ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Now we wait to see how many in the press give this at least the same coverage the e-cigarettes are worse than combustibles lies.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

:D

I'm hoping at least vapers will learn about the science and stop being deterred from continuing to vape, or worse, enticed into going back to smoking.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
I'm hoping at least vapers will learn about the science and stop being deterred from continuing to vape, or worse, enticed into going back to smoking.

At least we have a real study to send them to, something to fight the propaganda the glANTZ crew is spouting. The problem is getting to the smokers who read the propaganda lies that were spread and now know that they are worse.

:facepalm:

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Even with this, there seems to be a revival of that junk Japanese study that's popped up twice today, vague and no comments section in both...............

Must keep the propaganda in front of the public--- glANTZ.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Now we wait to see how many in the press give this at least the same coverage the e-cigarettes are worse than combustibles lies.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

:D
Well, if we don't see you post ever again, we'll know you held your breath.
;)

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
I am always looking for simple and easy ways of explaining the positive aspects of vaping compared to cigarette smoking. Here's a quotation from one of Carl Phillips' older blog posts on why, with just a basic understanding of science, we really don't need any complex studies to tell us that e-cigarette vapor is vastly different from cigarette smoke.

"[h]ow do we know that e-cigarette vapor is not similar to cigarette smoke? The same way that we know that it is not similar to monkey urine - with our scientific reasoning process that says, "Why would we ever even expect it to be similar?" Cigarette smoke is produced by burning complex plant matter which produces a lot of the many known products of combustion and a little bit of more chemicals than we could ever count. E-cigarette vapor is produced by heating a liquid of (mostly) known chemistry, very much not like plant matter, into a vapor phase with little change in the chemistry other than its physical state. The best evidence that we have that they are different is right there in that reasoning."
Normally I just mention the lack of combustion with e-cigarettes and leave it at that. But now I think it's worth going a little further and explaining how combustion causes a plethora of radical chemical changes when complex plant matter is burned, while vaping primarily converts a liquid of simple chemistry into a gas with few chemical changes. That is, unless you work in a PSU science lab and manage to get an e-cigarette to do what it was never designed to do: subject the e-cigarette to temperatures high enough to cause combustion.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
we really don't need any complex studies to tell us that e-cigarette vapor is vastly different from cigarette smoke.

As someone in another thread implied, if that was the case, we (as a species) wouldn't be here today. Somehow, without any labs, we seem to have survived all the 'potentially harmful' substances along the way. :laugh:

Reactions: DrMA

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Normally I just mention the lack of combustion with e-cigarettes and leave it at that. But now I think it's worth going a little further and explaining how combustion causes a plethora of radical chemical changes when complex plant matter is burned, while vaping primarily converts a liquid of simple chemistry into a gas with few chemical changes.

Great way to explain it. AI'll add the part regarding complexity of plant matter to my arsenal. The liquid I usually use is flavorless, and of simple chemistry. How does the complexity of plant matter compare with that of most of the flavorings? I suspect tobacco leaves are a lot more complex, but I don't know.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Dr. Farsalinos is now asking that the original junk science paper published in the NEJM in January be retracted.

Inability (or unwillingness) to learn the lesson from our aldehydes study - NEJM paper should be retracted

In the Vocativ article that Dr. Farsalinos links to, Professor David Peyton, lead author of the NEJM article, discusses Dr. Farsalinos' complaint that it was not actual formaldehyde, but hemiacetals that were detected, and that “there is absolutely no evidence that hemiacetals are toxic or carcinogenic." Of hemiacetals, Professor Peyton declares, "It’s sort of like lead in paint. You want to minimize exposure as much as possible, rather than say there’s a safe level. Lifetime cancer risk is not massive, but also not negligible."

Even for formaldehyde, that statement is ridiculous. Lead does not ever leave your body once it's absorbed. Therefore, it accumulates over a lifetime. ANTZ are always trying to go against the scientific concensus that "the dose makes the poison," when it comes to smoking, nicotine, vaping, 2nd hand smoke, and 3rd hand smoke, and declare, "There is no safe level."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread