new to site

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommalou1027

Jun 29, 2015
I've been smoking 40 yrs n am trying extremely hard to quit!
I wanna live!
I started with a store bought blu cig.
I find it a bit harsh if I take too big a puff. It's 2.4% so it states on the packaging.
My son gave me some kind of vapor cig with liquid it is .6% It is a bit too ligh when I puff but there is more smoke on the pull. I would like n in between. Although the blu cig cuts my craving down alot. The vapor makes me still look for more. Any help/suggestions or advice? Thanks so much Mommalou1027

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome mommalou :)

Let me say; you do probably need something in between. Blu (2.4%) is rubbish but strong (and they are an evil tobacco company). 0.6% (6mg) liquid is low strength unless you use a high power vaporizer.

What you should look into is a quality beginner kit using 12mg or 18mg liquid (probably 18mg for a long-term smoker) and medium power.

I used 18mg to quit smoking, and it was easy. Before finding this forum I used plastic cig-a-like sticks, it cost me $800 and I just kept on smoking. That's how bad (and expensive) those tobacco company products are.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi @mommalou1027 , and welcome to the forum. I'd agree with @djsvapour completely. I quit smoking on 12mg (1.2%) and now vape 3mg or less. Not knowing what type of vapor cig he gave you it would be difficult to give you the best advice as to your nicotine level. I smoked lights (orange pack) at 2 packs a day and the 12mg worked for me.

I'd recommend a trip to a local vape store to purchase some juice and to sample the flavors to find what you enjoy. The house brands will be the least expensive. They could recommend you a starting mg for nicotine based upon what you smoked, and your current gear.

I'd also recommend looking at the equipment they sell (will be cheaper online). I'd highly recommend an eleaf iStick 30 watt and an Aspire Nautilus Mini as a starter set to get you off the cigs.

pic of iStick 30 watt and Nautilus Mini (not actual size)
30W%20w%20Naut_zpspxou70ko.jpg

actual size in someone elses hand (not my pic)
pink%2030w_zpsn8wyk3zo.jpg

Don't be shy if you have any questions there are many here to help you in your journey.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I'd suggest starting with 18% (18mg/ml, it's sometimes marked) of nicotine for a long term heavy smoker. That's where I started for the first week. I found myself hitting it very hard at first, both to satisfy the cravings and because I needed to keep my hand busy. When you get that dull headache above the eyes, that's too much nicotine, cut back to 12%. (I'm down to 6% now.) You can buy an off brand eGo type battery plus disposable cartomizer or two, plus a charger cord, plus a small case for less than $20 at most vape shops and all day online. Unless you're flat broke, I don't recommend it. You can't vape while charging an eGo type battery, so you'll have to buy 2 to keep you going. If you like that style, fine-- many people do-- but get one eGo branded and variable voltage, they call it the "eGo Twist." It costs a bit more, but lasts longer, and you'll still need 2. The 750mAh batteries are small and lightweight. The 1100 mAh models same length but larger in diameter and heavier. The big ones last longer before needing a charge. If you like disposable cartomizers, you can buy them in bulk online as low as 50 cents each; the vape shop will charge you $2-5 each. A carto will last for a day to a week and a half, depending on how hard you use it and how sweet your juice is, before it tastes burnt and needs to be tossed.

A step up from there, into the $40-60 range for a good battery and a replaceable coil tank, would be an Innokin VV 3.0V battery. It variable voltage or wattage, so you can control the power you're using, charges using a mini-USB cord, and is vape-while-charge so you can get by with one battery. Many people find the vape they're looking for in that power range; others move up and then go back. Online usually <$30. A step up again would be an Eleaf iStick variable wattage battery or an Innokin MVP. They come in different models, so price varies from 30ish to 60 bucks or so. Get the biggest the budget will stretch and you can use it, at least as a backup, as long as the battery lasts.

As for tanks, to get rid of the disposable toppers, it depends on the size. For small diameter, 2ml capacity, to preserve the vape pen look and reduce size/weight as much as you can, try the Kanger mini pro tank, the Innokin iClear 16 or an Aspire Nautilus mini. Larger diameter tanks, with 4-6 ml capacity, the Kanger pro tank or aero tank (I have several, very free drawing), the Innokin iClear 30, or the Aspire Nautilus. The Kanger Mini Sub tank, or the larger Sub tank, are well thought of, but you're not going to have enough battery to fire it well unless you get above a 30 watt regulated battery. All of these have replacable coil heads. When they start to taste burned, you replace just the coil, not the whole thing like a disposable.

Welcome to the board, and good luck getting off the coffin nails. You'll find a lot of help here; just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: mommalou1027

NYNURSE

Jun 10, 2015
Rye, N.Y.
Try to visit a Vape Shop if possible. I got lucky on my first visit and walked out with a good set up. I also lucked out because the first shop I stopped in did not resemble a head shop. Very clean, very professional, and very willing to explain life to me. The last place I stopped in (there are 3 in my immediate area) looked like I stepped back in time to the early '70s. Bought some great juice, but i won't be back. I have a major aversion to illicit drug use, but thats just me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
2.4% is 24 mg nicotine. That's pretty strong, meant for someone who was a 2 pack per day smoker.

Nicotine concentration in the e-liquid is what causes the "throat hit" and harshness in vapor. 12 or 18 mg should be more to your liking.

If you can get over the size of an Ego battery or mod, I recommend ditching the cigalikes. You'll most likely end up with one or the other within a month or two.

A Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vaper

Guide to Juice Delivery Attachments

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder to Ego & Mods

Siouxinpa

Jun 8, 2015
Central PA
I'll echo what everyone else has said about your nic strength with a proviso. If you have 'trigger moments' times when you always smoke and usually smoke like a fiend, get a bottle of the next higher strength and use it during a trigger moment.

Mine has always been sipping on a beer. I need that extra nic when I enjoy a cold one...or two.

mommalou1027

Jun 29, 2015
I want to thank u all for ur help. I seemed to omit that I was smoking a pack n a half then a day then I started Chantix about March or April. I'm down to 2 packs a week plus the blu cig/vapor cig n I am still on the Chantix n todayI I've only smoked 1 cig. So I want to get off the cigs n meds :) I will look into a vapor store. Like I mentioned earlier I do have a vapor cig but I have no idea how much battery life or what type of vapor cig it is. I'll check. ok its called "vaporfi pro platinum". It's similar to @Sir2fyablyNutz pic of the hand w/the 2 types. It resembles the one on the left, the only thing is mine is shorter n its a tad bit heavy. So for now I will get 12 or 18% e-liquid. I've tried the "American tobacco" flavor n it's just fine. I will try a stronger one of the tobacco flavor. Also @Baditude I love ur pic! Again ty all ;)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If you have been using (trying out) a Vaporfi Pro Platinum, I have some good news. You can just use that with higher strength liquid... :)

However, don't buy anything else from them. PLEASE.

If you want to get your own version of that e-cig, you can do that... easy. Some companies sell existing hardware with their own labels on for super-high prices.

They sell a $35 e-cig for $120 because they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread