New to mesh with a nextgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedlines

Sep 29, 2014
Phuket, Thailand
Hey guys,
So I'm fairly new to a proper Genesis setup. I have a nextgen new to me as of yesterday. I found a few videos and followed the build with [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#200[/HASHTAG] mesh. I seem to get it all together, pulse out all of the hot spots, Finally get a nice consistent fire and feel happy and confident and then fill her up. I'll get a half hour to an hour into vaping it and then a burned hit or hot spot crops up. This might be fine on a traditional top cap setup but with the nextgen it requires the tank be emptied. It is really becoming frustrating. It this just par for the course or can a proper mesh setup not require fiddling for weeks on end? I don't mind getting better at it but if it is something that will require a daily fiddle I'd rather just find something better. Just looking for the honest truth.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
maybe I can help you. I have been playing with my nextgen for about 3 months now. I have 4 of these tanks in rotation (clones). They are my absolute favorite purchase thus far.

The thing I have noticed about the nextgen, and its probably its upside and downfall is that because it uses kayfun style vacuum wicking system, unless you are drawing on the tank strong enough, it wont wick well. Your draw has to have enough pressure to force liquid into the wick holes, they are small so quite alot of resistance needs to be there. Traditional gennies dont have to rely on this to wick.

The other thing is about the mesh, I have found that the less you use the better it wicks from the juice holes. At first I made really fat wicks, which didnt wick at all and I was always getting dry hits. I have now made half as fat wicks and my next gens are performing beautifully. It seems as though if you stuff too much wick down the center hole, there is not enough air to allow the pressure from your draw to wick the juice into the holes.

I use either the 2nd to lowest airflow setting, or the largest airhole setting. I have had to adjust my draw to be able to make the nextgen wick correctly. basically, your inhale force needs to be strong.

I too tried the [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#200[/HASHTAG] mesh thing, I honestly would ditch that and just make a solid simple [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] wick leaving ample room in the center hole. I would also check all of your O-rings and ensure they are in good shape. Any air leaks will make it so that while you might not have a leaking tank, you will not get the pressure needed to wick.

Reactions: TheRedlines

TheRedlines

Sep 29, 2014
Phuket, Thailand
I didn't think about it but maybe the issue is the wicking as well. One thing I notice though is that once I get hit with the burnt taste, the ohms have changed from their original. I have the D2 coming in next week and am hoping building with TC may settle much of this. I will give the looser [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] a shot in the mean time. Thanks.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
I didn't think about it but maybe the issue is the wicking as well. One thing I notice though is that once I get hit with the burnt taste, the ohms have changed from their original. I have the D2 coming in next week and am hoping building with TC may settle much of this. I will give the looser [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] a shot in the mean time. Thanks.

If your ohms are changing then most likely your coil is shorting against the mesh. I tried ni200 builds for a long time with the nextgen and I just could not get it to work well. I probably tried 50 different coil builds inside before I gave up. In my opinion, it is MUCH easier to get it working perfect with kanthal. I have used a 27 gauge kanthal build in mine for almost 3 weeks now with barely any maintenance and its still going strong.

TheRedlines

Sep 29, 2014
Phuket, Thailand
That's what I've been thinking too..... Everything seems to finally work out.... all the hot spots and shorts gone... nice even coil and ohms staying put.... then put it together fill it up.... vape it for a while tasting great then boom nasty burn hit and ohms have changed. I really don't want to use ecowool or something but if it keeps up I may have to try it. I'll give it another build today with only loose [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and see how it goes. At 27ga., how many wraps are you giving it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread