• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

New Taxes on Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Well, I have an order in customs now with 0% nicotine and they are giving me a hard time. So much BS... how they hell can they tax me on propylene glycol and flavoring? Would they charge me the same extortionate taxes on shampoo? So fed up with this...

That's odd. I get flavor concentrates through duty free all the time. I'm assuming they think the eliquid has nicotine. How large a quantity are we talking about? They may just not want to go through the hassle of trying to determine if it's zero nicotine. I doubt they are set up to test for it. They will no doubt ask you for all original invoices and the burden of proof will be on you to show them it's zero nicotine.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
That's because so many people try to skirt paying duty by mislabelling. I had DHL hold up a $24 atomizer for 2 weeks. In the end I had to submit documents and original invoices. So much for sending it expedited. I could have sent it regular air mail and it would have got here in the same time for far less money. Even FastTech now is declaring the proper values on import declarations. Guess they've been warned. Hope it works out for you. Keep the forum informed. It helps.

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
That sucks, but Waddle is right; I ordered a zamplebox (6mg nicotine) and had it labeled as "essential oils" in December, I'm still waiting.. It's people like me who have given the term "essential oils" or "oil samples" a bad name :p

The funny thing is, I never got a call from customs or anything, maybe it just got lost or something. Atleast the people at zamplebox were kind enough to give me a full refund though

Reactions: Waddle

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
@WhiteKnite

Yes it's just not worth it anymore to import eliquid. Especially when DIY is actually so easy. I still get my flavours overseas without issue and they are declared as flavor concentrates.

If you read the threads here, you will see members such as nwasiq and alljokingaside get their flavors locally from Ameliquid. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm betting they will help you get set-up if you ask them. :)

PG/VG is also readily available in Korea through Gmarket.

And yeah..customs is certainly on to the "essential oils" labelling. It's a red flag!

Last time I ordered from house of liquid they labeled it properly and said they have to do everything by the book now. Not sure why they labeled it as oils this time, I didn't ask them to.

Anyway just heard back from the courier a little bit ago and it is out of customs and on its way. No taxes since no nicotine.

As far as DIY goes I used to do it but now I'm hooked on NET's and don't really want to get into that yet. If I could find a can of zigzag Turkish blend I'd probably start, really miss that stuff but it seems they don't make it any more.

Reactions: Waddle

paulh81

Sep 25, 2015
Looks like some major changes going on in Korea. Our local source is now defunct. So from what I understand, about the only way to get nicotine economically will be to import it in it's highest base concentration possible. And this certainly has its implications.

I was told that under 20ml the tax is 900 won/ml and over 20ml it's 1800won/ml...regardless of it's concentration. I'm fortunate at the moment as I've still got about a 2 year supply in my freezer, but for those who don't I believe this might be useful information.

If anyone can add to this with their own experience it would be helpful.

:eek: I'm new to this whole vaping thing, and just ordered a few bottles of juice from overseas. I made sure to keep the shipments small, and buy mainly from people who advertise as being 'customs friendly'. I was prepared to pay 600KRW/ml, but definitely wasn't expecting it to be 1800KRW! I'll definitely need to start researching how to DIY!

darkpoet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
South Korea
Thanks for the tip nwasiq, I meant to give you kudos months ago but it slipped my mind.

Hiliq site appears randomly blocked or something but hit reload and be patient and it'll work. Their 99% stuff is pretty good although I don't like a lot of their flavors. It's also handy they have drop-down menus for safety gear.

And delivery by Fedex is efficient and painless. My 2nd 100mg mix is in the freezer and just waiting for a nic strength test (to verify I didn't under/over-do it) before using it.

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
Thanks for the tip nwasiq, I meant to give you kudos months ago but it slipped my mind.

Hiliq site appears randomly blocked or something but hit reload and be patient and it'll work. Their 99% stuff is pretty good although I don't like a lot of their flavors. It's also handy they have drop-down menus for safety gear.

And delivery by Fedex is efficient and painless. My 2nd 100mg mix is in the freezer and just waiting for a nic strength test (to verify I didn't under/over-do it) before using it.

You're welcome :)

Now I come to think of it, I should have tested my nicotine too. But luckily, the throat hit and taste is exactly the same as when I was using 24mg/ml nic base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread