• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

new to vaping...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

over50

Nov 16, 2013
Edmonton
Hello All,
Posing a question as I am abit confused about what to purchase. Goal is to quit the analogs(smoked since I was 12 &now over50-current brand last 6 or 7 years has been Benson&Hedges Menthol Superslims so pretty lightweight in the nic dept & between 1/2 to almost a pk daily depending on the day). I did purchase s disposable e-cig the other day just to see and the minute I got that hit in the back of my throat,I knew this is what I need to achieve the nonsmoker goal). I want the hardware to be simple( no plans to continue on once the goal is achieved) and so want something like the disposable e-cigs in which there is a cartridge of juice which you simply screw on/would like though to be able to recharge the hardware instead of constant buying of batteries(ie: in any available USB port or such as I will likely need to do so once and while at work). Do not want anything complicated( I am a very uncomplicated person!) and no having to fill my own cartridges,etc. As mentioned just want to purchase a ready filled cartridges & screw it on to the hardware, then recharge the device when I need to(also I am in the prairies of Canada for purchasing sake) HELP please all former but now non-smokers!!!!!

over50

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
All of the pre-filled cartridge type of ecigs suck. I strongly recommend you get an Ego Kit and a few different clearomizers to try out. They are dead easy to refill. I do it on the fly while at work - takes 2 seconds. Then the world's your oyster in terms of juices to try out.

For someone who smokes reguarly, and has been smoking for a long time, you really need to invest in some gear to be successful. And fiddling with your gear is inherent to that success, more often than not. You need back ups, and juice to spare considering this is all done via mail.

If you really must go with pre-filled cartridges, you're probably looking at getting a 808 unit. This would be like the Halo G6, SmokelessImage Volt, Bloog. Those are the best 808 units out there as far as I know... but they are supplementary devices for most people.

You can get some pre-filled 510 cartridges I guess. I don't know much about them.

I say this not to drive you away, but to wrap your head around the challenges. Convenience comes via being able to puff where ever you are (within reason) and never having to run to the store at midnight. The trade off is all the issues that may come with electronic devices... such as dead batteries, and being disappointed with the purchase you've been stalking the mailbox for. You're better off avoiding entry level stuff like 808 units. Just my 2 cents.

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
I'm with Concat. I read your post from the office this afternoon and hesitated about saying a lot of the same things he did, because I was worried it would scare you away.

Liquid really is the way to go. Your tastes are going to change so much once you start vaping (especially since your sense of taste, sense of smell will be gradually restored) in ways you can't really anticipate. For instance, I got started at a brick and mortar store. One battery, one clearomizer, a 5ml bottle of juice with a flavour that was supposed to mimic my brand (Camel Blue) to some extent. I loved it! I was like, ha, this is easy, I'm getting my nic fix, I have something to inhale with my morning coffee, this rules!

So I went back to the store and bought another 30ml of that liquid, plus a tiny sample of a Canadian RY4, which I didn't touch. Vaped that 30ml and was close to running out eventually, so I called the store and asked if they could set aside a bottle for me so I could pick it up after work. THEY WERE OUT OF IT! So I went across town on my lunch hour to another store, bought TWO $20 bottles of it, figuring I wouldn't let that happen again. Two days later I couldn't stand the stuff. It tasted awful to me, and burned the back of my throat. So I tried the RY4 I had picked up a sample of and thought hmm, now THIS I can get behind. And on it went, I tried a bunch of other flavours, including some I NEVER would have thought I'd want to inhale instead of cigarettes. But I do.

If you go the pre-filled route, your flavour choices are limited, and most of them really aren't very good. Whereas if you go the clearo route, first of all, you have way more choice in how you want things to go. Warmer vapour? Cooler? Several flavours on the go at once? No problem! And there are a lot of cheap $5 clearos that work just fine, many of which are designed to be easily maintained. If you don't feel like fiddling around, the fiddling could be limited to topping up a tank before you go to bed, and changing a coil head (screw out old one, screw in new one) once a week or so. It's not difficult, the companies that make these things want them to be usable by a broad cross-section of people.

It's really not all that different from cigarettes, you're just not used to it. Do you think tapping a cig every now and then to shake off the ash is a hassle? Buying a new lighter? Unwrapping the cellophane, pulling out the warning card and the foil, and sometimes having a hard time getting that first one out? Never mind getting rid of all those spent butts. These things are probably totally transparent to you by now, but looking back I can't believe I did all of them. Dripping some juice into a plastic tank is so much easier than getting dressed at ten o'clock at night to go to the corner store or gas station.

Edit: If it matters, all of this is coming from a twenty-year, pack-a-day smoker. Quit 48 days, or 48 packs, or roughly $550 ago. Not a single cigarette in that time.

Last edited:

over50

Nov 16, 2013
Edmonton
Thank you both so much for replying- I really appreciate it.
I actually would not have a problem filling the cartridge thingie and so don't have a problem with that at all. Although I have smoked many years, my habit has never caused me too much grief( I have never had an emergency nocturnal store visit, I do not smoke in my home(stand outside even in the -30 weather) or car and at work, it is very limited as I work in a major trauma hospital where there are exactly 2 smoking areas- both quite a walk for me to get to, I have no problem not smoking for hours when there is no place to do so such as on really long flights of 8 or more hours, etc). The only time I really feel I must smoke is in the AM with my coffee and this ( although I know I mentioned I am a halfpack to one pack a day/my brand is 20 cigs per pack- more often than not the number of smokes used is the result of waste, that is smoking a cig only half and then chucking it rather than saving it and finishing it later- I can't stand the smell of the cig after it has been put out after having a few drags on it) is where the addiction really shows- without it I am the nightmare from hell in attitude and can't function properly). So I will check out all the ones that both of you have mentioned and hopefully, one of them will fit the bill.
over50:)

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Last piece of advice would be to buy into it, and be excited about dropping cigarettes. Gotta put all your chips in.

Honestly, once you get into the swing of things you'll never look back. Almost everyone prefers vaping after a month or so. Cigarettes taste gross and you'll even prefer the slight difference in nicotine absorption. Puffing on my ecig is so much more satisfying than regular cigs for me now. And yes, I still have one like every few months... almost just to try it or something. Ha...

You just have to get yourself set up for success is all. And you WILL notice a difference. I never thought smoking did much to my lungs, but after two months it was like breathing was all the sudden easier and fresher. It was a milestone for me and felt great.

Last edited:

Wolffy

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Over 50, your case sounds a lot like mine but I was smoking full strength and a carton a week (28.5 a day average). I went the cigalike route and would suggest you not waste your time or money. Still the cigalike did get me off of tobacco.

Some new hardware is supposed to show up tomorrow including a couple of Kanger mini Pro Tanks and 3, 650 mah batteries (one a pass through in case I forget to charge). The cartridges are a joke and never deliver as many puffs as advertized unless you take really tiny puffs. I have been refilling cartridges and think the tanks will be far easier.

The first couple of days were a bit rough but I didn't turn into 'devil spawn' on the 3rd day like I did when trying to quit in the past. Over the remainder of the week it got easier and I rarely got 'the itch' for a smoke after the first week. I still have the last pack of smokes I bought 32 days ago, wrapped in cellophane just to prove I don't even want them any more.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope you stack the cards in your favor more than I did. (better hardware)

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I have been looking around and i find a lot of people using the ego twist with a evod clearomizer. Do u think that a good set up?

I think it's a good set up for you right now. If you get into vaping and find you need something more down the line you can always upgrade to a mod of some type.

For tanks, I do like evods myself. I know some people don't, but none of the 10 I own have ever leaked or given me dry hits. The CE4s I used at first were okay--WHEN they worked. Mostly they leaked and gurgled. And besides that, you can't take them apart to clean them very well, and you certainly can't rebuild the coils and wick in them.

One tip--Your batteries will support a tank from about 1.8 ohms to 2.2 ohms. Vape shops are all different. Some will sell you anything, possibly because they don't know any better, but don't try to use a 3 ohm tank on an ego battery. The battery just doesn't have the voltage power to give you a good vape.

I wish you much success. As easy as this method is compared to the other ways, just remember there may be "those times" when you tighten up and get that old urge for a smoke. For that reason, I prepared myself by buying the gum and a pouch of chewing tobacco. (Yes, I'm a girl, lol). Both have come in handy a couple of times, but I haven't had to resort to them very often.

I smoked for about 46 years, 2 PAD the last couple of decades, no success in quitting before. I haven't had a cigarette since July 2, and I think I would croak if I smoked one. Ecigs and this forum have been my saving grace.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread