New tank from Joyetech: Ultimo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
Trying out a clapton coil head. Damn good flavor. So far no issues.

1ed31d38ededebd41c3102630b6460c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
My clapton coil started tasting funny after a day or so, I put maybe 2ml through it before it happened at most. It's not like burned cotton or anything like that, just funny, can't really put my finger on it.

I went back to the ceramic coil but now it won't stay in TC mode any longer. No idea what's going on, it works fine in wattage mode.

I'm done fiddling for the day though, I'll poke around a bit more tomorrow.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
@cooladdict @CrayCrayRay
Not to hijack this thread, but id like to ask, whats special about dna board mods?
Been looking around and noticed the price hike on them compared to other none dna mods.

Iv looked around the net, and all what i can find is that its better when it comes to software updates,, is that it?!

I hope im not posting this post in the wrong place.
The reason I want one is because I keep hearing about how stable they are and how easy it is to customize your settings. I have a number of TC mods but I have never really gotten into TC because it's too much work to get the settings exactly right so that I get exactly the experience I want. It has been suggested to me quite a few times that I need to get a DNA board and it makes me curious to know what it is I am missing when it comes to TC. I really am okay with kanthal in wattage mode, though, so I just haven't been in any rush to dive in.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Don't get me wrong, I like the DNA board (I just ordered a second one last week) for various reasons, but if you guys just want to try TC there really is no need to spend that much.

My Cuboid mini does most things almost as good or maybe even just as good for instance, and the Artery Vapor Nugget isn't all that far behind it neither. An affordable and popular mod like for instance the eLeaf Pico or the Evic VTwo is more than fine to get your feet wet.

As for getting it right being difficult, I just have to disagree.

I went from Egos straight to TC vaping and building my own coils and DIY my own juice shortly after that, and with some advice here and there from more experienced members on the forum there really wasn't that much to it.

Just start with a stabile wire like titanium grade 1, stick to spaced coils at least for the beginning and you should be in for a very enjoyable and trouble free experience.

Don't overthink it and just do it and you'll see for yourself. Enjoy
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

edit: I just realized I didn't even post a pic of my Joyetech on Joyetech:

28989366291_3fbf0c887e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
My RX200s seems to be giving me a decent TC experience with 3x Twisted 28ga in this new Boreas tank I put together. Quite nice. Definitely better TC experience than I get with my picos, but not as nice as the SMY SDNA75's I have (but those took a lot of time to learn about and tweak with escribe to get what I wanted out of them).

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
My clapton coil started tasting funny after a day or so, I put maybe 2ml through it before it happened at most. It's not like burned cotton or anything like that, just funny, can't really put my finger on it.

I went back to the ceramic coil but now it won't stay in TC mode any longer. No idea what's going on, it works fine in wattage mode.

I'm done fiddling for the day though, I'll poke around a bit more tomorrow.
From what I can find the ceramic coil uses kanthal which would not work in TC mode. I could be wrong about the kanthal, but that's what I've read.

Reactions: cooladdict

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
From what I can find the ceramic coil uses kanthal which would not work in TC mode. I could be wrong about the kanthal, but that's what I've read.

If you read back a page (or two?) Trolldragon and I did get it working in SS316L TC-mode.

But I've since read elsewhere on the forum that kanthal can behave like 316L because this type of SS has such a low TCR value, so I'm not sure anymore.

Before I got this exact same coil working in TC mode on 3 different mods using the 316L profile, and it displayed a really nice smooth temperature curve in Escribe's device monitor, but I can't seem to replicate it again.

I'll try cleaning everything and try again later.

I've been swapping out a lot of different coils in the Ultimo and every time, even after only a little use, there was a lot of condensation underneath the coil. Not so much that it leaked out through the air-inlets, but lots of smaller and larger drops in the chamber below the coil. Maybe this causes a faulty reading, idk.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Don't get me wrong, I like the DNA board (I just ordered a second one last week) for various reasons, but if you guys just want to try TC there really is no need to spend that much.

My Cuboid mini does most things almost as good or maybe even just as good for instance, and the Artery Vapor Nugget isn't all that far behind it neither. An affordable and popular mod like for instance the eLeaf Pico or the Evic VTwo is more than fine to get your feet wet.

As for getting it right being difficult, I just have to disagree.

I went from Egos straight to TC vaping and building my own coils and DIY my own juice shortly after that, and with some advice here and there from more experienced members on the forum there really wasn't that much to it.

Just start with a stabile wire like titanium grade 1, stick to spaced coils at least for the beginning and you should be in for a very enjoyable and trouble free experience.

Don't overthink it and just do it and you'll see for yourself. Enjoy
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

edit: I just realized I didn't even post a pic of my Joyetech on Joyetech:

28989366291_3fbf0c887e_b.jpg
Nice setup!! :)

I haven't given up on TC, but I just haven't found my groove with it. I have tried SS, Ti, and Ni on many different devices (Target Pro, Pico, iSticks 40w TC and 100w TC, Cloupor Mini+, X-Cube II, Reliant, IPV4, etc) with both premade coils and coils I built myself but I either get too long of a ramp up time or I just don't get the flavor and vapor I like so I always end up going back to kanthal. I think that's why I get so excited when I find a great ceramic coil. I can just throw and go and I still get a great vaping experience. I guess I am still waiting for my aha moment, lol.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
This is what I have read as well that it is Kanthal. The resistance change is too high for it to be Kanthal IMHO, I'll measure it later.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Nice setup!! :)

I haven't given up on TC, but I just haven't found my groove with it. I have tried SS, Ti, and Ni on many different devices (Target Pro, Pico, iSticks 40w TC and 100w TC, Cloupor Mini+, X-Cube II, Reliant, IPV4, etc) with both premade coils and coils I built myself but I either get too long of a ramp up time or I just don't get the flavor and vapor I like so I always end up going back to kanthal. I think that's why I get so excited when I find a great ceramic coil. I can just throw and go and I still get a great vaping experience. I guess I am still waiting for my aha moment, lol.

Thanks, it really needs the silver version though :)

Oh well, if it works for you it works, no need to fix what isn't broken. Might as well save yourself some money, unless you want a new toy to play with of course ;)

This is what I have read as well that it is Kanthal. The resistance change is too high for it to be Kanthal IMHO, I'll measure it later.

Are you still using it in TC mode?

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
So I've used the Clapton, Ceramic and Notch coil heads now and I prefer the notch by far. The most satisfying vape out of the three was definately the notch. I rewicked mine before I used it with kendo cotton and its so easy to rewick I seey self getting a at least a few weeks from each head. Vaping at 50w with no dry hits and great flavor.

The RBA isn't my favorite. I don't like the juice channels, or the screw down method. Not to mention the RBA fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

The Clapton coils aren't bad, but like other have said, taste differs after a few days and you can't rewick. 2 - 3 day longevity isn't enough for me.

799b3f5acca65f84548192d74ab3240e.jpg

7b7e6b79e9292ab9726ea3e715f710a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Are you still using it in TC mode?
I tried it out again today in TC and it worked fine. I don't run it in TC as there would be no burnt dry hit and the ceramic retains too much heat I think. I vape it at 60 watts with a MaxVG juice and it keeps up quite nicely.

I did have a look at the screen this morning while vaping.
The Ceramic coil goes from 0.44Ω cold to 0.52Ω at 60W, it is only a small change of 0.08Ω but still too much for Kanthal.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
The Ceramic coil goes from 0.44Ω cold to 0.52Ω at 60W, it is only a small change of 0.08Ω but still too much for Kanthal.
I wonder if they're using tungsten wire like a few other ceramic coils use. Seems pretty stupid that Joyetech wouldn't state what wire they're using.

Reactions: TrollDragon

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I wonder if they're using tungsten wire like a few other ceramic coils use. Seems pretty stupid that Joyetech wouldn't state what wire they're using.

Vapin' Heathen thought it might be tungsten. I have a profile on my DNA200 for it, I'll try it as soon as it's done charging.

Reactions: TrollDragon

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Well, this is weird.

On my DNA200 the ceramic coil works both in SS mode as well as Tungsten mode. It appears to run a bit hot in Tungsten mode though, and I can't get a temperature reading with it in Escribe's device monitor.

In SS mode however it reads about a 100 degrees lower than it actually is in Escribe's device monitor.

edit: that's a 100 degrees Celsius.

I use an experimental version -1.2 SP3- of Escribe, but I don't think that causes it. It reads everything just fine in titanium mode anyway (with a titanium coil of course).

Conclusions anyone? Because I'm a bit lost myself, lol

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I've been eying this tank for a while, been wanting to try out a ceramic coil tank but not sure how this compares to other ceramic coil tanks. For around$20, it's not a bad price but I don't really need another tank unless it's amazing. Btw, is this tank suited for MTL hits?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Vapin' Heathen thought it might be tungsten. I have a profile on my DNA200 for it, I'll try it as soon as it's done charging.
I really hate that guy as a reviewer...
Tungsten has a TCR 0.00450 which is higher than Ti and lower than Ni200. The resistance of my coil only changed 0.08 ohms, if it was Tungsten it would have changed 1 full ohm. Tungsten is really nasty dangerous stuff as well, I'd never use any coils made from it.

I think it is just some janky Chinese Kanthal alloy, I wouldn't put it past Joyetech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread