New to vaping...quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
Hello to all. I'm new to this vaping community. My son let me borrow is Vape to try it out to see if vaping was something I'd even be interested in. I really do like it and want anything to give up analogs! So I've got a kangertech Nano on top of a Sigelei Mini. It has a occ 1.2ohm atomizer in it. When he gave it to me the digital panel read as follows- 15W, 4.3V, 1.2(with an "omega" symbol next to that number). I guess my question is, is that a safe setting for vaping? I understand everybody has a preference on what they like to run theirs on but since it's not mine, that's all I know about it and want to be safe and not have the thing blow up on me! I was thinking of getting my own but I really don't like the pen style ecigs they tell beginners to start off with! I saw a complete setup from kangertech I really like- the subox mini (I think it's called) that they offer in black and red with a 4.5 tank capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've read plenty of websites and still don't grasp ohms law and what is safe to run. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Falconeer

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy - and welcome :)

first off, you are in the right place - and the key to safety with any of the mods is having a good battery... a samsung 25r would be a good one for that wattage/ ohm range or an LG HG2 (bit longer life than the 25r)... the subox mini is a very decent kit and would work well within the parameters you are describing... also, there is a subox nano version that comes with the nano tank (subox mini comes with mini tank - both use same coils, mini holds more juice and can also use rebuildable coil head)

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
15 W at 1.2 ohms ( omega) is pretty much a standard setting for low to medium low vaping power.... any thing lower and you will get bored ;)
I like to directly inhale a puff instead of a mouth to lung hit so does it matter about the 1.2 ohms? I think I read somewhere that a 0.5 ohm is better for that. Correct? I saw that the kangertech comes with both a 1.5 ohm and a 0.5 ohm. So would either one of those be safe to run at 15 watts?

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015

first off, you are in the right place - and the key to safety with any of the mods is having a good battery... a samsung 25r would be a good one for that wattage/ ohm range or an LG HG2 (bit longer life than the 25r)...
I just took out the battery and it's the Samsung you were suggesting above. So that's good

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015

first off, you are in the right place - and the key to safety with any of the mods is having a good battery... a samsung 25r would be a good one for that wattage/ ohm range or an LG HG2 (bit longer life than the 25r)... the subox mini is a very decent kit and would work well within the parameters you are describing... also, there is a subox nano version that comes with the nano tank (subox mini comes with mini tank - both use same coils, mini holds more juice and can also use rebuildable coil head)
I just took out the battery and looked and it's the Samsung you suggested above so that good

Reactions: dcfluegel

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I like to directly inhale a puff instead of a mouth to lung hit so does it matter about the 1.2 ohms? I think I read somewhere that a 0.5 ohm is better for that. Correct? I saw that the kangertech comes with both a 1.5 ohm and a 0.5 ohm. So would either one of those be safe to run at 15 watts?
i prefer the subohm (.5ohm in this case) coils, myself, and am a direct lung hitter - you could easily run the .5ohm coil on those devices (they are designed for it) but would likely find your 'sweet spot' around 28-35 watts with the vertical .5ohm coil (the one that comes with those kits - there is an older style horizontal .5ohm coil available also that would work, but you would likely run it in the 27-27 watt range - both are plenty safe with that battery also - though running higher watts will mean shorter battery life - i would recommend a second battery and an external charger... i only use the onboard usb charging in a pinch, as i feel the external is safer, more reliable and better at prolonging battery life - also, make sure any spare battery you carry is in a case - plastic case or silicone sleeve - to prevent accidental contact with items in pocket/bag/purse that might lead to discharge)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Let me chime in, I'll say go for the kanger mini subtank. I think you'll like the .5 coil better for direct lung hits. The Siggi mini is a nice piece of gear, but so is the kanger subox. You'll do fine in either. When you get it, come back and we'll help you get it dialed in.

Reactions: vigga256

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I've read plenty of websites and still don't grasp ohms law and what is safe to run.
When looking for a battery for your mod, from a safety standpoint, what is important is the battery Amp/CDR (continuous discharge rating).

For a regulated mod, in VW mode, you calculate the max current draw as Max Amps = Max Wattage / Min Battery Voltage. Min battery voltage is usually calculated using 3.2 volts (this is the point your mod will no longer fire).

So with the Kanger Subox Max Amps = 50 watts/3.2 volts = 15.625 Amps. A 20A CDR batteries will allow you to operate safely through the whole range of wattage/voltage of your devise.

Here are some options for 20A batteries (in descending mAh):
  • AW 3000 mAh 20A CDR
  • LG HG2 3000 mAh 20A CDR
  • Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh 20A CDR
  • Sony VTC5 2600 mAh 20A CDR
  • LG HE2 or HE4 2500 mAh 20A CDR
  • Samsung 25r 2500 mAh 20A CDR
The mAh stands for milli-Ampere-hours and indicates how much electric charge the battery can provide. For example, if you discharge your battery through a circuit that requires 1 milli-Ampere of current it will last 2500 hours before the battery runs down (if the mAh of your battery is 2500). The higher the mAh, the longer your battery will last before it needs charging.
I think the 1.2Ω coil has smaller juice holes on the side of the coil. This would make the coil better for MTL.
The 0.5Ω coil has larger holes and would be better for direct lung inhaling.

Theoretically you could run either of those coils at 50 watts and not have a problem with a 20A CDR battery (as listed above).

However, if you were to run those coils at 50 watts you will get "dry hits" (especially the 1.2Ω coil), where the juice cannot be fed fast enough to keep up with the power being applied to them.

When you first get a new coil, prime the coil by dropping 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base, fill the tank and screw the base back onto the tank. Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Turn your voltage/wattage down, take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If your vape starts to taste burnt, dial it back down.

Kangertech suggested operating range for their OCC coils. These are not "hard" numbers. You can vape "lower/higher" if you want.

Horizontal OCC Coils
0.5 Ω coils - 15 watts to 30 watts. -- I run mine at 40-45 watts using 50/50 juice
1.2 Ω coils - 12 watts to 25 watts.

Vertical OCC Coils
0.2Ω coils - x watts to 80 watts
0.5Ω coils - 15 watts to 60 watts
1.2Ω coils - 10 watts to 26 watts
1.5Ω coils - 10 watts to 26 watts

Last edited:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello to all. I'm new to this vaping community. My son let me borrow is Vape to try it out to see if vaping was something I'd even be interested in. I really do like it and want anything to give up analogs! So I've got a kangertech Nano on top of a Sigelei Mini. It has a occ 1.2ohm atomizer in it. When he gave it to me the digital panel read as follows- 15W, 4.3V, 1.2(with an "omega" symbol next to that number). I guess my question is, is that a safe setting for vaping? I understand everybody has a preference on what they like to run theirs on but since it's not mine, that's all I know about it and want to be safe and not have the thing blow up on me! I was thinking of getting my own but I really don't like the pen style ecigs they tell beginners to start off with! I saw a complete setup from kangertech I really like- the subox mini (I think it's called) that they offer in black and red with a 4.5 tank capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've read plenty of websites and still don't grasp ohms law and what is safe to run. Thanks in advance!

If you're getting along well with the Subtank Nano; the Subox would be a great starting place for you.

Safe. On the side of the OCC coil heads they will tell youba safe vaping range.. If memory serves the vaping high end is 30 of 35 watts.

When you get the starter kit you will have to prime thf coils by adding s few drops of ejuice to the coil heads.

NEVER start vaping without saturating the cotton with ejuice because burning cotton tastes nasty

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
So back to the coil: go ahead and get a 0.5 and try it - you'll need MORE watts for LOWER ohms, but it's really just your preference which coil type you like better. Personally, I vape 0.5 ohms in the range of 20-30 watts, but some folks like it higher. You can also play with the airflow to effect the way it vapes - usually, higher power (lower ohms) needs more airflow.

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
Wow! I'm so glad I joined this forum. Great advice I'm getting from you all. I know there's a lot to learn about vaping and I'm tryin to educate myself as much as possible. Thanks to everyone that took time to answer my question. I think I may go ahead and order the kangertech I mentioned above. I'll come back and post when I receive it and get some help on setting it up if needed. Thanks again!

Reactions: Falconeer

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
When looking for a battery for your mod, from a safety standpoint, what is important is the battery Amp/CDR (continuous discharge rating).

For a regulated mod, in VW mode, you calculate the max current draw as Max Amps = Max Wattage / Min Battery Voltage. Min battery voltage is usually calculated using 3.2 volts (this is the point your mod will no longer fire).

So with the Kanger Subox Max Amps = 50 watts/3.2 volts = 15.625 Amps. A 20A CDR batteries will allow you to operate safely through the whole range of wattage/voltage of your devise.

• AW 3000 mAh 20A CDR
The mAh stands for milli-Ampere-hours and indicates how much electric charge the battery can provide. For example, if you discharge your battery through a circuit that requires 1 milli-Ampere of current it will last 2500 hours before the battery runs down (if the mAh of your battery is 2500). The higher the mAh, the longer your battery will last before it needs charging.

I think the 1.2Ω coil has smaller juice holes on the side of the coil. This would make the coil better for MTL.

Theoretically you could run either of those coils at 50 watts and not have a problem with a 20A CDR battery (as listed above).

However, if you were to run those coils at 50 watts you will get "dry hits" (especially the 1.2Ω coil), where the juice cannot be fed fast enough to keep up with the power being applied to them.

When you first get a new coil, prime the coil by dropping 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base, fill the tank and screw the base back onto the tank. Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Turn your voltage/wattage down, take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If your vape starts to taste burnt, dial it back down.

Kangertech suggested operating range for their OCC coils. These are not "hard" numbers. You can vape "lower/higher" if you want.

Horizontal OCC Coils
0.5 Ω coils - 15 watts to 30 watts. -- I run mine at 40-45 watts using 50/50 juice

Vertical OCC Coils
Very useful info. Sums up a lot! Thanks!

Reactions: Susan~S

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
If you're getting along well with the Subtank Nano; the Subox would be a great starting place for you.

Safe. On the side of the OCC coil heads they will tell youba safe vaping range.. If memory serves the vaping high end is 30 of 35 watts.

When you get the starter kit you will have to prime thf coils by adding s few drops of ejuice to the coil heads.

NEVER start vaping without saturating the cotton with ejuice because burning cotton tastes nasty

• AW 3000 mAh 20A CDR

Horizontal OCC Coils

Vertical OCC Coils
I noticed you said horizontal occ coils 0.5ohms 15-30 watts and you run yours at 40-45 watts...so you can run it higher than what's stated and that's ok to do?

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015
Watching YouTube videos really helped me figure a lot of things out when I first started. Began on a crappy pen and have graduated to a 60w regulated box sub ohming all day
I think I will start looking into some videos too as sometimes I can grasp something a little better by watching rather than reading lol
Thanks

vigga256

Nov 29, 2015

• AW 3000 mAh 20A CDR

Horizontal OCC Coils

Vertical OCC Coils
Can you run a 30A battery?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I noticed you said horizontal occ coils 0.5ohms 15-30 watts and you run yours at 40-45 watts...so you can run it higher than what's stated and that's ok to do?
Yes. The recommended ranges are just suggested by Kanger as guidelines. They have nothing to do with safety. If I was running e-liquid/juice with higher VG (I am using 50% VG) I would probably not be able to run that high due to "dry hits".
I think I will start looking into some videos too as sometimes I can grasp something a little better by watching rather than reading
Here's one for you: Kanger Subox Mini Kit - Tank & Battery
Can you run a 30A battery?
Yes. You can always run a high amp cell (i.e. battery).

A little more about manufacturers. There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. So, in order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

* (AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW.) AW is a well respected re-wrap reseller.

Efest, MOJO, AWT, Basen, Eizfan, IMRen, Sub-ohm Cell, Vamped, Vappower are all re-wrap resellers that are buying these "second and/or third tier cells" (sometime referred to as "B & C bin discards"). They print the "pulse discharge rating" on the label and pass it off as their CDR (continuous discharge rating). They often charge double what the authentic is worth. Unless you know what you are getting, stay away from these brands as you never know what is under the wrapper.

If you are interested in learning more about batteries check out some of the blogs by two of ECF's battery/safety experts, Baditude and Mooch.

Here are links to some of @Mooch's blogs:
And a couple from @Baditude
  • Battery Basics for Mods - The Ultimate Battery Guide
    Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
  • Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
    A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.
BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread