Status
Not open for further replies.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I have nic/pg/vg/flavors coming. Also have a good scale. Mixing by weight.
My questions pertain to the tools needed to add the different components to the mixing vial.

Seems like the 'drops' method would not be very accurate, especially for small batches. (10-15ml)?

Syringes? If so, what size/s do I need?

Other methods that I'm not aware of?
Thanks

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I use drops with my scale, in the sense that I use the dropper caps on the flavor concentrates to squirt (or drip) the concentrate into my mixing bottle -- but I'm measuring by weight, so I don't count drops.

If I'm worried that the amount of concentrate called for is so small it won't register properly, I add a weight to the scale. So, for example, if the amount of concentrate needed is .10 grams, I add a 5 gram weight to the scale and measure to 5.10 grams.

(I don't actually have a weight, which was kind of an oversight, but I use a box of matches to create a weight. I can remove/add matches to adjust the total weight, even break up matches, or add a tiny wad of kleenex, for example, to get the matchbox weight just right. I really need to remember to buy a weight. At any rate, it doesn't really matter how much your weight weighs, you just add .10 to that. I like easy-to-remember tidy numbers though, so go with 5 grams.)

I don't use syringes, though I do use pipettes for nicotine if I don't premix a nic-pg-vg base and store in a squirt bottle. I use 250ml HDPE Bottles with twist tops for vg, and pg and / or mixed base.

I have a graduated cylinder that I use for measuring larger amounts of nicotine.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I deal with essential tremors. so syringes and pipettes are out of the question. But will add some personal opinions for what they are worth.....

Everything I read said to try new mixes is small batches. Then I realized the slight difference in cost of 10, 20, or 30ml batches and decided I could absorb the cost in the event of mixing an unvapable mix. So I mix new recipes in 20ml batches (hopefully eliminates miniscule flavoring amounts) in 30ml bottles (bigger hole to hit and room for shaking). That also gives me plenty of juice to try several times over the steeping process. I can see where a 5 or 10ml mix would be better if trying or playing with one's own idea for a juice, but I'm just mixing suggested recipes so far.

The flavorings I've gotten so far have come in different bottles/caps (some with just a cap), seemingly dependent on brand and size of bottle. So I picked up some extra eye droppers to get me by until I can hopefully get some twist caps or other top for dispensing.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I mix by weight. I use the dropper bottles that the flavoring comes in. I use a glass 30ml glass bottle with a glass dropper to hold enough nic for several 100ml mixes whether I make that large a batch or not. I just use droppers from juice I bought before I started mixing. I do mot count drops unless it's a miniscule amount. That negates the purpose on mixing by weight. The juice calculator shows mls, drops, & grams at the same time, the info is right there. I just keep squirting liquid into the bottle until I reach close to the right weight for that particular ingredient & then get slower until I reach the right amount, tare, & repeat. If it's over or under a little bit it's not going to make a noticable difference in flavor or nic anyway. Don't get so fixaed on perfect weights that you make a simple, fast, easy thing into an aggrivating, obsessive job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I use 120ml/250ml HDPE bottles with Yorker caps for Nic/PG & VG. All my flavorings come in dropper bottles. I mix right into the bottle by weight, no syringes, pipettes, droppers or beakers; easy peasy. Luckily, I have a shiny new nickel that weighs 5g. Really comes in handy for those minuscule amounts... :cool:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I vape only one flavor at 1% and mix once a month. I have a set of graduated cylinders, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250. I only use the 250 for mixing half liters for a brother who lives in another State. I could mix less often but I enjjoy it and enjoy the certainty of watching the liquids rise to the markings. If I was mixing even larger quantities I would rely on a scale for the PG and VG and cylinders for the rest. On the rare occaisios I might mix very small quantities I may use syringes for some of the ingredients. There are 1 ml syringes and usually a pharmacy will provide them. You aren't asking for the needles. Expain what you are doing. I believe they call it compounding. II rely on a mixing calculator. My recipe currently is 99% PG and VG in equal parts, 9/10th's of one percent flavoring and 1/10th % nicotine (10 mg).

Reactions: Letitia

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I use drops with my scale, in the sense that I use the dropper caps on the flavor concentrates to squirt (or drip) the concentrate into my mixing bottle -- but I'm measuring by weight, so I don't count drops.

If I'm worried that the amount of concentrate called for is so small it won't register properly, I add a weight to the scale. So, for example, if the amount of concentrate needed is .10 grams, I add a 5 gram weight to the scale and measure to 5.10 grams.

(I don't actually have a weight, which was kind of an oversight, but I use a box of matches to create a weight. I can remove/add matches to adjust the total weight, even break up matches, or add a tiny wad of kleenex, for example, to get the matchbox weight just right. I really need to remember to buy a weight. At any rate, it doesn't really matter how much your weight weighs, you just add .10 to that. I like easy-to-remember tidy numbers though, so go with 5 grams.)

I don't use syringes, though I do use pipettes for nicotine if I don't premix a nic-pg-vg base and store in a squirt bottle. I use 250ml HDPE Bottles with twist tops for vg, and pg and / or mixed base.

I have a graduated cylinder that I use for measuring larger amounts of nicotine.

You might want to have a look at this thread to get some more ideas Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I also use the flavor bottles to add drops on the scale. When it gets close to the desired weight I drop slowly and wait for the scale to settle between drops.

I tend to add the nic first, then PG, and VG, followed by flavorings last. Adding the heavy ingredients first would probably be more desirable, but that's just the way I started. My thoughts were that if nic is on the bottom I probably won't get a hot nic hit if I don't shake it the first time as well as I should.

I have done the calibration on my LB-501 scale. Before doing it I just weighed the calibration weights before using it the first time and got 200g with the first weight and 400 grams when I added the second weight. Periodically, I just place the weights on the scale and check to see if they weigh correctly. So far, they haven't been off.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've gone by volume since I started with DIY. I first mix about a cupful (250 ml) of PG, VG and the nicotine according to Juice me up, this is stored in a large jar kept in the fridge.
When adding flavors to the mixture I just about fill a bottle and then add drops of favoring. I've got a 10 ml syringe, a 50 ml glass bottle, dropper. No one has mentioned steeping which I have found is needed with some flavors. I opened some bottles that I had put aside because there was no flavor and after a month or so the flavor was there so I began steeping.

Reactions: Letitia

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
A nickle weighs 5g (or it should).

A 10 Euro cent coin weights 4.1g
2002eurozone10eurocentrev240.jpg

Cheers
I

Reactions: tazzle