DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey y'all.
Thought i should say hi to all the nice people in the community.

So i just started vaping 3 weeks ago and am at that point where i need to get new coils but am so confused because of the wide variety and range of options available.
(Eg EC,ECL,NI,TI,CERAMIC,CCELL and many more)
I have an istick pico 75w that came with the melo 3 mini tank and I'd like to know which coil do you guys recommend?

Good Morning and Welcome!

I just popped a Melo III on my Pico yesterday - 0.3Ω EC coil - amazing flavor and cloud. Go simple at first. TC is nice - it basically puts a governor on the power to maintain the temp of the coil. I have a few Ni coils that I'll use occasionally. Run about 420-450F

If you get comfortable (and spend some time educating yourself) you can use the ECR heads to rebuild yourself. The sky is then the limit - you can build (within the capabilities of your batteries) with whatever material (Kanthal, NiChrome, SS, Ni, Ti) and use cotton or rayon (which is becoming my favorite wicking material)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I've only quickly skimmed the messages

My condolences to you @Opinionated :oops:

TCR - this is a "fine-tuning" you can use for different material types. Kanthal really isn't suited for TC/TCR, nor is NiCr.

Check out: Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators - this is a GREAT site with all kinds of delightful information

upload_2017-4-22_9-49-46.png

30g, SS316L - the TCR setting would be the TC Precision highlighted above. HOWEVER - know your device! Some key in with leading zeroes - you may not be keying in "879" but maybe "88".

Note, you can't use Ni or Ti on UNregulated mods.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
It's just a part of life - and I thank you for the condolences. I was privileged to have known them.. :)

Cheers to life! :D live a good one and find some pleasure in your own corner of the world.. make a mark that is good if you can!

It's what it's all about!

Congratulations on quitting smoking, and welcome to ecf! :)
It's great how optimistic you're. :)
Thanks buddy. :)
Cheers!

Reactions: Opinionated

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I've only quickly skimmed the messages

My condolences to you @Opinionated :oops:

TCR - this is a "fine-tuning" you can use for different material types. Kanthal really isn't suited for TC/TCR, nor is NiCr.

Check out: Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators - this is a GREAT site with all kinds of delightful information

View attachment 650815

30g, SS316L - the TCR setting would be the TC Precision highlighted above. HOWEVER - know your device! Some key in with leading zeroes - you may not be keying in "879" but maybe "88".

Note, you can't use Ni or Ti on UNregulated mods.
Hey thanks.
I think I'm too new right now maybe to try TCR but it's good to know. Will sure get into it after a little experience and a lot of reading on it. :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Good Morning and Welcome!

I just popped a Melo III on my Pico yesterday - 0.3Ω EC coil - amazing flavor and cloud. Go simple at first. TC is nice - it basically puts a governor on the power to maintain the temp of the coil. I have a few Ni coils that I'll use occasionally. Run about 420-450F

If you get comfortable (and spend some time educating yourself) you can use the ECR heads to rebuild yourself. The sky is then the limit - you can build (within the capabilities of your batteries) with whatever material (Kanthal, NiChrome, SS, Ni, Ti) and use cotton or rayon (which is becoming my favorite wicking material)
Hey thanks for the reply. I do like the coils that come along but i just wanted to explore you know.
So you have the same setup as i do(pico and melo3 mini).
Could you tell me if the TC mode works great in this setup?
I remember reading that only the wattage mode is good and TC sucks.
Also what TC coils do you prefer?

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
A couple of things I'd like to add. First of on the ceramic coil study that was done by a company that makes coils so that makes me wonder about their motive (should do this with all studies look at what's behind it and who.) An independent lab tested them and found no problems. On tc with you being so new to vaping I wouldn't worth about it right now just try different coils in we mode and get the one that works the best for you then try tc but make sure you have your coil you like on hand as you figure things out. Might want to get another tank with a different coil in it so you can just change tanks as you figure things out. Also I would just get another Mellon III tank for trying different coils. After you get your setup dial in for you then buy other tanks and mods to try. You always need back ups.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
A couple of things I'd like to add. First of on the ceramic coil study that was done by a company that makes coils so that makes me wonder about their motive (should do this with all studies look at what's behind it and who.) An independent lab tested them and found no problems. On tc with you being so new to vaping I wouldn't worth about it right now just try different coils in we mode and get the one that works the best for you then try tc but make sure you have your coil you like on hand as you figure things out. Might want to get another tank with a different coil in it so you can just change tanks as you figure things out. Also I would just get another Mellon III tank for trying different coils. After you get your setup dial in for you then buy other tanks and mods to try. You always need back ups.
Yeh i was skeptical about the study but makes you wonder you know. Thanks for the reassurance and the advice:).

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey thanks for the reply. I do like the coils that come along but i just wanted to explore you know.
So you have the same setup as i do(pico and melo3 mini).
Could you tell me if the TC mode works great in this setup?
I remember reading that only the wattage mode is good and TC sucks.
Also what TC coils do you prefer?

I haven't had any trouble with Ni in TC mode. Using the stock coils has been good. M playing with SS in TC mode. Because the Pico doesn't support SS directly, I'll have to set one of the TCR spots

It's a great mod for me :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I haven't had any trouble with Ni in TC mode. Using the stock coils has been good. M playing with SS in TC mode. Because the Pico doesn't support SS directly, I'll have to set one of the TCR spots

It's a great mod for me :)
It does support the TC SS mode directly. I have it in my pico. They must have added it in the update or something.
Also are you using the eleaf NI coils? Or some other brand?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
It does support the TC SS mode directly. I have it in my pico. They must have added it in the update or something.
Also are you using the eleaf NI coils? Or some other brand?

Eleaf :) Snagged a bunch quite some time ago (so I don't remember from where :oops: ) Vapecrawler.com - EXCELLENT site for locating things.... One feature I like is that you can sort by price ;)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Eleaf :) Snagged a bunch quite some time ago (so I don't remember from where :oops: ) Vapecrawler.com - EXCELLENT site for locating things.... One feature I like is that you can sort by price ;)
Hey thanks I'll check it out :)
What temp and wattage/voltage do you use for TC?
Also have you tried the ECL coils? Recommended?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
For the Ni200 coils, I set the temp around 420F (give or take). Power - eh, that's just how fast I want to get to temp, so maybe 30W or so. The ECLs are pretty new (in fact, first I'd heard of these) I would probably try a pack if I can find them for not a big chunk of change ;)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I've not read it all, so forgive me if anything is a bit 'off'.

Just a few from me;

1) I don't worry at all about Li-ion batteries inside good mods. I've inadvertently used the wrong batteries and tried to fire coils lower than the minimum. Nothing has let me down yet. Even the 'legendary' (not) Cloupor mini behaves itself. I also use a Fuchai 213 which was immediately blasted and then sent Sigelei into a downward spiral of trouble.

2) I have no plan to use ceramic ever, like I got away from Silica as soon as possible. Ultimately, my gut instinct is not to trust a material that is bad for me when something goes a bit 'wrong'....

3) Factory TC coils are junky and mostly don't work properly. Now, not being a Smok devotee, maybe things are better with them, or a few other chosen brands, but I can report failures with Kanger, Eleaf and Joyetech... basically, they won't let you vape... I call it a con and the industry should take more skepticism from the community. I use TC coils made from 316 wire (by hand, obviously) and they are wonderful.... quite outstanding.
If I had just $1 for each factory TC coil I have bought/tried/been sent by fellow vapers that didn't really work, I would have over $100 in my bank. Appalling.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Hey thanks I'll check it out :)
What temp and wattage/voltage do you use for TC?
Also have you tried the ECL coils? Recommended?

@Cf11

I've been vaping since last august and have not tried TC yet. I went directly to wattage and about 2 months after to coil building. I only use kanthal and cotton and vape at lower wattages (10-14). I guess at some point I'll try TC.

You can and should read about vaping before trying anything different than a starter kit. ECF has a lot of resources and as this thread proves there is great people that can help us. I also recommend to see the spinfuel.com site, search for their Guide for New Vapers and also they have some articles that are pretty easy to read. They are located at the right side of the page under the title Vital Vaping Info.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
For the Ni200 coils, I set the temp around 420F (give or take). Power - eh, that's just how fast I want to get to temp, so maybe 30W or so. The ECLs are pretty new (in fact, first I'd heard of these) I would probably try a pack if I can find them for not a big chunk of change ;)
Thanks.
Let me know how you like em. :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I've not read it all, so forgive me if anything is a bit 'off'.

Just a few from me;

1) I don't worry at all about Li-ion batteries inside good mods. I've inadvertently used the wrong batteries and tried to fire coils lower than the minimum. Nothing has let me down yet. Even the 'legendary' (not) Cloupor mini behaves itself. I also use a Fuchai 213 which was immediately blasted and then sent Sigelei into a downward spiral of trouble.

2) I have no plan to use ceramic ever, like I got away from Silica as soon as possible. Ultimately, my gut instinct is not to trust a material that is bad for me when something goes a bit 'wrong'....

3) Factory TC coils are junky and mostly don't work properly. Now, not being a Smok devotee, maybe things are better with them, or a few other chosen brands, but I can report failures with Kanger, Eleaf and Joyetech... basically, they won't let you vape... I call it a con and the industry should take more skepticism from the community. I use TC coils made from 316 wire (by hand, obviously) and they are wonderful.... quite outstanding.
If I had just $1 for each factory TC coil I have bought/tried/been sent by fellow vapers that didn't really work, I would have over $100 in my bank. Appalling.
Thanks for the response buddy.
I see what you're saying about the TC but for a newbie like me making my own could is like asking for my face to explode.
I've seen videos I've read a lot but Everytime i think I'll make my own coil i remember those videos of Vapes exploding and i just try to stick to the factory made ones.
Would like to try it for sure someday.

Reactions: Tonee N

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
@Cf11

I've been vaping since last august and have not tried TC yet. I went directly to wattage and about 2 months after to coil building. I only use kanthal and cotton and vape at lower wattages (10-14). I guess at some point I'll try TC.

You can and should read about vaping before trying anything different than a starter kit. ECF has a lot of resources and as this thread proves there is great people that can help us. I also recommend to see the spinfuel.com site, search for their Guide for New Vapers and also they have some articles that are pretty easy to read. They are located at the right side of the page under the title Vital Vaping Info.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Hi buddy :)
I'll definitely check those out.
So when you first started building which device did you use? As in... Did you put the coils in the premade coils or did you use an rda?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I see what you're saying about the TC but for a newbie like me making my own could is like asking for my face to explode.
I've seen videos I've read a lot but Everytime i think I'll make my own coil i remember those videos of Vapes exploding and i just try to stick to the factory made ones.
I was hesitate in wrapping my own coils but with the right equipment and knowledge I enjoy them just as much as my T8-Q4 coils from Smok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

OK - I can see the sense. The main point I was trying to get over was that too many factory TC coils are hype and disappointment. As long as you aware that I am not the only voice in the community saying this, then you won't dive in and buy multiple packets of coils before making your own mind up.

Reactions: Izan and Cf11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread