New to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudragni

Jun 21, 2017
Hello all. I'm not new to vaping, but I'm no seasoned pro either. For about the last year I have been getting more and more involved in building coils and in the last few months I've been focused on TC.
I'm currently running the Invader Mini with the Dark Horse rda. My coil is a spaced 14 wraps of 26ga nickel coming in at .14 Ohm. I have my temp set at 500°F @ 30W.
I'm still working on finding the best coil for flavor/vapor.
Thanks for having me.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
First: Get off the low ohms bandwagon.

You should stick to 0.2 ohms at an absolute minimum and higher. Under 0.2, you can end up putting your batteries at risk, and it absolutely does not make anything "better".

With proper builds and balanced settings, you can get great results at a safer ohm range.

To get a "best" combination, this is a personal thing, but the beauty of TC is that you can achieve it much easier than wattage mode as you can "fine tune" your preferences.

Do a 0.3 - 0.4 ohm build instead, set your wattage at a low setting (and 30-40W is fine), and then start at around 340F, and try it out...

Then increase the temp bit by bit and test it out.

If you find the ramp up too slow (how fast it reaches that temp.) increase the wattage a little bit at a time.

You should consider switching to Stainless Steel also.

Check my blog out for more info.

Rudragni

Jun 21, 2017
First: Get off the low ohms bandwagon.

You should stick to 0.2 ohms at an absolute minimum and higher. Under 0.2, you can end up putting your batteries at risk, and it absolutely does not make anything "better".

With proper builds and balanced settings, you can get great results at a safer ohm range.

To get a "best" combination, this is a personal thing, but the beauty of TC is that you can achieve it much easier than wattage mode as you can "fine tune" your preferences.

Do a 0.3 - 0.4 ohm build instead, set your wattage at a low setting (and 30-40W is fine), and then start at around 340F, and try it out...

Then increase the temp bit by bit and test it out.

If you find the ramp up too slow (how fast it reaches that temp.) increase the wattage a little bit at a time.

You should consider switching to Stainless Steel also.

Check my blog out for more info.

For some reason my chip is not reading ss very well (though it is designed to). That's why I've been playing with nickel. I was using the ss Notch coil. I've been trying to build higher, but nickel seems to build super low. Any ideas on good single wire nickel builds?

Reactions: Opinionated

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
For some reason my chip is not reading ss very well (though it is designed to). That's why I've been playing with nickel. I was using the ss Notch coil. I've been trying to build higher, but nickel seems to build super low. Any ideas on good single wire nickel builds?

For a single, you're kinda stuck having to make a large coil, try and switch to 28 gauge if you can.

For SS troubles, check my blog, I explain in it that for single coils to be read well, you need to have a certain amount of wire mass for it to register well. As you are going with TC, stop aiming for the low ohms as much, and concentrate on the coil built instead.

I've been building with SS on my Lemo2 (or my OBS Ace RBA) now and since I found the "fault" (as I had trouble with it also until I figured it out), I now aim at putting in the largest coil that I can fit on the deck and TC is working perfectly.

I stick to 28 or 26 gauge for SS for the best results. (for NI, I've mostly use 28 gauge, but for very small decks, I've used 30 gauge)

But since I've started using SS (and have it work correctly), I almost never us NI now.

Reactions: Opinionated

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
And also, the more wire and better balanced approach you take, the more vapor you can make...

Vapor production is better with more wire surface (so thinner wire is better, to an extent).

At this time, the best results I get is with 26gauge SS, and with dual coil decks.

Note that the tank (RTA) itself can make noticeable difference. The best I've got is a somewhat tricky RTA, (a K24), dual SS coils, 26 gauge, right now at 0.5ohm, 45W and 290F. Three puffs and the living room is fogged up, BUT for flavour, this RTA is the best I've ever used.

Reactions: Rudragni

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello all. I'm not new to vaping, but I'm no seasoned pro either. For about the last year I have been getting more and more involved in building coils and in the last few months I've been focused on TC.
I'm currently running the Invader Mini with the Dark Horse RDA. My coil is a spaced 14 wraps of 26ga nickel coming in at .14 Ohm. I have my temp set at 500°F @ 30W.
I'm still working on finding the best coil for flavor/vapor.
Thanks for having me.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Looks like your set up is top of the line, good show.
Might like to read:
Temp Controlled Vaping Rocks

Reactions: Rudragni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread