New to squonking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Mitchell

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
Manchester, Ohio
Did some preliminary searching and found that this "squonking" seems to be right up my ally.

Just wanted to say you all seem like a great community and very helpful.

Decided to get my feet wet with a cheapy smokeless owl, but after reading everything you all have to say, I fear this habit might become a hobby that has no ends to the amount of cash i'm going to spend.

So what is a mid range mech or VV/VW squonk that would be good to learn on? The reviews on the smokeless owl aren't very inspiring (even though I have already ordered it).

I can not afford the 400 dollar offerings that I see in the custom line (hopefully some day), so am i limited to the 100ish REO's?, and I lack the knowledge/ambition to put together a PEKO.

Also a side question, does max VG juice fair well squonking?
sarcasm on *yes I used the search function, but this is also a shameless post count thread* :) sarcasm off

Reactions: mauricem00

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
Try Reosmods. There is a new economy Reo for $130 in brushed aluminum, pick up a few $0.50 magnets and glue them into the door yourself and you have the same unit that goes for $160. I have a couple of VW squonkers, but I always go back to the mechs because you can run water through them to wash them out. Squonkers will leak, even in a perfect unit, from installing the bottle, oversquonking, etc.

Reactions: muzichead

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
A REO is pretty much the best place to start squonking. While I have ventured into the $400 squonkers, I find myself using a REO more than any other device - so much my tanks have tanking a backseat.

As far as VG %'s, I find that 70VG/30PG juices work best for me. Obviously a higher PG would be even better but not necessary IMHO. 90VG/10PG are pretty hard to drain and work as well with some practice.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I haven't tried this but some folks say it works ok: $23.79-$24.50 (Ships from USA)Smokeless Owl Style Bottom Feeder Mod - White
It is also sold at Fasttech and other places. It is a mechanical.
There is also a vw mod called the geyscano. There is a thread about it in here.
There is also a vapor flask squonker available: $79.09-$79.50 VF Squonker with Temperature Protection Variable Wattage VW Box Mod - Black
This is new and nobody has tested it yet. Buy one and tell us how it works.
The reo is great. It is also pricey but you can get a used one in the classies.
I just build my own. It is more fun but lots more trouble. Mech, dna30 clone, mosfet, and dna40 so far.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Did some preliminary searching and found that this "squonking" seems to be right up my ally.

Just wanted to say you all seem like a great community and very helpful.

Decided to get my feet wet with a cheapy smokeless owl, but after reading everything you all have to say, I fear this habit might become a hobby that has no ends to the amount of cash i'm going to spend.

So what is a mid range mech or VV/VW squonk that would be good to learn on? The reviews on the smokeless owl aren't very inspiring (even though I have already ordered it).

I can not afford the 400 dollar offerings that I see in the custom line (hopefully some day), so am i limited to the 100ish REO's?, and I lack the knowledge/ambition to put together a PEKO.

Also a side question, does max VG juice fair well squonking?
sarcasm on *yes I used the search function, but this is also a shameless post count thread* :) sarcasm off
I have the terminator mod with owl RDA and it works fine for me but after trying them I find that I prefer a good RTA.

qiubicfit

May 17, 2013
miami beach FL.
Hello goofy2302, glad to hear you when ahead and join the amazing Reo clan,
Been there too, but after my first REO Mini, I never looked no futher, never wasted
my time sith clones, rather pay for quality American craftmenship that's backed up
by an amazing human being, Rob is a great guy, which stand fully committed to his brand
, there are very few companies that can come close to what you get when you purchase a REO
It might seem like alot but, it pays itself many times over, instead of buying a clone that might
Last a few months, then you buy another clone, and that breaks, you will have Zero warranty
So you'll spend more money and you wont own an amazing piece of Vaping History....

Thomas Mitchell

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
Manchester, Ohio
My first dual sub ohm build
3c833746d44bd9c6537ac0a3fc38d350.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Didn't know they had cloned the flask squonk, that's high on the list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you happen to see a Flask squonker for a good price...clone or authentic RUN AWAY!!! Don't walk, RUN!!! It's horrible in every possible way...except for theory and looks.
Your owl should work pretty well. At least good enough to see if squonking is for you. I agree with the SIB box recommendations. It's a great set up that comes with an authentic Odin bottom feeder atty. That's worth $70 right there. I'm partial to Reo's myself. It's simplicity and durability make it the front runner for the money. I've had a few Sunboxes and other high end squonkers, but I always go back to the Reo. Mechs reign supreme when it comes to squonkers, in my opinion. Regardless of what you get, welcome to the club!

line up (2).jpg

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I got my smokeless owl clone 2 weeks ago. Honestly I love the thing. Perfect size to fit in my pocket, and with a bottom fed modified derringer it is the perfect all day device. I have all sorts of sub ohm tanks, but they always give me some issue at one point during the day. I definitely prefer dripping. Now with my squad her I can drip all the time without having to carry the bottle of juice with me and go through that hassle.

That said, my Rio showed up at my house today. I can't wait to get home from work so I can set it up. Bottom line though I do not regret buying my smokeless owl one bit.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I have been building mine at .4 to .7. Yes it gets a little warm, but no more than my mods normally do. Or actually the rda, the mod itself stays nice and cool. And I am no longer using the atomizer that came with the device. I use either a modified bottom fed dark horse or my bottom fed derringer. I did not like the way the drip tip on the stock atomizer was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread