New tank from Joyetech: Ultimo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Even though I hate mine, notch-coils might save her from death by a bloody big hammer, it stills needs to be said that this is without a doubt the best one JT has painfully pushed out from their...errrr..."hatchery" after the Delta 2 which I still love.
As far as the rba goes....let's be honest now people, since when have we had an rba for clearo that has been even close to the performance you get from a dedicated rta/rdta?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Even though I hate mine, notch-coils might save her from death by a bloody big hammer, it stills needs to be said that this is without a doubt the best one JT has painfully pushed out from their...errrr..."hatchery" after the Delta 2 which I still love.
As far as the rba goes....let's be honest now people, since when have we had an rba for clearo that has been even close to the performance you get from a dedicated rta/rdta?
So a BIG pass on the RBA I take it?

Well all that is left is the notch coils, I am off to find some! :)

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I have yet to try the RBA with one of my own builds after messing up both included notch coils that came with it. To be honest the (lack off) build quality isn't very inviting to me, but mostly I've just been lazy, very busy and a bit immobilized lately. I have two more new tanks to try and after I get to those I'll give the RBA another try. Might take me a while though.

PBusardo gives the Ultimo a thumbs-up by the way:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Guess his didn't leak. Wish they would send me one of the ceramics from the batch they gave him.

I'm passing on the RBA for this. It looks like a small poorly machined deck, all for a single coil post. If the notch coils work out for rewicking and/or the ceramics eventually come out that stop leaking, the tank will be a nice small 22 mm addition. Otherwise, I'll stick to my real RTAs for building.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
@salemgold Thank you! It didn't pop up anywhere on the site for me, even after registering an account. THe notch coils do seem to work well and hopefully I can get the rewicking down.

That's odd. It pops up for me to the point it is almost irritating lol Oh, well. I usually keep up with codes so that one should work just fine :)

ETA- Just got this from VV-
Now thru Sunday save 20% on almost everything in the store and get a free 30ml bottle of our Viper Vape House Liquid with orders over $25.

Just let us know what flavor and nicotine strength you'd like in the comments section during checkout.

Coupon Code: fallvip

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Done, and worth it for another 5 of them. If I can't get the tank and coils to behave, at least I have a small tank to pop on my Pico to run around with and not worry about treating it with kid gloves.

I am, however, getting another Tornado nano for my stash as it is the best of both worlds with a solid, reusable premade coil, and a real big Velocity build deck as well. Sort of what this should have been.

Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and the leaking ceramic coil was just a one time thing and I'll be fine with another. At least the notch works well.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well an update to this saga. In the interest of fairness, having dumped all over this tank, I was able to successfully rewick one of these notch coils. I realized when trying earlier you have to have it perfectly centered and the top edge cannot have any wick to block connecting to the top cap you screw back in place, or you can't complete the circuit. Some fiddling with position and it works just fine, breathing a bit of life back into this.

Oh, and a rewicked notch coil does not leak either, another thumbs up on that one. I have a bunch of ceramics I'll still play with (over a paper towel, not on a mod), and notch coils inbound (TY @salemgold ) so if I can at least clean the notch and rewick I can get some use out of the tank.

Why has it been so hard for anyone to come up with a reliable, consistent ceramic build for a tank? It always sounds so good on paper, until it's all over the paper towel (sorry, couldn't resist).

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Well after tightening my ceramic so tight I had to use pliers to get it off it still leaked.
Maybe those that don't get leaks only take a few puffs aka don't heat the ceramic up?
I chain vape mine and they don't leak. I only had trouble with the first head and that one was definitely defective. It crumbled when I took it apart. My second and third coils were/are great! I took the second one apart to see if it would crumble, too, but it didn't so I basically wasted that one. I have just been dry burning the third one for a couple of weeks now and it's still performing perfectly. I hate that there is so much variation with these coils. When they work right they are incredible!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So my first notch coil was getting a tad junky. Time for my first rewick! Took it all apart, pulled the old cotton which did look gunky, but the notch coil was all clean! Nothing to even dry burn.

Had to play with the cotton to get it right. It needs to be fairly tight in there, and I was using a strip from a Japanese cotton pad that already had the outer layers pulled. My first attempt was too thin, so the coil was loose in the cartridge (whatever you call the coil holding assembly). Doubled it up, and had to fiddle around again to make sure the notch was centered and both edges were touching metal. Took a few tries before I lost the "no atomizer" display on my mod and finally got a resistance reading.

Put everything back together, filled it, and no leaking (so far, it's only been a half hour). Got a few nice little bubbles out the juice holes that always make you feel better that you have a proper seal, and my coil life has been extended. I feel better about this tank with this outcome. It's actually a nice complement for my Pico when I'm out as it is small and discreet. It also holds more than say my Serpent mini which is only good for ~2ml and not enough for a full day without a refill. This holds ~3.5 ml in real life conditions, which I guess is close to the spec of 4 ml.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
So my first notch coil was getting a tad junky. Time for my first rewick! Took it all apart, pulled the old cotton which did look gunky, but the notch coil was all clean! Nothing to even dry burn.

Had to play with the cotton to get it right. It needs to be fairly tight in there, and I was using a strip from a Japanese cotton pad that already had the outer layers pulled. My first attempt was too thin, so the coil was loose in the cartridge (whatever you call the coil holding assembly). Doubled it up, and had to fiddle around again to make sure the notch was centered and both edges were touching metal. Took a few tries before I lost the "no atomizer" display on my mod and finally got a resistance reading.

Put everything back together, filled it, and no leaking (so far, it's only been a half hour). Got a few nice little bubbles out the juice holes that always make you feel better that you have a proper seal, and my coil life has been extended. I feel better about this tank with this outcome. It's actually a nice complement for my Pico when I'm out as it is small and discreet. It also holds more than say my Serpent mini which is only good for ~2ml and not enough for a full day without a refill. This holds ~3.5 ml in real life conditions, which I guess is close to the spec of 4 ml.

Sounds good
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

Does the notch-coil work well in TC mode too?

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Annnd..............no go on TC. Put it on my Triade, set to 316L SS (figure if it is SS it's that) and hooked up to Device monitor. Straight power all the way. Would have been nice.

Hmmm, too bad. So no TC at all with the Ultimo unless you use the wonky RBA, that's kinda sad in this day and age.

Thanks for trying anyway
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

Would you say the notch coils give hotter, cooler or similar vapor than the ceramic at similar performance-settings?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Would you say the notch coils give hotter, cooler or similar vapor than the ceramic at similar performance-settings?

It's a major step up from my albeit limited ceramic experience. With the notch coil vapor and flavor are superior as the juice is actually turned into vapor, rather than running out the bottom of the tank. That to me is a major improvement in performance, but granted I am applying high standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread