RDA New to RDA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligan

Oct 26, 2014
Bradford
The main thing is I think RDAs are a great way to test flavours out as all you have to do is replace the wick and you're done so I've looked at ohms law to start with, but I've ordered an orchid and doge clone with some 2mm silica wick and some cotton wick to test the diff, my question is on building the coils really.

I'm not sure what gauge Kanthal I need and how many wraps I need on it! I'm running an istick with naut combo at the min and don't really think I need any lower ohms, unless it'd be better to run at 1.2? How do I calculate the number of wraps to create the ohms I want, and would it be better to run at the lowest ohms the Istick can take? (Building at around 1.1 to be safe?)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
All the variables - thickness of wire and the resistance (plus coil location and airflow...) effect your vape - and you get to endlessly experiment to find what's best for you. People have different preferences...
I don't think you want to go "as low as I can" right away!
Targeting something you are used to is probably a good way to start...

Here's a good tool to ESTIMATE the number of wraps...

Ligan

Oct 26, 2014
Bradford
Cheers!

My maths is pretty crap, going to order some Nichrome Kanthal A1 32 AWG / 0.2mm*5m / 0.46ohm/cm.

Struggling to work out inner diameter of coil and leg length per coil - inner diameter of coil - how do I work that out, is that based off the wrap around the screwdriver so would be 2.2mm? Also the leg length total per coil (total length of the resistance wires between coil and contact points) is that as simple as building a coil and measuring between the posts it's attached to?

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cheers!

My maths is pretty crap, going to order some Nichrome Kanthal A1 32 AWG / 0.2mm*5m / 0.46ohm/cm.

Struggling to work out inner diameter of coil and leg length per coil - inner diameter of coil - how do I work that out, is that based off the wrap around the screwdriver so would be 2.2mm? Also the leg length total per coil (total length of the resistance wires between coil and contact points) is that as simple as building a coil and measuring between the posts it's attached to?

Inner diameter is the measurement of what you're wrapping your wire around - my screwdrivers are 2mm so I base all my wraps off that diameter. I haven't even bothered paying attention to leg length to be honest, I run my wraps based on the calculator, trap the wire, and check the resistance a few times. Fire it, make them contact coils and then check it again, and I'm happy with that every time, I don't worry too much about extreme fine tuning, for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread