New to vaping, too much throat hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired soldier

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2012
Wyoming
I first tried vaping 3 weeks ago, KGO starter kit, and it went well, however I was just recovering from abdominal surgery, and it was not the best time to start, so I was vaping and smoking. Now that I am pretty well recovered, I find that the throat hit is just too much to take no matter what flavors I try. I cough every time, and that is not so good after my surgery. So far all my juices are from one source, no breakdown of VG/PG is given. I am 77, and have been smoking since I was 13, and would really like to get off the smokes, but if I can't vape without the congestion and coughing I don't think this is going to work. I have looked in at Backwoods brew, and Copper Creek and I can pick my own VG/PG ratio, but I don't have a clue as to what ratio might help. I now have a Provari and have tried lowering the voltage a bit, and am using both single and dual tanks, but so far it hasn't helped. any ideas about decreasing the throat hit (actually more like lung hit to me) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

alphanumeric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Orange County
I'd switch to a vendor that gives you the ratios of the stuff theyre mixing. They'll obviously give you a nic content % as well.

Lowering the voltage on the provari might help a little, but at a certain point, you wont really be able to taste the liquid.

Im sure lowering the nic level would be your best best.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
First think I'd check is if you're inhaling like a cigarette or puffing. I had the same problem at first until I realized that you don't inhale an ecig like you would a cigarette. Try taking a pull into your mouth like you were puffing a cigar, then inhale it. It cools a bit and doesn't hit the back of your throat nearly as much.

The ironic thing is that most of the nicotine absorption occurs in your mouth tissues anyway! We inhale because we like the warm lung hit, but if you just puff and hold it you'll get a pretty good nicotine rush too. Good luck!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 15%
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. I vape 70/ 30 PG/ VG.
TH is dependent on the PG which enhances TH and the nicotine/ mg level. You may also want to use a higher ohms cartomizer if you're getting too much TH. Lower res cartomizers (1.7- 2.0 ohms) give a warmer vape. Higher res cartos gives a cooler/ smoother vape.
Realize also vaping dehydrates and can ruin the vape experience. The PG and VG traps the moisture in our throats and mouth and thus the vapor. I drink at least 1 1/2 liters water per day. More than 3 cups java can also add to the dehydration.

Last edited:

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Keep in mind that while it's more common for there to be an allergic reaction (in a very tiny percentage of people) to PG...VG can frequently cause breathing issues with people who are susceptible. Not an "allergy" per se...but a sensitivity in the tissues to the VG. PG will enhance the TH and flavor while the VG helps produce more and thicker vapor. For a long time I avoided VG because it caused my sinuses to become irritated and I'd get a feeling of things getting coated in there...I was coughing all the time. But everyone is different. I've managed to work up to being able to use a 85/15 PGVG mix now without trouble...but then, I'm vaping very a very low 5mg juice. Higher nicotine levels can cause irritation and coughing, too. That "too much TH" feeling. My husband was trying to use e-cigs for months without much success because of the coughing. He was trying to use a 24 mg. juice...and was using a PV that ran around 4.2 volts. When we got him to go no higher than 18mg (usually around 12mg) and got a variable voltage battery so he could adjust his volts down as needed he stopped coughing and did much better. He usually vapes at around 3.8 now.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The resistance of the atomizer coil is also a factor. Voltage and resistance combinations equate to wattage, which equates to throat hit, flavor, and warmth in the vapor.

On a Provari, the best starting point is at 3 ohms and 3.7v. Some like it hotter and will crank the voltage as high as 5 volts. I'd start at 3.7v and move up and down to suit.

You can use 2 ohm cartos at 3.3v to 3.7v and get a good vape. Dual coils need lower voltage, also. You might want to try mixes of PG and VG as was said up topic. 70/30 pg/vg is a good starting point. Your tolerance for throat hit will adjust over time. There was a time when 100% PG killed my throat. Now, I vape 100% PG all day.

Remember when your first cigarettes burned your throat and sent you into a coughing fit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread