Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Aren't the little transparent ones for the drip tip? If you pull the DT off (yes, it does pull off as it's more like a cap for the DT on top) you're left with a short drip tip like barrel on top that has 2 o rings on it. If you pull the DT cap off, you can actually use your own DT on the end of that barrel.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Ales Simunic

Aug 23, 2016
Ok. To give my 2 cents. My mate and I both ordered an ultimo tank from FastTech and a 5 pack of ceramic coils. And both had the exact same experience. The first coil, that came inside the ultimo package as a spare was leaking like hell, giving dry burns, inconsistent flavour and so on. On both tanks that is. After we both switched to a new one from the pack of 5, it is like a totally different story. Zero leaking, no dry hits, consistant flavour. Like putting in a different brand coil. So I believe there was a problem with first batches of coils, that they have since fixed. I find no other explanation. And another thing. Both original coils were reading 0.50 ohms, and both replacement coils read 0.57. So something is definitely different.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ok. To give my 2 cents. My mate and I both ordered an ultimo tank from FastTech and a 5 pack of ceramic coils. And both had the exact same experience. The first coil, that came inside the ultimo package as a spare was leaking like hell, giving dry burns, inconsistent flavour and so on. On both tanks that is. After we both switched to a new one from the pack of 5, it is like a totally different story. Zero leaking, no dry hits, consistant flavour. Like putting in a different brand coil. So I believe there was a problem with first batches of coils, that they have since fixed. I find no other explanation. And another thing. Both original coils were reading 0.50 ohms, and both replacement coils read 0.57. So something is definitely different.

Interesting experience. Thanks. I have a box of ceramics that I got at the time I ordered this tank, but after the first disastrous ceramic leak, I've stayed with the rewickable notch. I guess I should try throwing another ceramic in there and see what happens.

Ales Simunic

Aug 23, 2016
Interesting experience. Thanks. I have a box of ceramics that I got at the time I ordered this tank, but after the first disastrous ceramic leak, I've stayed with the rewickable notch. I guess I should try throwing another ceramic in there and see what happens.
Yes try it. I did not mention before, but the entire setup is also not heating up as it did with the first coil. I sometimes chain vape and with the first coil the entire mod got very hot sometimes. Not a case now. It did get hot once after 10 days or so of use. But I took the tank apart, cleaned it, dry burned the coil and is working again like a champ. What was interesting is that although the coil was only 10 days old it was dirty like hell, and I could dry burn it at 25w to almoust white again. I also used an ear cleaning tip to clean the air hole after dry burning and I pulled so much black dirt out of there, that I could not believe. So the case they are making about these coils lasting for months without cleaning is not really believable.

EDIT: and make sure you screw the coil in really tight. So tight, that the black oring is not visible anymore. I read somewhere, that not tight enough also leads to leaking.

Last edited:

Ales Simunic

Aug 23, 2016
Nice to hear the dry burning actually works. That was always the one plus I felt about these as I usually don't like factory coils. I can deal with the notch because it is easy to rewick as well. Otherwise, I'd rather build my own.
Yes. Was a little afraid at first, because my attempts to dry burn a ceramic ccell from vaporesso in my melo 3 was unsuccessful. I burned the wick on two of those. But here it worked quite well.

EDIT: So you say the notch coil is performing better. I was looking at getting a set of these as it seems to be an easy rewick (I just don't like making my own coils, don't have the time), but what is putting me off is the high working wattage for those. 60 watt minimum is going to kill my battery even faster and sip even more juice. As it's already very thirsty at 45 watts. And also wanted to try TC, .... I see here it's not working even though its SS coil.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes. Was a little afraid at first, because my attempts to dry burn a ceramic ccell from vaporesso in my melo 3 was unsuccessful. I burned the wick on two of those. But here it worked quite well.

EDIT: So you say the notch coil is performing better. I was looking at getting a set of these as it seems to be an easy rewick (I just don't like making my own coils, don't have the time), but what is putting me off is the high working wattage for those. 60 watt minimum is going to kill my battery even faster and sip even more juice. As it's already very thirsty at 45 watts. And also wanted to try TC, .... I see here it's not working even though its SS coil.

Yeah, it does need some wattage to get going. I run it about 50W with a 70/30 VG juice and it's a good vape for me. Rewicking is easy, dry burning the notch if necessary is a little tricky but doable, and the amount of juice consumed is not terrible for me. But yes, 50W (and up) is needed to get it rolling. I do use it on a Pico at that wattage, and if I'll be out all day with it, I do need an extra battery in my pocket. On a multi-battery mod it would be far less of an issue.

And no, I haven't gotten TC to work with it, but in this case I'm fine in power/wattage mode.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah, it does need some wattage to get going. I run it about 50W with a 70/30 VG juice and it's a good vape for me. Rewicking is easy, dry burning the notch if necessary is a little tricky but doable, and the amount of juice consumed is not terrible for me. But yes, 50W (and up) is needed to get it rolling. I do use it on a Pico at that wattage, and if I'll be out all day with it, I do need an extra battery in my pocket. On a multi-battery mod it would be far less of an issue.

And no, I haven't gotten TC to work with it, but in this case I'm fine in power/wattage mode.
Using a pico at that wattage, doesn't the tank heat up quickly? I am using the notch on a Wismec 2/3 with 2 batteries and run it a little lower W than you. It starts to heat up if I am not paying attention to how much I am toking on it.
:)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've been lucky with the notch as far as heat. I imagine the ceramics get very hot. They simply do not dissipate residual heat all that well. As for dry burning, you can do that with SS, just not heated all hot and bright glowing. Just a soft pulsed glow and a rinse to remove the residue. I do that on all my regular SS coils as well.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Sulplise, sulplise, my second ceramic head has behaved nicely for the past couple of days!
Maybe the leaking is indeed a QC-issue.
It's weird that a lot of us are having an issue with the coil that comes with the tank, right? I'm so glad I ordered a 5-pack when I ordered my tank because this coil is great when it works properly!

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Even after all me rambling this is still the tank to get, if you are after a good vape in category "less than 100 watts".
Smok is still king of the hill, but for ones not wanting to have 100ml of juice and fistfull of batteries along Ultimo is the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread