Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I have been vaping for almost 5 years and feel better than when I smoked, so I am good. Thats all the research I need, interesting though.

Same here.
I think there is little doubt that vaping is safer than smoking. If there are some hazards associated with vaping, it is certainly worth knowing them, especially if they are avoidable.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
OK, you can influence temp by draw and saturation, but you arent controlling it to remain within the safe range, you are only guessing.
Oh I'm not guessing. I've been vaping TC for a long time and have a temp reference when using kanthal/nichrome.
I guess that's another reason to vape with at least one TC setup, so you have a temp reference.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
OK.

Some believe that Volts/Wicking play a Larger Role in what Wire Temperatures are achieved than the size of Wire.

Guess they are just Mis-Informed.
Most of them also believed that Tootling solved all issues.

Despite myself and others hollering from the rafters for years now.

"Because most agree" is never a legitimate argument.

Tapatyped

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016

Tapatyped
careful , them tootlers are vicious of their methods. Heck tootling is the only way to vape, less You be a chaser of clouds. Sad thing is most tootling devices have no options for tc another sore point of this whole thing.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
So vaping is doomed? It's done? It'll now be open season for taxes and regulations and it will simply be too onerous and trouble for people to stay with it?

So many questions...

I dont think vaping is doomed at all. IMHO we are just learning more about it.

Now as for regs, who knows....

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Tapatyped

Guess I'm just Not into Blanket Statements or One Size Fit's all Beliefs. And see things more from a Physical Perspective.

If you Exceed a certain Wire Temperature, be it a Tootling Puffer or a Gigawatt Cloud Chaser or something in-between, you are Producing Toxin(s) in your Vapor. And the Amount of Toxin(s) appear to be Exponentially Proportional to the Exceeded Temperature.

And If you Don't Exceed this certain Wire Temperature, be you a Tootling Puffer or a Gigawatt Cloud Chaser or something in-between, then the Toxin(s) production is Very Low as compared to a Burning Cigarette.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
What's bumming me is that I'm a bf vaper and I have never enjoyed a TC vape. Maybe it's the spaced coil or the temperature being too cold. It's never hot enough unless I'm on a mech.

Maybe I'm stupid.

Yeah, not the first person I've heard that from (not the stupid part).
A properly set up tc rig will produce vapor even hotter than you're likely comfortable with.

Reactions: SlickWilly

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Guess I'm just Not into Blanket Statements or One Size Fit's all Beliefs. And see things more from a Physical Perspective.

If you Exceed a certain Wire Temperature, be it a Tootling Puffer or a Gigawatt Cloud Chaser or something in-between, you are Producing Toxin(s) in your Vapor. And the Amount of Toxin(s) appear to be Exponentially Proportional to the Exceeded Temperature.

And If you Don't Exceed this certain Wire Temperature, be you a Tootling Puffer or a Gigawatt Cloud Chaser or something in-between, then the Toxin(s) production is Very Low as compared to a Burning Cigarette.

BINGO!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
My wife loves using CE4's on an Ego for out and about. In an attempt to mitigate any current concerns, here's what I think we will do.

Stick to the 3.7 volt/2.4 ohm combo that is about six watts
Avoid repeated vapes without a break
Keep it full of liquid
Replace them more frequently

As she is using a 2/3 PG blend which flows well, the coil remains wet. As an experienced vaper, she tops off her tank well before it is empty. Based on what I've been able to find so far, the vapor temp should be below 400 degrees in this application.

I understand some belittle top coils but I believe using them to produce small plumes at lower watts, they remain relatively safe. Pushing them at higher wattages, even eight to 10, has always been unpleasant and uncomfortable, so a test of them at 10 watts seems unrealistic to me regardless of puff duration and frequency.

That said, CE4's are dependent on the user more than some newer styles. It begins with liquid which is thin and flows well, keeping wicking optimal. In the current market, thicker liquids and higher power are the norm, so that new vapers don't have a high PG choice to support the wicking and lower power a top coil requires. For those reasons, a new vaper should most likely avoid them.

I'm trying to keep us safe while not giving up a successful vaping style which we prefer. Keeping up with further information is important given this research and I will continue to look for more definitive answers.

So it's apparently the smaller coil with thinner wire that is a factor. If so I am guessing that most all of the smaller older style coils would be considered equally risky whether in a CE4, Protank, Nautilus or even installed in an RBA. I'm assuming it's because they reach unacceptable temperature levels so quickly without TC?

I dug up a four year old post on another forum forum where a vaper used a temperature sensor on a CE4 coil and found 220 degrees celsius at 12 watts and 270 degrees celsius at 18 watts. I inferred from that unscientific test that a six watt load on a wet coil would remain below 200 degrees celsius, or about 400 degrees fahrenheit. This is only my inference so far and certainly may be wrong.
This is only my opinion of course, but I think you and your wife are fine. I have no doubt in my mind that by now, you both recognize a dry hit, and likely recognize the hit BEFORE a dry hit, which is the important one. You certainly know how to use your devices to avoid bad tasting vapes. Maybe, if you or your wife are the kinds of vapers who like to draw until the device cutoff each time, you might want to let off the button a little sooner though.

Whats funny is people are so hard to convince! The evidence is here now in Black & White.
I'v been onboard with TC from the beginning, It didn't take all this evidence for me, just a few bad dry hits.
I haven't seen anyone argue that TC is bad, or that it isn't important to keep your vape from hitting the temperatures where emissions spike, the argument that I've seen is against the thought that TC is the only means of accomplishing this.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I think Tootle puffers, MTL vapers, Cloud Chasers, etc can all be satisfied. This is just about learning how to do it safer.
can be Yes but a large majority of totling devices only take factory coils which larger majority are kanthal and not a common tc metal. This creates the sore point and "need" to defend their ways

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
A reference measuring wire temp over a specified duration on a saturated coil for various coil wire diameters and coil diameters at a range of power levels would sure be useful. I hope someone has the time, materials and knowledge to do so, and soon!

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
A reference measuring wire temp over a specified duration on a saturated coil for various coil wire diameters and coil diameters at a range of power levels would sure be useful. I hope someone has the time, materials and knowledge to do so, and soon!
For us die hard mech users, even though I know a dry hit when I taste it and generaly fix the issue pronto.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

You're in the rafters again.

We all know it's a balance.

But it starts here.

Decide what type of vaper you are.

This decides what type of coil you need.

Which then decides a power/airflow/wicking balance.

I've run the gambit.

From 6 to over 100 watts.

From flavorless to mad Murdocks radiator pluid full strength.

From a pin hole to nearly aiming an air mover at my stove top.

From 0mg to 100mg/ml @ 6 to 80 Watts.

Single coil, dual coil, dual twisted, octo coil and claptons alike.

Simple fact;

Give a t-puffer a 20 gauge coil and you're in trouble.

Give a cloud chaser a 34 gauge coil and there won't be a second pull.

Give a mid range vaper either and it's not going to work out.

But once you got it right, you have to match the other variables to get the right draw and surface temperature.

Now let's not resort to emotional string pulling and the facade that somehow this relates to that.

Fact is, it all starts with the coil. You build around it.

Tapatyped

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Been searching most of the morning trying to find something with kanthal which is my preferred wire and haven't found anything useful yet.

Reactions: beckdg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread