New to rebuilding and confused on what wattage to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rio6

May 14, 2016
Hi I'm using a sigelei fuchai with a geekvape avocado 24 rta. Just started using it today and I bought some premade coils from a vape shop. they're 22 gauge kanthal with 7 wraps and it comes out to 0.35 ohms. I'm only using a single coil build. I've been vaping it at 50-70 watts. is this good? I don't want to blow up. This is probably the most noob question ever but I have no idea.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Not my vaping style, I prefer a quicker ramp up with 26awg and never go above 40 watts but it sounds like your good there between 4.2 and 5 volts at 50-70 watts but make sure your battery's can handle the amp's load - in the upper wattage range you are at 14+ amps
At 70w the amp draw is actually about 24 amps. That's divided between the two batteries of course.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: juicynoos

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
You sure about that?
70w/4.9v=14.28a
I get 14.28 amp draw at 70 watt. 0.35 ohm build and 4.95 volt at resting voltage, not even under load!

@Rio6 Just to safe, check out some links to choosing known good battery's and suppliers.
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
The amp draw is calculated based on the battery (cutoff) voltage, not the set voltage. And the resistance doesn't matter.

77 (70w +10%) / 6.4 (two batteries in series, cutoff at 3.2v) = 12 amps (would be 24 on a single battery).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I guess it must be the high air flow and high VG juice that allows high wattage to be a good vape. Even with tanks like the Lemo and Orchid V4 that have direct lung hit air flow I don't like anything above 20W.

On my Kayfun 3.1's I'm usually at 10W and frequently below that. My 80pg/20vg juice isn't so compatible with high wattage, anyway.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It took a good long while for me to get the differences in calculations as well.

Buck-Boost converters are interesting circuits. I don't claim to completely understand the intricate operation, but the interaction between the capacitor/inductor coupling is where it all happens.

I can see why the battery is taking all the current load all the time.

There's an animation at the link below that shows the operation of a buck-boost circuit in both modes. It shows the switching transistor changing states as the inductor builds a field and the capacitor charges and discharges. The Schottky D1 diode conducts in one direction during buck mode, turning off when the voltage on its cathode goes positive. D1 doesn't conduct at all in boost mode because it's reverse biased. D2 is on all the time in buck mode and cycles in boost mode.

Buck-Boost Converters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread