New to building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel1964

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
My very first build was a 28 g kanthal on a kayfun clone and it came out at 1.3 ohms which is good. I bought a avocado 24 and all I have is 28 g kanthal. Can I use this for a single build option on the avocado? I want at the lowest .5 ohms. Should I do a duel coil build instead. Also the wire seems flimsy for that big deck. Also, do I put the left leg in the bottom post and the right one in the upper part? Sorry for all the questions but I am anxious to try this. I do have lots of sub ohm tanks but they are all pre made coils and get expensive.

Oops forgot to ask if I can build micro coils on it because that's all I know right now lol

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Build whatever makes you happy. If you want to go .5 ohm, I highly recommend twisting that 28ga. And yes, after the coil is wrapped, the legs will not line up, one goes in the high hole and the other on the lower hole. The wire will be less flimsy when it is wicked, especially if you twist it.

As far as making micro coils, yes, you can or you can wrap around something larger, you might find it a little easier than wrapping a 2mm ID or smaller coil. Less wraps too.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
My very first build was a 28 g kanthal on a kayfun clone and it came out at 1.3 ohms which is good. I bought a avocado 24 and all I have is 28 g kanthal. Can I use this for a single build option on the avocado? I want at the lowest .5 ohms. Should I do a duel coil build instead. Also the wire seems flimsy for that big deck. Also, do I put the left leg in the bottom post and the right one in the upper part? Sorry for all the questions but I am anxious to try this. I do have lots of sub ohm tanks but they are all pre made coils and get expensive.

Oops forgot to ask if I can build micro coils on it because that's all I know right now lol
I'll help you girl, first of all the legs can go anywhere, it doesn't matter at all if it's the upper or lower hole as far as one goes in the positive post and one in the negative post.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about. You can clearly see my helixed zipper coil legs go in into both of the upper hole posts. As I said what matters the most is that one is going into the negative and one into the positive post.
30dcxme.png

Second of all, the thicker the wire the less Tue resistance. Look at it as a water hose. The bigger the hose the less water resistance on the hose, the tighter the hose the more resistance. Same concept goes for the resistance in the wire.

If you twist that 28 you'll have more wire mass and hence less resistance for the voltage to go through. Get lower gauge wire and start with simple coils of you're new to this. Get an ohm meter before you even install anything. Make sure you're safe about it. Hit me up if you need help. I got avocado 24mm and love that thing.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I find 28G too flimsy to work with. I always seem to cut the leads when I'm tightening the post screws, and the coils shift out of optimal position when I'm rewicking.
Remember if you are using a regulated device then the coil resistance isn't really important. Twisting your 28G would be a good suggestion.

Reactions: Izan

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Scared me...

I started with just single strand dual coils. I think I got familiar with how to adjust to different ohms.
Do your due diligence dude and research as much as possible before you start subohming. Wire gauge, amount of wraps, ID all play huge role in controlling ohms at first.

Always be safe and check the ohms a thousand times before firing it up

Angel1964

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
Lol I think we already did dude, she hasn't even responded at all lol
No, you can't scare me lol. First, a cupboard fell on my face and cut me pretty good at work (screws came out of the top of it when I opened it) and now I have a bad cold so it's been a couple of crappy days. I was also looking at fasttech for some different rta's and wires. My head hurts! I'm only on page 100 out of 800 and something just for the tank section. I already bought a subtank mini last year but haven't tried the rta section on that yet. I was never impressed by the tank itself because of the leaking problem it had. I have my kayfun lite clone which I did make a coil for and it's working well but I like to subohm as well so I was anxious to try the avocado. Like I said, I don't want to go crazy low. Staying around .5/.6 will be fine. The only batteries I have are the LG hg2s and 3 or 4 built in mods. P.S. I do have an ohm meter and always check first.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
No, you can't scare me lol. First, a cupboard fell on my face and cut me pretty good at work (screws came out of the top of it when I opened it) and now I have a bad cold so it's been a couple of crappy days. I was also looking at fasttech for some different rta's and wires. My head hurts! I'm only on page 100 out of 800 and something just for the tank section. I already bought a subtank mini last year but haven't tried the rta section on that yet. I was never impressed by the tank itself because of the leaking problem it had. I have my kayfun lite clone which I did make a coil for and it's working well but I like to subohm as well so I was anxious to try the avocado. Like I said, I don't want to go crazy low. Staying around .5/.6 will be fine. The only batteries I have are the LG hg2s and 3 or 4 built in mods. P.S. I do have an ohm meter and always check first.
Are you using a mechanical mod or regulated?

There are two separate build logics. Mechanical and regulated. They are not really interchangeable.

With a mech resistance matters. With regulated it really doesn't as long as you stay in the range (~.3-1.2ohms) where most regulated mods will give the full range of power.

The Subtank is a great tank to learn on.

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I already bought a subtank mini last year but haven't tried the rta section on that yet. I was never impressed by the tank itself because of the leaking problem it had.

I love my STM's, but I only use the RBA section. The only time mine leaks is when I drive over the continental divide (going from 4900' to 10662'). Even then, it's only the spare tanks that seep out a little and not the one I'm vaping on as I drive.

I did try one of the ready made coils once but found I much preferred the flavor of my own builds. My method is to cut the wick (rayon) long enough (about 1/2" above the rim) to jam as much as I can into the sides (where the holes are) without covering the coil. I vape 70%VG (thinned a little with DI water) and have never had any wicking issues.

Angel1964

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
Ok not pretty but I twisted the kanthal by hand. ( I diy in the bathroom so my husband doesn't know how much vaping stuff I really have, and I'm sure he'd wonder why I was using a drill in there lol) It ended up as 1 ohm which is a bit higher than wanted but it was thicker and easier for me to put on. Next time it will be better, I promise. ;)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
The avocado 24 is my favorite tank right now. The coolest thing is you can drip with it if someone has juice you want to try.

I would just add to this to get a coil jig. They are like 15-20 bucks. But coil master sells all kinds of stuff (the coil master 6 in 1 v3 for $14.99 is what I would recommend mid 2026) You probably have most of the tools so just the jig is what you need.

Also with twisted 28, just use the hook in a bic pen, sbarpie, etc for example and twist to it breaks. Drill works too, but not needed. Your twist don't look right.

Not a huge fan of twisted personally.

But also more cotton, raise the coils up. As high as possible. The air follows right to the drip tip and you want some to hit the bottom of coil too.

2.5mm-3.0mm ID, 6-8 wraps. Get some 24 gauge. 22 and 26 will work too if you want to try it. Stainless steel is good and easy to work with, seems to taste better, but ohms at 50% of kanthal.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread