New to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trakz

Sep 4, 2015
Hello,

I just recently picked up a starter kit vape (I honestly can't remember what kind it is) but the case I picked up says ego on it. The very helpful store I bought it from recommended I start with it. It seems to be pretty nice so far. Although,I do have a few questions. I'm hoping to use it to quit smoking and well that is going horribly. He recommended I start with an 18mg sweet tobacco. It's not bad but I don't feel like I'm getting enough nicotine so I ordered a 24mg Bold tobacco flavor and a couple fruit flavors and currently letting them steep. My problem is I still want cigarettes and I'm sure that craving doesn't go away just like that. I was curious as to if anyone here has any tips on how to make the transition? It's not as easy as just don't buy any. I wish it was but the willpower is weak with this one :)

I was looking on the site and maybe I overlooked it but what is the best method to clean them with? I found so many different ways online but I'm not really sure which to use. I ordered my flavors from VistaVapors which I read several good reviews about but would love to hear about other sites that you all have a good experience about!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
When you are craving a cigarette, pick up your eGo and chain vape the heck out of it for 10-15 minutes. If you still crave a smoke have ONE, and don't feel guilty. The next time you get a craving repeat the process. You'll be amazed how soon you'll stop wanting the cig after a bit of chain vaping.

The beginning is the toughest time as smoking was so easy and familiar. Vaping, take long, slow, gentle drags on your PV, you'll get more vapor and more nicotine.

Stick with it and you'll be successful, stick around ECF and you'll get lots of help.

p.s. Welcome to ECF!! Congrats on quitting...:toast:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @Trakz and welcome to the forum.

First, for shopping I'd check out the Deals page, around holidays they usually have some really nice sales :
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Vape isn't a magic wand. Since you have the desire then you're half way there. It took me 12 days of dual use (cigs and vape) to go 100% vape. It happened when I finally found my proper nic level, and then it was about 3 days of reminding myself from time to time I don't smoke any more.

When I was trying to quit I used a cheap clearomizer/tank with the next higher nic in it. When the "itch" got to where the regular vape wasn't scratching it I would hit the higher nicotine tank once and go back to the regular nic vape. It usually took from 3 days to a week to get adjusted to the lower nicotine level. I said usually because I used this same technique to reduce my nicotine content in steps from the high level down to the under 3mg I now enjoy.

I kept one flavor of juice just for the mornings. Instead of reaching for the cig in the mornings I knew I had the one flavor juice I enjoyed waiting on me (a blueberry muffin type). After the morning vape I would not use this flavor for the rest of the day. What this did was to give me something to look forward to every morning instead of the cig.

You'll find triggers, like after meals or first thing in the morning and sometimes you just have to vape through them. In reality they don't last long, but they can occur frequently.

I use vodka to clean my tanks when they need a good cleaning. It evaporates. I don't use rubbing alcohol because I don't want to chance any residue. In between good cleanings I just rinse them out with tap water (though distilled water @99cents a gallon would probably be better). You don't want to "clean " the coils, it's not a place you want water. When I change flavors I just clean the tank and then vape through the residue of the last flavor juice for 5 or 6 vapes.

You can do this, you're halfway there already. Don't be shy about asking any questions you may have, there are many here to help.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Hello Trakz and welcome to the forums!!!! Here is my transition. I started using my ecig by alternating between smoke and vape only after work while at work I was still smoking analogs starting at the end of July 2014. I slowly started to notice that I liked the flavor better from my e-cig. So, I then started to switch it up at work. While I normally had 2 smokes during the first break, I would smoke half and put it out. Then I would vape for a few minutes and then finish the other half after that making it 1 smoke and one vape instead of 2 smokes. During my lunch break I would do the same but had more time so I did 2 smokes and one vape instead of 3.

Fastforward, from the end of July to November 11th 2014, it got easier and easier to do more vaping than smoking as I cut back every day by a little bit. I personally did not really find any flavor that I liked but remembered that the very first try on a cig-a-like was unflavored so I ran a search and found out that myfreedomsmokes.com had it (24mg 75pg/25vg for a good throat hit if that's what he likes about smoking) in stock and for a very reasonable price. By slowly transitioning, it made my smokes taste worse with each one I smoked. Took me about 3 and a half months before I exclusively went to vaping. I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 28 years and do not even think about going back to them as now even the smell of them I do not like and I stay up wind from any smokers during our breaks.

Also, I can tell of a story about my dad. He smoked 2-3 packs a day and when I told him in September to get Unflavored so when he stays in hotels, as my parents travel a lot, he would be able to vape inside instead of going out to smoke. Only thing he asked is if he can still smoke while vaping. I told him yes as I knew that after time, they would taste bad to him. Fast forward to now, he has cut back from 2-3 packs to about only 2 cigs a day without even trying to quit smoking.

So, with that said, everyone is different and take time to find out what works for them. When they do, that bright light shines and everything is golden!!! Vape on!!:vapor:

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
Hello,

I just recently picked up a starter kit vape (I honestly can't remember what kind it is) but the case I picked up says ego on it. The very helpful store I bought it from recommended I start with it. It seems to be pretty nice so far. Although,I do have a few questions. I'm hoping to use it to quit smoking and well that is going horribly. He recommended I start with an 18mg sweet tobacco. It's not bad but I don't feel like I'm getting enough nicotine so I ordered a 24mg Bold Tobacco flavor and a couple fruit flavors and currently letting them steep. My problem is I still want cigarettes and I'm sure that craving doesn't go away just like that. I was curious as to if anyone here has any tips on how to make the transition? It's not as easy as just don't buy any. I wish it was but the willpower is weak with this one :)

I was looking on the site and maybe I overlooked it but what is the best method to clean them with? I found so many different ways online but I'm not really sure which to use. I ordered my flavors from VistaVapors which I read several good reviews about but would love to hear about other sites that you all have a good experience about!
You're new to vaping and you're steeping your juice? Who told you to steep it? I'd be using these new juices asap and to hell with the steeping it if your current juice isn't cutting it. I don't agree with the whole steeping thing and think it's a complete waste of time but that's just me.

Reactions: Stosh

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Figure on consuming at least 2 - 3 ml of liquid daily. Bottles are usually 10 or 30 ml volume.

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
E-liquid generally has concentrated nicotine, propylene glycol (Pg), vegetable glycerin (Vg) and flavoring extracts.
The ratio of Pg to Vg is known as the pg/vg ratio, and a 50/50 blend is common.

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin in consistancy.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick in consistancy.

Tips for Novices Seeking Tobacco/Cigarette Flavors

A Word on Vaping Technique

Vaper's Tongue: What is it and what can be done?

I was a pack per day smoker for over 30 years. Couldn't quit with the gum, patches, prescriptions, or hypnosis. On a whim I purchased a disposable e-cig at the convenience store, decided it was not too bad, and went home to do some research.

I found ECF and soaked up as much info as I could. Learned the terminology, the different kinds of setups, about e-liquid, et al. Despite some mixed comments, I chose a cigalike starter kit. I chose a particular week to be my final week to make the transition, with one pack of cigs to last the week. I vaped as much as I pleased, and when I got a cigarette craving, smoked HALF of a cigarette. Put it out and saved the rest for the next craving. Those second half cigs tasted pretty bad, but that helped me to quit. I developed a taste for the ecig and a distaste for the cigarettes. By the end of the week, that last pack was spent, and so was my desire for cigarettes.

Within a month I upgraded my setup to a mod and a much better tank. I've been smoke-free for over 3 years.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner

Guide to Juice Delivery Attachments

Reactions: Ablonz

Trakz

Sep 4, 2015
Hello @Trakz and welcome to the forum.

First, for shopping I'd check out the Deals page, around holidays they usually have some really nice sales :
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Vape isn't a magic wand. Since you have the desire then you're half way there. It took me 12 days of dual use (cigs and vape) to go 100% vape. It happened when I finally found my proper nic level, and then it was about 3 days of reminding myself from time to time I don't smoke any more.

When I was trying to quit I used a cheap clearomizer/tank with the next higher nic in it. When the "itch" got to where the regular vape wasn't scratching it I would hit the higher nicotine tank once and go back to the regular nic vape. It usually took from 3 days to a week to get adjusted to the lower nicotine level. I said usually because I used this same technique to reduce my nicotine content in steps from the high level down to the under 3mg I now enjoy.

I kept one flavor of juice just for the mornings. Instead of reaching for the cig in the mornings I knew I had the one flavor juice I enjoyed waiting on me (a blueberry muffin type). After the morning vape I would not use this flavor for the rest of the day. What this did was to give me something to look forward to every morning instead of the cig.

You'll find triggers, like after meals or first thing in the morning and sometimes you just have to vape through them. In reality they don't last long, but they can occur frequently.

I use vodka to clean my tanks when they need a good cleaning. It evaporates. I don't use rubbing alcohol because I don't want to chance any residue. In between good cleanings I just rinse them out with tap water (though distilled water @99cents a gallon would probably be better). You don't want to "clean " the coils, it's not a place you want water. When I change flavors I just clean the tank and then vape through the residue of the last flavor juice for 5 or 6 vapes.

You can do this, you're halfway there already. Don't be shy about asking any questions you may have, there are many here to help.

That's a pretty good idea to switch the tanks out! I also like the idea of having one flavor just for the mornings. During work hours the vape is pretty easy. I'm forced to only be able to smoke for 10 minutes and then I can't for 2 more hours. So during work hours it's real easy to only bring 2-3 smokes with me just in case the craving gets too bad. Which I really need to not bring any but I like the idea of knowing that I'm vaping by choice and not by force.

Trakz

Sep 4, 2015
Hello Trakz and welcome to the forums!!!! Here is my transition. I started using my ecig by alternating between smoke and vape only after work while at work I was still smoking analogs starting at the end of July 2014. I slowly started to notice that I liked the flavor better from my e-cig. So, I then started to switch it up at work. While I normally had 2 smokes during the first break, I would smoke half and put it out. Then I would vape for a few minutes and then finish the other half after that making it 1 smoke and one vape instead of 2 smokes. During my lunch break I would do the same but had more time so I did 2 smokes and one vape instead of 3.

Fastforward, from the end of July to November 11th 2014, it got easier and easier to do more vaping than smoking as I cut back every day by a little bit. I personally did not really find any flavor that I liked but remembered that the very first try on a cig-a-like was unflavored so I ran a search and found out that myfreedomsmokes.com had it (24mg 75pg/25vg for a good throat hit if that's what he likes about smoking) in stock and for a very reasonable price. By slowly transitioning, it made my smokes taste worse with each one I smoked. Took me about 3 and a half months before I exclusively went to vaping. I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 28 years and do not even think about going back to them as now even the smell of them I do not like and I stay up wind from any smokers during our breaks.

Also, I can tell of a story about my dad. He smoked 2-3 packs a day and when I told him in September to get Unflavored so when he stays in hotels, as my parents travel a lot, he would be able to vape inside instead of going out to smoke. Only thing he asked is if he can still smoke while vaping. I told him yes as I knew that after time, they would taste bad to him. Fast forward to now, he has cut back from 2-3 packs to about only 2 cigs a day without even trying to quit smoking.

So, with that said, everyone is different and take time to find out what works for them. When they do, that bright light shines and everything is golden!!! Vape on!!:vapor:

Thanks!

That is awesome! I can't wait to get down to where I just want to vape and not smoke

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Pappcam: When I ordered my 24mg ejuice they sent me an email that said to steep my juice because they literally make them per order. In the email it said the juices may need a little extra time to mix properly. I don't really know if it's something that is needed or not,I just know after that I read in several places steeping does help

Fresh made juices will improve in time. Fruits a week, creams and bakery two weeks and tobaccos a month is the "general" rule. Most will be comfortably vapeable before then, it's just a guideline.

Trakz

Sep 4, 2015
For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Figure on consuming at least 2 - 3 ml of liquid daily. Bottles are usually 10 or 30 ml volume.

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
E-liquid generally has concentrated nicotine, propylene glycol (Pg), vegetable glycerin (Vg) and flavoring extracts.
The ratio of Pg to Vg is known as the pg/vg ratio, and a 50/50 blend is common.

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin in consistancy.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick in consistancy.

Tips for Novices Seeking Tobacco/Cigarette Flavors

A Word on Vaping Technique

Vaper's Tongue: What is it and what can be done?

I was a pack per day smoker for over 30 years. Couldn't quit with the gum, patches, prescriptions, or hypnosis. On a whim I purchased a disposable e-cig at the convenience store, decided it was not too bad, and went home to do some research.

I found ECF and soaked up as much info as I could. Learned the terminology, the different kinds of setups, about e-liquid, et al. Despite some mixed comments, I chose a cigalike starter kit. I chose a particular week to be my final week to make the transition, with one pack of cigs to last the week. I vaped as much as I pleased, and when I got a cigarette craving, smoked HALF of a cigarette. Put it out and saved the rest for the next craving. Those second half cigs tasted pretty bad, but that helped me to quit. I developed a taste for the ecig and a distaste for the cigarettes. By the end of the week, that last pack was spent, and so was my desire for cigarettes.

Within a month I upgraded my setup to a mod and a much better tank. I've been smoke-free for over 3 years.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner

Guide to Juice Delivery Attachments

Thanks for all the info! I had no idea what all the terminology meant. I just knew about the different levels of nicotine and that's about it. The guy at the smokeshop where I initially bought my ecig todl me but I had no understanding whatsoever. Maybe I should try that. Only smoking half a cigarette and see what that does for me.

Reactions: Baditude

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Pappcam: When I ordered my 24mg ejuice they sent me an email that said to steep my juice because they literally make them per order. In the email it said the juices may need a little extra time to mix properly. I don't really know if it's something that is needed or not,I just know after that I read in several places steeping does help

I make my own ejuice, and vape it as soon as it's mixed and shaken sufficiently. Doesn't even have the shipping time to steep.

Steeping may improve some ejuice, make others worse...it's a bit trial and error. Vape a little of it when you get it, and see if there is a change YOU like after it steeps for awhile.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Hello,

I started with a ego @18mg too, I was dual using for the first two weeks (Smoking and Vaping) Then switched over to just vaping, it took a while at first but it kinda came down to this, I counted how many puffs I would take from a stinky then when I would vape I would take about half as many as the smoke and some random ones when in between... When first switching I think its really important to preemptively attack your cravings, even if you aren't craving a cigarette take a few puffs here and there, don't bother waiting for the craving, I didn't start with tobacco flavors though and have never vaped them, every new flavor I bought was like a treat so basically I was treating myself for quitting smoking.

Reactions: Stosh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread