New to this site and vaping. Need advice on cupti

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Hey all. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.

So let me begin by introducing myself since im new to the site. My name is Justin and im from Boston. I just bought a kanger cutpi off a buddy of mine a few days ago that had it for only a month and got a couple more expensive mods so he didnt use this one much and sold it to me.

Im having some issues with it since its a prettu confusing mod when its your first. When he gave it to me he had it set on Ti, 450 degrees, 60-60.5w with kanger CLOCC 0.5ohm coils. I have no idea how he used it like that since it was spitting like crazy and made me choke. I havent been able to get it dialed in to my sweet spot yet, and havent been getting good advice.

The guy at the vape shop up the street from me said leave it on wattage mode between 30 and 40w. That hasnt worked well for me. He also toasted a 1 day old coil on me after i told him it was too low on juice so i was there to get juice, and he fired it anyways n smoked my coil. He said it would be fine just put more juice in it. Put more juice in, but it was toasted. So i replace the coil, didnt prime it but let it sit for 5-10mins before firing cause he said thats all i had to do. He even said just a couple mins but i waited longer. Taste like this coil is smoked already too. Not nearly as bad as the other, but sometimes it does have a slight burning taste, but really bothers my throat. Seems like it may jus be the juice since i filled it with a smoked coil, or i have it at the wrong settings. Ive had it for a few days and still cant find the best setting for me, also because ive used 3 dif juices that all burn a little different.

The best i had it was on SS at 500-600F and 60-65w. Set like that it was really smooth, huge clouds, but could hit it until it timed out and still didnt feel like it was strong enough, and it still spit but much less than how my buddy had it set on Ti. Ive tipped it upside down for awhile, whipped it clean, and sometimes that keeps it from spittin for a few pulls, sometimes not. I keep gettin dif advice, oh its too hot, its not hot enough, blah blah blah.

Im really thinking about getting a dif mod because i cant get this one dialed in. Once i get close and use it for awhile, then use a dif juice, its hell trying to set it up again.
SS seems to work best for me, but it still spits a bit and can rip it until it times out feelin like i didnt get enough but blow out a big cloud. Other than turning it upside down, the best way i can keep it from spittin in my mouth is to fire it for a couple seconds until it stops spittin then take my rip.

In dire need of good advice before i spend money on a new device. I really like this one, but its tough to set up.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome :)

My opinion is that the cup designs are good for only one place... the trash...which then rather sends this discussion into a spiral of despair, because as it's an AIO which means junking the whole caboodle.

Kanger have made some products that really, really suck, and so did Joyetech when they saw the marketing potential of Cubis/Cubis Pro and all the other 'Cup' AIO devices. Kanger actually copied Joyetech in this race to create exciting but deeply flawed products.

It's the e-cig industry - the 'game changing' technology that is in reality way behind the reliability & performance of truly incredible and cheap to run RTAs.

It's sad... and I get frustrated, especially for new vapers, but we are all beta testers and some products are simply not good enough. The Joyetech stuff was epic bad and now it seems the rumors about Cupti are becoming more than just rumors.

Next time, research and be careful with the newest tech. Not of all it works. The makers don't care, they just want something new and interesting to sell.

Hopefully you got it cheap and can erase your memory in time.

Good luck. :)

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
I don't know much about the cupti but regular kanger tanks are good around 20-30 watts with a .5 coil. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a device or what nic you're using but I have a joyetech aio and even though it's a .6 coil it's nowhere close to my .5 tanks and if I were using just that type of device I would step up the nic to compensate. It's probably worth getting everything right before you abandon it. I would research what material your coils are made of. From a quick search it looks like stainless which is good on ss or wattage mode. It won't work right in temp for the wrong metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Im really thinking about getting a dif mod because i cant get this one dialed in.
Welcome and glad you joined. I see so many complaints about Kanger, I just keep this info in my saved data.
Could contact:
KangerTech US--Atlanta, GA--888-799-1988
Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr: 9:00am-5:30pm EST

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
I don't know much about the cupti but regular kanger tanks are good around 20-30 watts with a .5 coil. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a device or what nic you're using but I have a joyetech aio and even though it's a .6 coil it's nowhere close to my .5 tanks and if I were using just that type of device I would step up the nic to compensate. It's probably worth getting everything right before you abandon it. I would research what material your coils are made of. From a quick search it looks like stainless which is good on ss or wattage mode. It won't work right in temp for the wrong metal.

Seems like the cupti is hit or miss. Some ppl have problems with them, some dont.

I have a couple dif juices, couple 6mg one 18mg. The 18mg is what i was having the most problems with. Apparently its too thin n floods the coil easier, much harsher, and cheaper quality so can cause problems with the coil.

Weird that the 18mg is thinner because it looks much thicker. If tilt the bottle a little then spin it, it moves much slower n looks much thicker than than the 6mg. But if you stir it with the dropper, the 6 feels much thicker eventhough looks much thinner

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
I did end up getting a new mod though. K got the smok osub 80w. Right when set it up it was spitting. They did get it going right before i left the store though. I did feel really dumb after he fixed the spitting cause my mouth and lips were getting wet.

I took a pull and said it was still spitting. My buddy and the guy that worked there both took a pull and said it wasnt. What i thought was spitting was jus the vapor going back to a liquid lol. Ya felt pretty stupid after that lol. At least not completely stupid and crazy because they both agreed that both mods were spitting at first but got them squared away.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Is there anyway to set it up to get a decent pull but not get the wet feeling? Like the cheap njoys, the jewels, blu, and the other cigarette style ones?

I really want to quit smoking cigs, but i really cant get used to the wet feeling. I could careless about blowing huge clouds, i jus want the vape to get rid of my craving and not have the wet feeling.

I just started vaping a few days ago but it's not really curing my cravings or even a smoking alternative. Right now it seems more like im jus vaping for the yummy taste of the vape, but i really cant get used to the wet feeling even when they arent spitting. If i could get more dry vapor so it doesnt leave my mouth wet but still satisfy my cravings it would be some each easier to put down the cigs n vape.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Is there anyway to set it up to get a decent pull but not get the wet feeling? Like the cheap njoys, the jewels, blu, and the other cigarette style ones?

I really want to quit smoking cigs, but i really cant get used to the wet feeling. I could careless about blowing huge clouds, i just want the vape to get rid of my craving and not have the wet feeling.

@JadidasKV - There are a lot of us on here who just want to vape (at a decent level above the cig-a-likes and eGos), not need to smoke and enjoy the experience.
You are coming at this from some of the wrong directions - it's not your fault, that's just the way it is.
The lure of the impressive latest technology is powerful... we all know that.

The 'wet' feeling is common enough (when it's not working quite right) to products that are pushing the boundaries of power and vapor production. Cup technology is new and is way from perfect... you got unlucky there.
Smok are a company determined to win the race of power vaping. I don't blame them, it's the only direction they can go to out-do the Joyetech/Aspire/Kanger hold on the market.
They (along with reviewers and their commission incentives) are on a mission to produce really innovative and incredible value products... but the drawbacks are plain to see. Expensive coils, tons of e-liquid used up. Problems when not working right or newbie issues.

I you have a new mod (great!) then you need to find a tank better suited to work like a cheap cig-a-like or basic eGo product. They do exist.

Until you find your feet, you want a reliable mouth to lung tank probably.
If you don't want a mouth to lung tank, then you need a rock solid subohm tank with the least chance of problems. Maybe Smok now make such a thing... I don't know... but vaping at high power is going to be more moist than low power i.m.o... we are talking a steam-like creating device after all. :)

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
@JadidasKV - There are a lot of us on here who just want to vape (at a decent level above the cig-a-likes and eGos), not need to smoke and enjoy the experience.
You are coming at this from some of the wrong directions - it's not your fault, that's just the way it is.
The lure of the impressive latest technology is powerful... we all know that.

The 'wet' feeling is common enough (when it's not working quite right) to products that are pushing the boundaries of power and vapor production. Cup technology is new and is way from perfect... you got unlucky there.
Smok are a company determined to win the race of power vaping. I don't blame them, it's the only direction they can go to out-do the Joyetech/Aspire/Kanger hold on the market.
They (along with reviewers and their commission incentives) are on a mission to produce really innovative and incredible value products... but the drawbacks are plain to see. Expensive coils, tons of e-liquid used up. Problems when not working right or newbie issues.

I you have a new mod (great!) then you need to find a tank better suited to work like a cheap cig-a-like or basic eGo product. They do exist.

Until you find your feet, you want a reliable mouth to lung tank probably.
If you don't want a mouth to lung tank, then you need a rock solid subohm tank with the least chance of problems. Maybe Smok now make such a thing... I don't know... but vaping at high power is going to be more moist than low power i.m.o... we are talking a steam-like creating device after all. :)

So how do i get rid of that wet feeling if it not working right thats causing it? I notice its not as much with the cupti as the smok mod, even at the same levels. As stated, i dont care as much for the big clouds as i do not getting the wet feeling.

Right out the box the smok was spitting and getting the wet feeling even set on lower wattage/temp. Also seems like if the cupti sits too long not being used, the next time i use it its spitting. The smok, starts to spit after more usage.

Right now im doubling my money smoking cigs and vaping. Obviously once i get it where i like it, it wont take long until im saving money since cigs are $10-11 bucks a pack here in boston ma. Thought i have cut down on the cigs, still not enough of a cut back on days the mods arent working right.

Its ridiculous that these companies just rush these products out the door to make a buck. Instead of takin their time to work out the bugs before mass producing them. You make more money on return customers if you have a good product opposed to someone buying your brand once not being happy with it and switching to a dif brand. But we all know that. They jus dont care because they feel as if they make enough with on one time customers and a few returned customers hoping the next one is better.

Samething with the xbox and playstation. Playstation seems to take more time on their products and less bugs where xbox rushes them out with bigs but ppl still buy them. Not me. Ive never once spent a dime on a xbox product lol.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
More PG in your juice. 60/40.
More wattage. As you increase wattage you will need to adjust your airflow.
The above will Dry Out your vape.
Increase nicotine to fight the Monkey.
More patience, you are just starting.
Realize Vaping is not smoking. Don't compare the new girlfriend with the old one.

It's a process, many options to find your way..

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Its ridiculous that these companies just rush these products out the door to make a buck. Instead of takin their time to work out the bugs before mass producing them. You make more money on return customers if you have a good product opposed to someone buying your brand once not being happy with it and switching to a dif brand. But we all know that. They jus dont care because they feel as if they make enough with on one time customers and a few returned customers hoping the next one is better.

The thing is. E-cigs have been on a massive rise from virtually 'nowhere' to 'somewhere' quite amazing from a business point of view.
$400 million in 2009.
$3,200 million in 2015.

The big boys (those nasty scam-review brands) were well over $200 million in sales individually even in 2014.
However it's not all 'easy money' as one of the worst and truly despicable corporations (an e-cig company that sells multiple brands, all of which are 1st or 2nd generation and massively over-priced) has seen it's share price plummet from $2.60 to... um... about half a dime. :eek:

The companies we talk about on here (Kanger, Joyetech, Aspire, Smok etc.) are NOT these brands. We are at the leading edge of the technology.
There are pitfalls and the way to avoid them is not to jump at the new products straight away.

You're on the right side of the fence buying mods and tanks and avoiding the brands shops, you can be sure of that. It just takes a while to work out what works for you and putting stuff aside that isn't right at the moment. Mods are mods (most work OK and last long enough for the $50 investment)....
We've all bought tanks that didn't do it for us. You just pick yourself up and go again.

Reactions: daviedog

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
So how do i get rid of that wet feeling if it not working right thats causing it? I notice its not as much with the cupti as the smok mod, even at the same levels. As stated, i dont care as much for the big clouds as i do not getting the wet feeling.

Right out the box the smok was spitting and getting the wet feeling even set on lower wattage/temp. Also seems like if the cupti sits too long not being used, the next time i use it its spitting. The smok, starts to spit after more usage.

Right now im doubling my money smoking cigs and vaping. Obviously once i get it where i like it, it wont take long until im saving money since cigs are $10-11 bucks a pack here in boston ma. Thought i have cut down on the cigs, still not enough of a cut back on days the mods arent working right.

Samething with the xbox and playstation. Playstation seems to take more time on their products and less bugs where xbox rushes them out with bigs but ppl still buy them. Not me. Ive never once spent a dime on a xbox product lol.
Well first, it isn't that the majority of companies rush stuff out for a quick buck, it is more that if you put 100 vapers in a room, you aren't likely to find 2 that vape exactly the same, so its about the ability to customize your settings.

That said, lets go to vape theory.
If you find your clouds and vape to thick, reduce the power and airflow, and use a small bore mouth piece. Mouth piece also reduces the air you pull through. Airflow cools the coil. Lower power means you don't need to cool the coil as much and the juice evaporates slower.
The higher your VG/PG ratio the thicker your juice and the slower it will wick. Thick juice, slow wick = less spitting.
If you find you are still getting spitting, leave the air flow as is, and increase power slightly. 2 to 3 watts will usually make a difference.
Higher resistance coils also produce less vapor, so are better for M2L.
Next.. ALWAYS prime your coils. 2 or 3 drops in the top, and just enough on the wicking holes to dampen then and "chase" the air out. Vape wick works just like a candle wick or paper towel. If you find a lot of spitting after priming, put 1 drop less in the top next time.
Now, if you find you burn through a lot of coils consider:
Supports Optional CLRBA Rebuildable Atomizer (Sold Separately) *from the web site on your device*
Or.. a Kanger toptank mini which comes with an RBA Mini.

A rebuildable atomizer means you can just replace the cotton if you burn it. 1 organic cotton ball will make about 5 or 8 wicks easy. I prefer cotton bacon. I pay $8 a pouch, but if I only used it on my kanger rba, it would last me for years.
*if you buy your juice and cotton from the same shop, and buy the RBA there, if you ask for a couple feet of wire to practice building a couple coils... they will probably give you a few feet* (owner at my shop gave me about 30 feet off his shop spool to start off)
It is also good to remember who butters your bread. Meaning... if the guys at the local shop help you out with advice and such for free... send them some business on your regular purchases. Juice, cotton, batteries. (provided they sell the LG, SONY, or Samsung batteries) *I won't use any other brand* (even a regulated mod can fail and cause batteries to short. Those 3 brands will vent out, cheaper brands heat up super fast and go boom. For the sake of a few $$$, why risk a boom in your pocket, right? It is pretty rare for a regulated mod to fail like that, but it only takes once.)

Once you find a good vape shop with good staff, stick with them. My local shop won't sell me a dual cell mech until I can pass a battery and building quiz. Now that is a good shop. Having looked into and studied those, (I don't think I even want one now. Anything I can do on that, I can do on a 300w box mod.)

I would also avoid TC mode. VW is much easier to set up. Always start low wattage and work your way up to your sweet spot. Save you a lot of coils that way.

Reactions: djsvapour

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I didn't see it mentioned but..
What mg of nicotine are you using and what pg/vg ratio?
M2L while quitting cigs, you will probably want between 12 to 18 for a pack a day, 18 to 24 if more than a pack a day.
btw.. higher pg also adds to the harshness, or throat hit, so if you are craving and find your throat is getting sore, use a higher VG percentage. I use 20/80 and have since my 2nd week on tanks and drippers.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Awesome. Thank you guys for all your good advice.
I was told when priming, not to put it in the top cause that's whats going to flood it and make it spit more. Especially in the smok osub plus. I was told only to put it in the wicking holes. The guy at the shop up the street told me i dont even have to prime it, jus let it sit for a couple mins after filling. I let it sit for at least 10-15mins even after priming n still taste burnt right away.

The guy at the shop up the st is a wicked dbag. Not a ppl person at all. One of my good friends has known him over 10 years, and hes even moody/pissy to him.

The other shop i went to, the guy there was way cooler and much more knowledgeable. Thats the shop im going to stick with, and stay away from the one up the st.

I have a few dif juices. One im not sure the mg or vg/pg % because my buddy i bought the cupti off of gave me a half bottle but of a cake flavor but its in a dif bottle than it came in. The juice i got at the shop up the st is cold fusion particles proton which is 18mg. I camt find a vg/pg % on it. All i can see is on it is barely ledgable and looks like it says prop 65 but thats it.

The juice i got with the smok osub is made by nerdy, strawberry kiwi flavor, 6mg, think its a 30 pg/70 vg.

I also have bought a few sample bottles from EC BLEND. I bought them years ago to refill my njoy cig-a-like cartridges. Most of those are either 12mg 50/50 and 6mg 50/50

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
30/70 pg/vg or 20/80 is fine for most tanks. E-cig style need more of a 50/50 mix.
even 35/65 isnt bad for tanks. 6mg is for light smokers or DL vapers mostly. Since DL produces a massive amount of fog. I use 3mg as 6mg is way to much on my Attys. (I use a lot of drip attys) *and some ridiculous coil set ups* I think a hex coil (6 coils) is my max so far. That said, neither I, or my wife (who doesn't smoke or vape) has had a cold since last April..no self respecting germ can survive in the fog in this place

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Ya i when i got the osub the at better shop, he doesn't really sell many 18mg juices. He says most 18mg juices arent good quality. I know i need at least 18mg, if not higher since i was a pack-1.5pack a day smoker, but he doesnt really like to sell them because he says there arent many good quality 18mg+ juices.

The crappy shop up the street, he doesnt care what he sells. Hes not very helpful, friendly, not really a people person, and hell sell anything to make a buck.

My buddy that got me into vaping and sold me the cupti, he goes to the better shop all the time since he knows the guy and gives us good deals. The guy at the crappy shop, even if you spend $500 bucks a week there, he wont even give you a buck off.

The better shop, my first and only time in there so far, he sold me the osub which he sells for $80 or $90, 5 pack of coils he sells for $20, and a bottle of juice he sells for $22 or $25, i paid $105 for everything. I was in the shop for over an hour between him getting the cupti and osub from spitting/running right, and just shooting the $#!+/picking his brain. Really good guy.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
A good shop will usually give deals on things like juice and coils. Last time I stopped by the shop I really like I bought a bottle of juice and got another from filling up my punch card. Then I was asking him about trying out some different coils. He gave me a couple that he ordered for someone who didn't pick them up. Also a great guy to talk to about setups or juice recommendations or whatever. Always has time for a customer. Not that the other shops around town are bad but I appreciate a place that values customer satisfaction over making a buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread