video's, you never know. I will (once setup) host ALL my Pictures and Video on MY own server. Not going to trust anyone else ever again. :D

Bear in mind, while photos can chew up a bit of your allotted bandwidth, videos will tear through it like it's going out of style.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Did you try this, they say it works with the free version:

Install via web installer
1. Download the web installer
2. Upload this file to your target destination (usually public_html folder)
3. Open your website target destination URL and follow the install process

I just tried this ... it seemed to work. My public folder was populated with the application files. But oddly when the install finished and redirected to the app I got a 404 not found error.

Even more odd at the moment is when I type in the url ..../public/index.php I still get the 404 error but the directory and file are there ... at least I can see them w/ my FTP client.

Giving up for now. Sleep time.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
For those of you setting up your own servers, I certainly hope you're also being mindful of security and are hardening them as much as possible. In addition, you should also be checking to insure that anything you install isn't opening a hole big enough to drive a Mack truck through.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
What are you using for the video sharing?
I am going to try ClipBucket, IF I can set it up. :facepalm: Not done anything like this before and there are a lot of steps in the setup. But I'm going to work on it today and see where I can get.

Bear in mind, while photos can chew up a bit of your allotted bandwidth, videos will tear through it like it's going out of style.
So True, but I have 10TB a month transfer, so I think I will be good for the few videos I will be posting. :)

Reactions: Eskie

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
On deck, phthalates.

No, Boxed Mac and Cheese Is Not “Toxic”

Morning. "Please, sir, may I have some mo'?"

7197733-187654598_4-s4-v1.png

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So True, but I have 10TB a month transfer, so I think I will be good for the few videos I will be posting. :)

What kind of pipe do they give you? Are you assured of a 1 Gbps or whatever dedicated speed you have? With a 10TB data transfer allotment, you likely do, but it may still be worth checking if you're expecting lots of concurrent streams of your videos. If you're not then I guess it doesn't matter.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I am going to try ClipBucket, IF I can set it up. :facepalm: Not done anything like this before and there are a lot of steps in the setup. But I'm going to work on it today and see where I can get.

Interesting, ClipBucket is included in "Softaculous" that comes with my hosting package.

upload_2017-7-15_10-14-20.png

But none of them are supported by Xenforo (ECF)

upload_2017-7-15_10-20-22.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread