New to vaping. Could use some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hey y'all.
Thought i should say hi to all the nice people in the community.

So i just started vaping 3 weeks ago and am at that point where i need to get new coils but am so confused because of the wide variety and range of options available.
(Eg EC,ECL,NI,TI,CERAMIC,CCELL and many more)
I have an istick pico 75w that came with the melo 3 mini tank and I'd like to know which coil do you guys recommend?

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I've used both. Depends on the juice, resistance, wattage also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I'm using 70vg juice.
Resistance depends on the coil right?
And pico can go upto 75w max.
I'm unsure on how subohm and above 1ohm affects the vape. Hoping you could enlighten me?

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm using 70vg juice.
I'm unsure on how subohm and above 1ohm affects the vape. Hoping you could enlighten me?

I just looked it up and the melo three comes with two coil choices.. a .3 and a .5 ohm coil, both seem to be for wattage mode.. the .3 is rated to 80 watts (meaning somewhere around 60 watts will probably be your max) and the .5 can go the full 75 watts of your pico..

The triton coils do work in the melo tank.. however. So if you want temp mode you probably want to go there.

Reactions: Cf11

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I'm using 70vg juice.
Yes, fi.. I use a .15 quad kanthal coil at 70 watts with 50/50 blend. But every person has their own preference. I use BLVK Unicorn Unicake in my Skyhook RDTA .25 dual fused clapton at 45 watts and get plenty of cloud and flavor. So I think it's something you just need to play around with (different coils, tanks, juice, etc)
I know it would be boring just to have 1 flavor, 1 resistance, tank style, or juice.
Variety is the spice of life, or something like that.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm using 70vg juice.

For me personally, I don't sub ohm.. I get a very pleasant vape at 12 watts or so using a 1.4 ohm coil.. (on average) I get plenty of flavor and some tanks vape warm without all the wattage, which can be pleasant for me..

When it comes to what you like, it's very individual. Some people like sub ohm.. (my son is one who was successful in quitting smoking at higher wattage) some people such as myself simply can't go there, or don't at all enjoy that type of vaping. I go more for recreating the smoking experience through vaping.

It's all a matter of trying different things, and finding what you personally like the best. Try a couple mtl tanks at lower wattage, and try higher wattage, try temp mode.. see where your own happy place is.

Without actually trying different things, you probably won't understand them so much no matter how much we sit and try to explain the experience.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I just looked it up and the melo three comes with two coil choices.. a .3 and a .5 ohm coil, both seem to be for wattage mode.. the .3 is rated to 80 watts (meaning somewhere around 60 watts will probably be your max) and the .5 can go the full 75 watts of your pico..

The triton coils do work in the melo tank.. however. So if you want temp mode you probably want to go there.
So there are different TC modes in the pico(TC NI, TC TI, TC SS, TCR). Triton coils can be used with which of these?

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017

How do the .3 and the .5 differ? Except the resistance obviously. I've tried both and i can't really tell the difference.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
So there are different TC modes in the pico(TC NI, TC TI, TC SS, TCR). Triton coils can be used with which of these?
This is what I show for the Triton (please correct me if I am wrong )

.3ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
0.4ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
1.8ohm Coil : Kanthal Wire

So the .3 and .4 would run in TC-SS and the 1.8 in power/wattage.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Okay.. the coil types are the ni, ti, SS.. that stands for nichrome, titanium, and stainless steel.. those are all coils made of those resistance wires that can do the temperature control mode..(aka tc) (so tc ni = temperature control with a nichrome coil, so on and so forth)

Which one, whether it's the titanium or the stainless etc. Is personal choice,many people like stainless because it can do both wattage mode as well as tc, some claim it to also have a cleaner taste.. but you might want to try all three types just to see which one you like best.

I can't explain tcr to you.. I have no experience with that mode. I'm sure someone else will do a fine job of explaining that..

Triton is a tank made by atlantis and they make temperature control coils (and more) for the triton tank..(stainless steel) those coils are compatible in your melo tank meaning, you can use those coils as well with the tank you have..(It just opens up your options of coils more)

Last edited:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Most of you suggested that i just need to try it all out. And i think that does make sense, vaping being such a vast area.
Looking forward to getting into advanced vaping with mech mods and all like you guys.
Cheers! Vape on.
It's sorta like going from a 1960 Camaro to a 2017 Lexus. Simple to complex. [emoji3]

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
This is what I show for the Triton (please correct me if I am wrong )

.3ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
0.4ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
1.8ohm Coil : Kanthal Wire

So the .3 and .4 would run in TC-SS and the 1.8 in power/wattage.

Could you explain what exactly TC mode offers?
I know that it cuts the coil off when the temperature is too high and helps in avoiding dry hits... But is that all?

Reactions: Opinionated

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Could you explain what exactly TC mode offers?
I know that it cuts the coil off when the temperature is too high and helps in avoiding dry hits... But is that all?
Depending on the type of wire being used it is going to heat it appropriately. You control the wattage and temp but the wire heats differently

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
It's sorta like going from a 1960 Camaro to a 2017 Lexus. Simple to complex. [emoji3]

Hahah :p
I know i got a long road before i can get to the mech mods, they scare me a little frankly... Seeing them explode all over YouTube i was skeptical about vaping as a whole thing.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hahah [emoji14]
I know i got a long road before i can get to the mech mods, they scare me a little frankly... Seeing them explode all over YouTube i was skeptical about vaping as a whole thing.
Seeing them explode is usually a operational error. ie Texting and driving.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hahah :p

That's not a river you need to jump into blind.. people mess up when they don't know ohms law, their battery, and build too low..

There is much to learn before going down that river, and they make wonderful regulated mods that are so good you don't really need something unregulated.. (regulated generally has some wonderful safety features and mech = unregulated) although none of the regulated mods absolves you from having to learn ohms law, the limits of your battery and what coils can do what..

I learned it just so I would know it.. it's real good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread