New to Reo's... I have some Questions about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenleySS95

Oct 12, 2015
I just got a SL/LP Reo and so far am very happy with it. I love the idea of squonking. My question is how low can I build on this? Would .3 be okay? I know it would be for my batteries as I have good batteries but Im more concerned with the mod itself. Im ucrrently running it at .7 and feel the need for a little bit more power. Also how often should I clean it out? Is it recommended I clean the contacts and what not? I just would like to know how to keep up on the maintenance of the mod. I have noalax (I think thats what its called) with it too, what is this used for? Thanks for any help and Im glad to be a part of the community!

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
I think .3 would be fine. I'm for certain though. At that resistance I would clean it once a week. I like to scrub the contacts with a white eraser give it a good rinse/dry and then hit the contacts with some noalox. Some people also use alcohol on the contacts before the rinse. Deoxit gold can also be used in place of noalox.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Welcome to the family!!! I'm sure others will be by to guide you who know lots more than me, but will second what Rob said about cleaning once a week at that resistance.

One important question though. I imagine you got this new from Rob and it has the gold plated contacts. But if you did buy it used by chance with older contacts, I dunno .3 might be ok, but might be a bit low. Don't use anything abrasive to clean the gold contacts. But those white vinyl erasers are good. Check for arc'ing from time to time. Noalox is ok, but the deoxit gold might be better. Put a dab on each battery end, and a dab on the + contact and the spring. I just use one drop on my finger, does all of it. Some use Qtips, but I find more of it soaks into the qtip. lol

Soon as ya can, we need pics, it's sorta a rule! hehehe I imagine you saw it, but cut an inverted V in the bottom of the tube to prevent it suctioning to the bottle. Super_X_Drifter has a lot of great videos on youtube. and if ya want, get on the reo roll call as a new household! Especially if ya happen to be from Texas, we need two more to hit 100!! lol
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/reo-roll-call.217670/

You've got the best mod out there, and are now part of an amazing community here on ECF!! Enjoy!!!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Congratz on becoming a Reonaut!
Here is a video on how to clean your new REO. But DO NOT use a file on the contacts. With a very low build you should get some Deoxit to use on your contacts. Your contacts are probably the new gold ones.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
You should be fine with .3 ohm builds. There are many Reo users who build at that level. However, I would strongly recommend that you consider using button top batteries, as opposed to flat tops. AWs are a good choice, either the 2200mAh or the 1600mAh. Those who use flat top batteries seem to have more problems with arcing at the positive contact, than those who use button tops. I'd also recommend getting some Deoxit Gold, and using it frequently on your contacts.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
AWs are a good choice, either the 2200mAh or the 1600mAh. Those who use flat top batteries seem to have more problems with arcing at the positive contact, than those who use button tops.
I've been wondering about this for a bit now. I know RTD is a great place for batts, very trustworthy, and many said the 1600's would hold the top part of the charge (4.2 - 3.9 or so) longer than the 2200's. But these http://www.rtdvapor.com/aw-imr-18650-3-7v-1600mah/ used to say 24 amp max continuous discharge, and now they say 15C and the 2200's and the 3000's both say "new" on them. Soon as I can, I need to get some new batts, so I figured this might benefit the OP. Are the "new" 2200's maybe better than the 1600's now, and what do y'all think of the 3000's? I usually change when the batts are around 3.9 or just below, so 3000 mah would only help me if it holds that upper part of the charge longer than either of the other two
amps are not a big deal for me, I vape around 1.3 ohms with dual coils

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I've been wondering about this for a bit now. I know RTD is a great place for batts, very trustworthy, and many said the 1600's would hold the top part of the charge (4.2 - 3.9 or so) longer than the 2200's. But these http://www.rtdvapor.com/aw-imr-18650-3-7v-1600mah/ used to say 24 amp max continuous discharge, and now they say 15C and the 2200's and the 3000's both say "new" on them. Soon as I can, I need to get some new batts, so I figured this might benefit the OP. Are the "new" 2200's maybe better than the 1600's now, and what do y'all think of the 3000's? I usually change when the batts are around 3.9 or just below, so 3000 mah would only help me if it holds that upper part of the charge longer than either of the other two
amps are not a big deal for me, I vape around 1.3 ohms with dual coils
Check out this post in a thread about batteries. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/battery-replacement-question.700214/#post-16475393

Reactions: SteamStack

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
But these http://www.rtdvapor.com/aw-imr-18650-3-7v-1600mah/ used to say 24 amp max continuous discharge, and now they say 15C and the 2200's and the 3000's both say "new" on them
Battery C Rating - The C rating of a battery (or cell) is used to indicate the continuous current draw (amps) the cell will support. By multiplying the C rating times the cell capacity in milliamperehours (mAh), the continuous current in milliamperes (mA) of a cell is easily calculated. Example - For a 2000 mAh battery with a 15C rating, the continuous current that may be drawn out of the battery is 2000 mAh x 15 = 30000 mA, or 30 Amps (A) (divide by 1000).

So, 15C for the 1600 would equate to 24amps.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Welcome @PenleySS95 !

All great tips so far here. I'd like to add that I generally build my REOs to .37ohms. I do NEED to clean once a week, and I generally DON'T! I usually start having performing issues, then I realize that I need to clean my contacts and such. So I end up doing a complete tear down, clean and rebuild. I do apply deoxit and/or noalox regularly though.

And others have said, as long as you have the new gold plated contacts, and you have properly rated batteries, you should be fine. I've gone as low as .25, and while the vape was too hot for me, the REO (Woodvil) held up just fine.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I haven't used the AW 3000s; but I've used both the 1600s and the 2200s. The 1600 are 24A continuous discharge. The 2200 are 20A, but you will get a bit more duration with the 2200, before needing recharge. But, if you're building at .3 ohms, you'll get a bit more safety cushion with the 1600s. On a full charge of 4.2 volts, .3 ohms draws 14 amps. Personally, I'd go with the extra safety cushion of the 1600s.

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
Absolutely, Reos handle sub ohm builds just fine. I run in the 0.4-0.5 ohm range almost exclusively, and they chug right along. Just clean your battery contacts and reapply deoxit gold (or noalox) about once a week and you should be fine. That's what I do, and I've had no issues. It's also good to give your Reo a scrub with dish soap under hot water occasionally, I tend to do this about once a month.

PenleySS95

Oct 12, 2015
Thanks all you guys so much for all the helpful replies!! I have never had this much support with any forum.. lol I got the Reo used tho in a trade, I believe it is a year old give or takea couple months. How do I know if my contacts are gold plated? Will they actually be gold? I havent taken it apart yet thats why I ask. I am planning to tonight and I am also going to get that deoxit gold as it sounds better than the other. Also all of my batteries are flat tops, is this going to be a problem? Thanks again for the help! Here are pics:)

ZoXxi3S.jpg)

Last edited:
Reactions: SteamStack

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks all you guys so much for all the helpful replies!! I have never had this much support with any forum.. lol I got the Reo used tho in a trade, I believe it is a year old give or takea couple months. How do I know if my contacts are gold plated? Will they actually be gold? I havent taken it apart yet thats why I ask. I am planning to tonight and I am also going to get that deoxit gold as it sounds better than the other. Also all of my batteries are flat tops, is this going to be a problem? Thanks again for the help! Here are pics:)

ZoXxi3S.jpg)

The contacts will appear gold, if they are the newer contacts. They are actually gold plated beryllium. If it's about a year old. Chances are good it has the new contacts. If you can post a picture of the top contact, from the inside, we will be able to tell.
As mentioned earlier, some folks do use flat top batteries in their Reos. But from what I've seen in this forum, those that use flat tops seem to have more issues with arcing, than those who use button tops. Some people use a door magnet, if they happen to have an extra one, on top of their flat top batteries.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I havent taken it apart yet thats why I ask. I am planning to tonight
You don't even have to take it apart to tell, the spring will look gold rather than silver. If you take the battery out and push down on the fire button, the + contact will come down enough that you'll be able to see if it looks gold. If so, the deoxit gold will be great to use. If they look silver, then the noalox is fine.

We're one big happy family, and now you're a part of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread