New to vaping.. ni200 TC help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanM

Aug 30, 2016
CA, USA
Hey everyone,

I decided it's time to quit smoking for good, and bought myself a new vaping setup that I'm hoping will be good enough to help me finally quit smoking. I bought a smok r200 and a Kanger Toptank. I'm having some confusion about the ni200 coils, and am not getting a good, consistent vape. I have it set to temp control mode, but every time I unscrew and rescrew the tank, the ohm reading is wildly different. It's anywhere from 0.34 to 1.06, and everywhere in between, and this seems fundamentally wrong. I'm also getting really janky hits out of it. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
The resistance reading is *supposed* to change as the coil heats up - that's how Temperature Control works/

You're supposed to 'lock' the resistance at room temperature when the coil's not been fired for awhile - this gives the 'base' reading that everything else is calculated from.

Are you sure that as well as bring in Temp mode, that you've also got the mod in Ni (Nickel mode)?

There are a few types of TC-compatible coil with different characteristics - SS, Ti and Ni are the main types that require different TC modes.

DeanM

Aug 30, 2016
CA, USA
Hmm, I see. But without firing it at all, whenever I unscrew and rescrew the tank, the resistance reading changes seemingly at random. Is that normal? And do you know how I can lock the resistance on my mod?

Would that explain why I'm getting off tasting, burnt hits? And I did prime the coil and let the juice sit in the tank for about 15 mins before I started vaping.

And yes, I've got the mod in Ni mode.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks for the reply. I think you're probably right, and I should do a little more research. I just had a strong desire to jump into the deep end of quality vaping because of past experiences with crappy cig-a-like vape products that didn't help me quit analogs at all

No worries. Think of all the vaping hardware as a big jigsaw puzzle. You get a few bits here and there and start putting pieces together. I go and get stuff out the cupboard that I thought were wasted... and put them together to make a rig.

Then again, even EVIC the original can't be saved.... 11w of pure not-power... meh.... :)

Reactions: DeanM

DeanM

Aug 30, 2016
CA, USA
Yeahh, I unfortunately already have a hobby just like that (hint; closet filled to spillin' with rackets, string, grip tape, and all else). I hate to admit this, but I am definitely the EJ type, and while not budget friendly, does mean that I have a trial-and-error obsession that eventually leads me to finding amazing gear combinations! Poor wallet..

Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread