New to RBA's - done my research but still a few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamCee

Feb 23, 2017
Hi guys,

So I've had my smok Alien kit for just over a month now. Absolutely love it, but the price of coils is crippling me, at £5 each. I'm interested in beginning to use RBA's, and want to start with the TFV8 Baby Beast RBA.

So I understand that batteries are very important in this process, and tried to do a bit of research. So the one I am using has a max continuous discharge current of 20A. Now does this mean to be safe I have to stay within 20A? Because of course, I'm not running it continuously, and the spec also states I can run up to 30A for 6 seconds. Would this be dangerous to near the 30A number, as I never take drags over 2-3 seconds on a high wattage anyway.

Secondly, voltage. I've struggled to find much about this, and having dropped physics at GCSE, I am far from an expert. So my batteries are 3.7 nominal voltage, which I understand is basically an "average" running power. So when I'm using Steam Engine and the voltage is going up, is this a problem? Like what would my maximum voltage be? Does it HAVE to stay around 3.7?

Thirdly.. Ohms. Now for the time being, I'm not planning on getting too extravagant with my builds until I'm more confident, and the RBA I want comes with a pre-built 0.3 ohm coil. Now, when building a coil, is this what changes in your wattage range? At the moment I just want a nice and cheap way to replace my coils. So to give an example...
My current battery has: A nominal voltage of 3.7 and a max continual output of 20A.
The default build: 0.3 ohms
If, for simplicity's sake, I run my mod at 100W on 0.3 ohms, Steam Engine states I will have an 18.26A output, and a 5.48V output. Is this safe? Or have I exceeded a limit on my voltage?

Any help is much appreciated. There I was 6 months ago thinking learning the difference between VG/PG was difficult.......

Reactions: 90VG

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
It's a regulated mod. Set it to the watts you want to use. It has 2 batteries, so it can double the voltage. It also has a boost/buck converter to change the output voltage to whatever you set it to (via watts).

To figure out max wattage, take your two batteries at a near dead state voltage level of 3.2 volts, and double it.

Now you have 6.4 volts to play with and 20 amps (If they really are 20 amp batteries). Multiply the two numbers: 6.4 volts * 20 amp = 128 watts. That's you safest "safe" limit for maximum wattage. If the batteries are fully charged, you can go higher:

8.4*20 = 168 watts

But your Alien will handle it for you. Make your coils, wick, prime, set to 100 watts and hit it. If you go to high on near dead batteries, it just wont perform as well (less watts). Regulated "SAFE" mod.

Reactions: AdamCee

AdamCee

Feb 23, 2017
It's a regulated mod. Set it to the watts you want to use. It has 2 batteries, so it can double the voltage. It also has a boost/buck converter to change the output voltage to whatever you set it to (via watts).

To figure out max wattage, take your two batteries at a near dead state voltage level of 3.2 volts, and double it.

Now you have 6.4 volts to play with and 20 amps (If they really are 20 amp batteries). Multiply the two numbers: 6.4 volts * 20 amp = 128 watts. That's you safest "safe" limit for maximum wattage. If the batteries are fully charged, you can go higher:

8.4*20 = 168 watts

But your Alien will handle it for you. Make your coils, wick, prime, set to 100 watts and hit it. If you go to high on near dead batteries, it just wont perform as well (less watts). Regulated "SAFE" mod.
Well... That's a lot simpler than I thought.

My only question from that, is that does the resistance not come into any calculations?

Other than that, thanks very much - helped clear it up a lot!

Reactions: 90VG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread