RDA New to RDA's, some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesm23

Sep 6, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I started vaping about 3 months ago and after upgrading to the nautilus mini vaping has been good!. However, today i smashed the glass tank and while im already ordering a new one i thought why not buy an RDA.

So.. i have a couple of questions. Im thinking of buying a cheap one such as the igo w7.

I read online somewhere about needing a mod? if so what is a mod ? do i need one? can i just use a variable volt battery(innoken itaste v3) and the RDA without it?

Also can i make coils without an ohm meter or should i buy one?
will 32gauge kanthal wire fit the igo w7?
what size silica wick is good? 1 or 2mm?

Hopefully someone can help. Any advice is appreciate but keep it simple im new to this!

thanks,

James

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi guys,

I started vaping about 3 months ago and after upgrading to the nautilus mini vaping has been good!. However, today i smashed the glass tank and while im already ordering a new one i thought why not buy an RDA.

So.. i have a couple of questions. Im thinking of buying a cheap one such as the igo w7.

I read online somewhere about needing a mod? if so what is a mod ? do i need one? can i just use a variable volt battery(innoken itaste v3) and the RDA without it?

what size silica wick is good? 1 or 2mm?

Hopefully someone can help. Any advice is appreciate but keep it simple im new to this!

thanks,

James

1:
i thought why not buy an RDA
Great idea.

2:
Im thinking of buying a cheap one such as the igo w7.
If it's a 3 post rda that's the most common type;

Here's one with a glass top so you can see the condition of your cotton inside the rda;
good for when you're new to rda's otherwise you tend to keep popping your topcap off all the time wondering if you need to add more liquid
1942003-4.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10010621/1942003
and another
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1971604

3:
- a mod usually refers to something that contains a replaceable battery; some boxes where the battery is not replaceable, but the box has a screen and can show you ohms and set voltage, are also refered to as mods.
- no you don't 'need' one.
- yes you can just use a variable volt battery and the rda without a mod

4:
Well for first time rebuilding it's best to have a regulated mod to build on; one that can show you your ohms;
An MVP2 would be nice; or a vamo; or svd. as long as it will test ohms for you without firing the coil.
But if you don't have one then you can get an ohmmeter.
Eventually you should plan on getting a proper regulated mod.

5:
Yes, but 30 gauge is an all round gauge that you can use in both rebuildables and for recoiling stock clearomizer coils.
32 gaude is very fine / flimsy

6: 2 mm.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
You could use the RDA with your existing battery. You would just be limited on what ohm coils you could build. I used a SMOK Dripper RDA for a long time with a Vision Spinner II. Yes you need a meter to build coils. Myself, rather than spending 10 bucks on something that only reads atomizer resistance, I use a 20 dollar multimeter that does all my vape related work (including checking batteries) as well as a lot of other "handyman" type stuff. The rest is opinion and my opinion is that 32G Kanthal is too small. I started with 24G but now I use 28G. Hope this is useful. :2c:

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
the annoying thing is i was trying to get 28 but im trying to get everything from one site to avoid big postage costs and they dont do 28 or 30 just 32 and 34 wierdly but they have others like 0.2mm 0.25mm 0.3mm and so on. would the 0.25 be equivalent to 25g and the 3mm to 30g?

0.2mm = 32 gauge (AWG)
0.25mm = 30 AWG
0.3mm = 28 AWG

The thicker the wire, the lower the gauge

Last edited:

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
James23 there are tons of tutorial videos on you tube that will give you a crap load of good solid information on rba/rda atomizers. I use a variety of wire depends on what I'm feeling like vaping on that day. This is just my opinion mind you but I would say get a magma rda as it is easy to build on holds a lot of juice and gives you awesome flavor and vapor. The original is pricey but there are replicas of it that are reasonably price and just as good. 30ga and 28ga are good gauges to use starting out. Congrats on making the switch.

Thespis

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Texas
also i think the i taste vv3 can read ohms , can any1 verify that? and if so do i not need the ohm meter?

It can. Press both buttons at the same time. The first number displayed with an "A" at the beginning is the resistance of your atomizer. I'm waiting for my first rebuildable, so I can speak only from the research I've done here, but I would buy a meter. I plan to use a fairly good multimeter that I already have by touching the leads together, reading the resistance and then subtracting that number from the reading of the coil.

iTiger

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
The Itaste Vv does show ohms (the one I had did)
I'm new into RDAs but know plenty about ohms and surprised the shop I got my RDAs from by setting down and building both on the spot. Unfortunately its very easy to build very low ohms (below the firing ability of a Vv or MVP for that matter); my first 2 builds came out at 0.4 & 0.7.
My MVP tries to fire the 0.7 but can't get the coils hot enough.
As I don't feel like going and wasting the coil supplies I'm just using them on my mech mod and ipv2.

Not sure how much help any of the above was but if your wanting to do RDAs be prepared to waste some supplies figuring out how to build could that will work well on your devices. As an alternative look into getting a mod as some can be had at great prices.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
1:
Great idea.

2:

Here's one with a glass top so you can see the condition of your cotton inside the rda;
good for when you're new to rda's otherwise you tend to keep popping your topcap off all the time wondering if you need to add more liquid
1942003-4.jpg

and another

3:
- a mod usually refers to something that contains a replaceable battery; some boxes where the battery is not replaceable, but the box has a screen and can show you ohms and set voltage, are also refered to as mods.

4:
Well for first time rebuilding it's best to have a regulated mod to build on; one that can show you your ohms;
An MVP2 would be nice; or a vamo; or svd. as long as it will test ohms for you without firing the coil.

5:
Yes, but 30 gauge is an all round gauge that you can use in both rebuildables and for recoiling stock clearomizer coils.

Agree with everything he said!
Esoecially starting with a regulated! Saftey first while mechs are great mods and phenomenal performers the safety for. New builder on a regulated is unmatched.
Only other suggestion i would have is an "istick" for 35 bucks it has twice the power of a n mvp and just as safe for the same investment. Also a magma only because it seems to vape better with a single coil build and about the same price.
Jusy putting some other options out there.
magma
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141470825787?lpid=82
Istick

1:
Great idea.

2:

1942003-4.jpg

and another

3:

4:

5:

Agree with everything he said!
Esoecially starting with a regulated! Saftey first while mechs are great mods and phenomenal performers the safety for. New builder on a regulated is unmatched.
Only other suggestion i would have is an "istick" for 35 bucks it has twice the power of a n mvp and just as safe for the same investment. Also a magma only because it seems to vape better with a single coil build and about the same price.
Jusy putting some other options out there.
magma
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141470825787?lpid=82
Istick
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331397516644?nav=SEARCH

Also when i started 32 g was a pain to use because its so springy...28g eas much easier to wrap.
Best of luck and congrats!

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Just started with RDA's myself. Built my first single coil, 1.2 Ohms at 11 watts on my MVP 2.0 :)
This also looks oh so sweet on my Origin.

My RDA of choice is the VERY affordable, noob friendly Caterpillar:

Caterpillar RDA
Here it is for 40.00
http://101vape.com/variable-voltagewattage-devices/148-innokin-itaste-mvp-v20.html

HERE IS THE ISTICK FROM ELEAF. 20W MOD ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PAGER FOR 35.00
http://www.vapordna.com/mobile/prod...0-Watts-Ultra-Mini-Mod-p/ik0002.htm&Click=770

jamesm23

Sep 6, 2014
United Kingdom
thanks guys but i got given a free igo w8 rda. Am i right in thinking it only vapes sub ohms and ill need some sort of special mod battery thing. How do i know which battery and can anyone suggest a cheap one. I have a battery that can vape 1ohm so unless a triple coil can be built to 1ohm overall then ill need to buy a different one. Any ideas? Ive been pushed into the deep end and dont want the thing to blow up in my face haha

iTiger

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
I built a dual coil to 1.95 ohms and could build higher easily so I'd imagine you could build a triple to 1 ohm or higher. Also remember that just because you can have 3 coils in the RDA doesn't have to be built with 3; you can build it single or dual as well. My one RDA spends its time with a single coil even tho it is designed for dual.

Last edited:

iTiger

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Your eleaf istick is for 1 - 3 ohm use. Its sweet spot is 1.37 ohm (best power & adjustability).
I know your RDA is made to support triple coils but that doesn't have to be built with triple. I run single coil on my dual coil all the time.
I'd go with a dual coil build and aim for the device sweet spot.
Get some Kanthal A1 30 AWG wire and wrap on a 3mm bit.
Each coil will need to be 8 full wraps or 9/8 half wraps (each coil should be between 2.7-2.8 ohms).

If you insist on triple you use the A1 wire and stick to 3mm to wrap on each coil will need to be 4.1-4.2 ohm.
You'd be looking at 13 full wraps or 13/12 half wraps..
Or if you can get some 32AWG A1 wire and keep the same 3mm you'd only need 8 full or 8/7 half.
Remember the smaller wire (higher awg) the wire will get hotter faster but you are also more likely to pop a coil.

The other option you may want to do is single coil.
28awg a1 wire 3mm bit only 6 full or 7/6 half wrap. That will get you right where the mod wants to be easy.

Being new I suggest starting with the single coil then trying for more.
Also its hard to tell how your mod will do with more coils; it might not heat them up fast enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread