RDA New to rebuilding already having issues (Sapor RDA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack read

Apr 15, 2017
So recently I got a new RDA after watching countless tutorials and the guy in my local store build a deck i thought I'd give it a try after constructing the deck drying burning the coils and ensuring everything was functioning fine no hot spots ect I wicked the coils once I had added juice and allowed the cotton to soak it up after slowly building up the power to ensure the cotton didn't burn I find myself getting a weird taste and smell from the RDA could this be the cotton burning or another issue didn't have this issue when my local store went over the process with me.

Power 80w
Coils 0.44

Reactions: Izan

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
So recently I got a new RDA after watching countless tutorials and the guy in my local store build a deck i thought I'd give it a try after constructing the deck drying burning the coils and ensuring everything was functioning fine no hot spots ect I wicked the coils once I had added juice and allowed the cotton to soak it up after slowly building up the power to ensure the cotton didn't burn I find myself getting a weird taste and smell from the RDA could this be the cotton burning or another issue didn't have this issue when my local store went over the process with me.

Power 80w
Coils 0.44

You could be experiencing the taste of cotton before it is broken in. It takes a little while to break in the cotton, also depending on how much cotton is in your wick (more cotton, longer break in period). Keep it lower watts for a while and bump it up slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solaire

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@Jack read did you thoroughly clean the RDA before you used it? There will be residual machine oil on most devices out of the box which will need to be removed. Tastes nasty and is toxic too, yummy. Strip the device down and scrub with some dish soap and a toothbrush, then rinse well.
New cotton has a break in period too where it tastes likes socks, could be that.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Sock taste is fresh cotton, it goes away fairly quickly though. Burnt taste, probably too much power, or poor wicking.

It's not burnt but taste that way to me. A few other people has mentioned the same thing. It does go away after a few hits once the cotton gets broken in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizzle

Jun 8, 2016
That burnt taste is also from scorching the cotton. When you put new wicks in, it's generally a good idea to start low and see what the heat flux is like on that build you're using. I know the coil verbage can be daunting. But you'll pick up the jargon quick.

A lot of people make honest mistake.
example: take cotton out, dry burned coil, rinsed or brushed or did both, turn wattage down (people forget this part a lot) dry burn again to vaporize any water residue from cleaning process and ensure still has no hot spots, let coil cool off a minute, insert new cotton (whatever thickness floats your boat, you'll get used to it) snip and trim cotton, tuck cotton in rta or rda channels, juice it up, hit the power button to test vaporrrsss (if didn't turn down wattage, this is where you can scorch fresh newly juiced cotton) juice up more, and vape. If you scorched the cotton even the tiniest amount, usually you can taste it for the life of that cotton strip til you rewick. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread