New study: vaping no more toxic than breathing air

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
«Cigarette smoke reduced cell viability in a time dependent manner to 12% at 6 h. E-cigarette aerosol showed no such decrease in cell viability and displayed similar results to that of the untreated air controls.»

«Despite being tested with a more intense puffing regime, e-cigarette aerosol showed no acute cytotoxicity in this study when compared with traditional 3R4F reference cigarette smoke.»

This is how future in vitro vaping toxicity assays should be done

Development of an in vitro cytotoxicity model for aerosol exposure using 3D reconstructed human airway tissue; application for assessment of e-cigarette aerosol

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The media makes it's living reporting what politicians and bureaucrats say and pretend that is news when it almost never is. The media would have less access if they supported something that reduces tax revenues.

I vape more than I smoked. I'm sure I have more nic in me than I got from those 25 cigs a day I used to smoke. The only symptom I have from vaping is very slight lung irritation about like working in a dusty environment where the dusts is inert but it's still there.

Apropos of nothing. A couple of days ago I'm tooling along on Belle Isle State park (Detroit, Michigan) on my TW200 and for some reason I started singing (row row row your boat, in various classical music variations). I suddenly realized I hadn't done any singing in decades. My singing voice is back! I got a lot of strange looks on the ride home (but the girls liked it). Life is good.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here is the press release BAT issued today

Airway test reveals e-cigarette vapor produces similar result as air
Six hours of exposure to cigarette smoke resulted in near-complete cell death, but the same exposure to e-cigarette vapor did not affect tissue viability.
Airway test reveals e-cigarette vapor produces similar result as air | EurekAlert! Science News

"The results show that cigarette smoke reduces cell viability to 12% (near complete cell death) after six hours. In contrast, neither of the e-cigarette aerosols showed any significant decrease in cell viability. Despite 6 hours of continuous exposure, the results were similar to those of control cells exposed to only air. Even with this aggressive exposure, the e-cigarette vapours did not reduce cell viability."

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"60 puffs at an independent intense puffing regime, defined as a 80 mL puff drawn over 3 s with 30 s intervals, and using a square-wave puffing profile, to actuate the electronic device. Given that there is currently no standard puffing regime for the assessment of e-cigarettes, the independent e-cigarette puffing regime selected delivered a larger puff volume, more frequently, and over a longer activation time than traditional, standardised smoking regimes. In essence, the independent puffing regime selected for use in this study potentially provides a dose to the cell cultures that exceeds that generated by either ISO or Health Canada Intense (Baker, 2002) machine smoking regimes (Table 1)."

As quoted above: "E-cigarette aerosol showed no such decrease in cell viability and displayed similar results to that of the untreated air controls.»"

...so if overdoing it results in 'similar to untreated air', then regular vaping would display even lower results than untreated air!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
In fact, they would rather have us back smoking - also for the money. If we just quit - no money for them! :- )

Exactly! For the life of me I can't see why "BT" is less trustworthy than "public health" -- at least BT is transparent as to their motives -- profit! "Public Heath's" motive? Hmm.. money... power... control-freaking the whole world until we just want to shoot everyone in "public health"... but we can't because "public health" will probably try next to take away all the guns... oh, they already did that in NY! :facepalm:

And we can't trust "BT"? I'd say they're a great deal more trustworthy than any of the other clowns in this farce, because all they want to do is keep making money, exactly what business is supposed to do.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I am more concern WHY BAT takes part in research of this kind?

Why do you think Campbell's tests their soups? Or why GM puts crash dummies in their cars to test? Why any electric device is UL Listed (tested), etc. etc. etc.

Jim Marshall

May 17, 2015

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Yes, but I don't know of any electronic cigarette or eliquid produced by BAT. Do you?

They have a huge stake in electronic cigarettes.

Regardless of what happens the vast majority of eCigs produced in the future will most likely be produced by BT.

It's true that they are a little bit schizoid about it, but that is mainly because they would like to see eCigs regulated in their favor.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread