Status
Not open for further replies.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
It's a major step up from my albeit limited ceramic experience. With the notch coil vapor and flavor are superior as the juice is actually turned into vapor, rather than running out the bottom of the tank. That to me is a major improvement in performance, but granted I am applying high standards.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you didn't have much luck with your ceramic coil.

Too bad we live so far apart, I'd love to send you one of my good ceramics in trade for one of your notch coils.

J ulti

Sep 13, 2016
Hi. Can anyone help please? I have posted this elsewhere too.

I have the Ultimo and use an Eleaf ipower 80W. I'm not new to vaping but I'm having all sorts of issues with the coils. I prime them, I let them sit in my tank a while before vaping. I start off at 35W. I then generally vape at 45W and get the occasional dry burnt hit. If I then want to try it at 55W or 60W it's burnt dry hit time!

I use a 70VG/30PG juice. I was so excited by this tank. Clapton coils burnt out very quick and the ceramic coils seem no better. Why??! :'(

I have noticed that the ceramic coil which is 0.5 actually reads 0.61 on my ipower mod. Could this be the problem? I install coils at room temperature etc

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hi. Can anyone help please? I have posted this elsewhere too.

I have the Ultimo and use an Eleaf ipower 80W. I'm not new to vaping but I'm having all sorts of issues with the coils. I prime them, I let them sit in my tank a while before vaping. I start off at 35W. I then generally vape at 45W and get the occasional dry burnt hit. If I then want to try it at 55W or 60W it's burnt dry hit time!

I use a 70VG/30PG juice. I was so excited by this tank. Clapton coils burnt out very quick and the ceramic coils seem no better. Why??! :'(

I have noticed that the ceramic coil which is 0.5 actually reads 0.61 on my ipower mod. Could this be the problem? I install coils at room temperature etc
I use a MaxVG juice and run the ceramic coils at 55W but you can't chain vape them or you will get a burnt hit. The 80W max rating on the coil is very exaggerated IMHO, and I don't have any experience with the Claptons coils.

These coils are not TC so it doesn't matter at what temperature you install them.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all, I too had high expectations for the Ceramic coils and was let down again by another Joyetech product.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Oh yeah, I forgot that you didn't have much luck with your ceramic coil.

Too bad we live so far apart, I'd love to send you one of my good ceramics in trade for one of your notch coils.

I have to say the notch coil really does redeem this tank for me. It's a great 22 mm 4 ml tank that looks good on my Pico, and I can probably get some solid run time out of these notches before having to replace them. I'd like to have a working ceramic as well. Problem is, I haven't seen anyone get ceramic to perform consistently. Maybe ceramic is just not meant for vaping after all.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have to say the notch coil really does redeem this tank for me. It's a great 22 mm 4 ml tank that looks good on my Pico, and I can probably get some solid run time out of these notches before having to replace them. I'd like to have a working ceramic as well. Problem is, I haven't seen anyone get ceramic to perform consistently. Maybe ceramic is just not meant for vaping after all.
I still need to get those notch coils, great to hear you are having success with them.

I don't think the issue is with the ceramic, it is just a poorly executed design with the coil head.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands

I'm curious about the notch coil but fear it is too hot for me to use as well so I don't want to buy a 5 pack before I tried one.

I'm still on my first ceramic coil and haven't used it much lately but it does work flawless for me. It even did TC for a while in SS mode, lol

I use it between 30 and 35 watts though, otherwise it's too hot for me. Perhaps that's the trick with these, stay low? But from what I gather others don't get much vapor at those settings which I find difficult to comprehend seeing how well mine does. There appears to be a lot of variation in the quality of these coils, that's the only explanation I can come with
24664313681_c43e9e55b4_o.gif

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I can't figure what the deal with the ceramic is. But even looking at other ceramics like the Ceravape or the ccells, there are endless problems of leaking and inconsistent performance. To my and my individual experience, ceramics are just not coming out that are reliable. Whether it's poor QC or poorly executed design, I have yet to find a ceramic I would rely on for daily use without worries. If that means sticking to cotton, I can live with it.

All my other tanks now are RTAs. The only factory coil tanks I have are the Plato and a clone Kabuki. I have a Triton mini and a Cerotank buried in a drawer but never use them. This was really my only "factory" style coil setup, and I'm grateful I have a way to extend coil life. I hate throwing out a coil every one or two weeks. It feels wasteful, and with the uproar in the market these days with regulations, I don't want to have issues with unavailable coils.

The only other tank that's similar is my Tornado nano. It has a nice large Velocity style deck that's a sort of hybrid RTA/RBA design, and offers factroy "chip coils" that are dual coil Kanthal that can also be rewicked, just like the notch on the Ultimo, but way harder to rewick than the Ultimo notch. It makes up for that with the RTA build so it's a best of both worlds solution.

I still have a pack of ceramics from my initial order of the tank, and may still play with them and see if some work, but for now I'll stick with the notch. @OhTheAgony you can get individual notch coils from MVS for ~$3 so you could just try out one or two without committing to a whole pack.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
@OhTheAgony you can get individual notch coils from MVS for ~$3 so you could just try out one or two without committing to a whole pack.

Unfortunately that appears to be a USA based shop that doesn't ship outside of the US.

Thanks for thinking of me though, I'm sure I'll find another shop in time that will ship me just one once these become a bit more easily available.

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately that appears to be a USA based shop that doesn't ship outside of the US.

Thanks for thinking of me though, I'm sure I'll find another shop in time that will ship me just one once these become a bit more easily available.

try efun.top

J ulti

Sep 13, 2016
Interesting. I popped into my local Totally Wicked store to ask them about my Ultimo problems. They gave me a free replacement ceramic coil. Primed it as usual. Interestingly I kept unscrewing and screwing the tank and managed to get a more normal 5.4ohm reading. I bought some Totally Wicked 50/50 juice. So far so good. I'm vaping at 50w and yet to have a dry hit. Also now more than one wicking hole is bubbling. Maybe I'll get on better with thinner 50/50 juice.
Too early to call yet...

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Reactions: TrollDragon

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
After me earlier rant I decided to give Ultimo second chance ordering 5-packs of notch and ceramics.
When you think of the numbers one shouldn't judge a tank after only trying one head.
Also will be going 90% VG with this one, my 50/50 might be too thin for 50+ watts.

Another opinion:

I've been using the Ultimo w/MG-notch coil since Sept 9. I'm not impressed, actually disappointed. I have not yet tried the ceramic coil, but will do so when I get tired of the notch coil.

Some background for full understanding:

Since June, I had been using a Cubis w/BF-notch on a Cuboid, and a Cubis Pro w/BF-notch on a Pico (both at 45w/410º TC SS316 mode) with great results. Despite the bad press these notch coils are getting elsewhere, I have them working great w/out spitback (but that's a whole 'nuther story for a different thread).

So when I got the Ultimo, I went straight to the MG-notch, to compare it to the other 2 BF-notch setups.

On the Cuboid, I have to crank it up to 65-70w, 450º, to get ALMOST the same vapor/flavor as the BF-notches. At that, it consumes juice and batteries about 50% faster, with NO better taste or vapor.

Fact is, I prefer the BF-notches in the other tanks: slightly better vapor and taste, and much longer lasting consumables.

The final arbiter is first thing in the AM: the BF-notches give me a better initial nicotine hit than the MG-notch Ultimo!

ps. the MG-notch DOES work is SS316 TC mode! I'm using it that way. It IS a SS coil, so don't know why others are saying it doesn't work.

Hoping the ceramic coil produces better results.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, the QCS-atties aren't for me.
The flavour is good, but you need to crank em up to 60+ watts to get anything out of em.
With single 18650-mods kills the battery way too fast.
Back to trying the ceramics.

I find myself using 50+W as well, so yes, it does require a solid kick to work. Single battery mods will suffer under that load.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Am I being daft? The replacement sealing rings (mine in red and blue) I understand. The other 4 o rings (in transparent and black) what are they for??!

Do you mean in the replacement bag? They're extras? I don't use colored replacement rings, so if I were choosing, I'd go for the black or transparent ones. Or are you referring to something totally different and I'm missing your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread