Status
Not open for further replies.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I just bought a V5 this past week and I have a few questions about it. I got what's marked on the box as stainless steel but its rather shiny. I thought that the finish on the Stainless version was more of a brushed finish. Did I get a chrome version instead?

I watched the long video about the Vamo on YouTube. I can't seem to get the magic menu for switching between average and RMS to appear, no matter how long I press the left (-) button. But when I fire it the display shows "RMS 2.1A" on the top and a picture of a battery and "120" (which increases, so I'm assuming that's a puff count) on the bottom. Does this mean I've got the Vamo in the correct mode?

Can it be used with 18500 batteries or just 18350 in the short configuration? I ask because I have some 18500 batteries but no 18350. For those who've used the smaller batteries, do you think the size and weight reduction is worthwhile enough that I should consider getting a pair of 18350 batteries or just stick with the 18650 size?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
None of the things you're seeing I have seen on my Vamo V5. I have used it in both 18350 & 18650. I can't really tell a "big" difference in the weight myself. The overall length, of course is much shorter. Brings it down to about the same height, with a topper, as my Kanger EVOD 900maH. The Vamo is still a pinch taller, but only about a standard drip tip.

1544560_10151896469163201_490691985_n.jpg 1554441_10151891405468201_1817168460_n.jpg

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
You have a puff count? I've never heard of that on vamos. You want to be in rms mode anyways. Seems to me like you have a model with different software.
What do you folks see on the display when you fire?

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
I have mine set to my out put. Either shows watts or voltage depending on my mode. It can be set to resistance, battery level, or watts/volts.
Mine shows (when set to watts) "RMS 1.8A/197" when set to display current, "OUT 5.5W/198" for power, and "1.6 (ohm symbol)/199" for resistance with a partly filled battery icon next to the puff counter in every case. Did I get a clone of a clone here?

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
Just got a V5 today, and mine also shows a battery icon and what you guys are saying is a puff counter when I hit the fire-button with it set to show the power. Also, it does not have the RMS/AVG option. It is apparently RMS only, which is fine by me, as I never used my old Vamo in AVG mode.

One other difference from every V5 that I've seen in all of the review videos, is that when you turn it on/off, it says "Hello" before the "System: On/Off" scrolls. I purchased this off eBay from a vape vendor out of Florida. I can look up the name, if it matters. But it came in the same box and had the same paperwork as all of the videos Ive seen on the V5.

As for the battery icon, I'm not sure if it will actually show the icon decrease as the battery charge decreases or not. All of my batteries are full at the moment.

Also, the top cap does come off on mine, just like every other V5 I've seen, so I can't comment on the one poster who said his does not.

Here are some pics: (Sorry for the quality. The battery is almost dead on my phone so the flash won't work.)

wPfZhXq.jpg

In voltage mode:

QnxFLGE.jpg

In wattage mode:

iPJNEWF.jpg

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
That is a lot different than the one I bought from SmokTek on Jan. 22nd. You might try holding down the + button past the ohm reading and see if it goes in to continuous mode. Don't put on anything when you do it as it fires continuously while in this mode. I guess it is for charging say a cell phone off of it. At any rate to stop turn it off then turn it back on. Last but not least is the screen looks like the LED display and not the OLED that they have now.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
That's a match with mine, also gotten from eBay but from a seller in Brooklyn (although it was shipped from Northern NJ). The battery icon does change as the charge drops. It does not do either the continuous mode off the + button nor the avg/rms off the - button. Perhaps this is actually a V2 but with a top cap like the V5?

I'll have to look at that long half hour review video to see if he ever shows the display because I'd describe mine as traditional LED not OLED if that's what V5s actually have.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
That is a lot different than the one I bought from SmokTek on Jan. 22nd. You might try holding down the + button past the ohm reading and see if it goes in to continuous mode. Don't put on anything when you do it as it fires continuously while in this mode. I guess it is for charging say a cell phone off of it. At any rate to stop turn it off then turn it back on. Last but not least is the screen looks like the LED display and not the OLED that they have now.

I don't have the continuous mode. I tried holding both buttons down to get to the RMS/AVG option, before I figured out that mine doesn't have it.

As for the screen, I'm not sure if the pics are very indicative, since they're pretty crappy. But in person, it looks like all the screens in the V5 videos I've seen so far. I tried Googling, but couldn't find what a LED screen looks like on these things, so I could compare.

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
That's a match with mine, also gotten from eBay but from a seller in Brooklyn (although it was shipped from Northern NJ). The battery icon does change as the charge drops. It does not do either the continuous mode off the + button nor the avg/rms off the - button. Perhaps this is actually a V2 but with a top cap like the V5?

I don't think that's the case. I just looked up videos of the V2, and it has the same LCD screen as my old Vamo. Like this:

vamo_LCD_zpse191ca51.png

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
The ones from FastTech are $32 and I just didn't want to wait for Chinese New Year to end and then another 2 weeks to get here. So I spent $42 on eBay. I'm not will to pay almost double from SmokTek, not to be confused with SmokTech (although I think they're using just Smok now).

I can understand wanting to save money. I didn't buy a Provari and for that money got both the VAMO V5 and a Limbo 6 as a second. However you have to be sure you get what you pay for also. In your case I'm thinking you didn't get a Vamo 5 but an earlier version. I purchased a IGO-W from ebay saying it was the current version and it turns out it is the one with the small single hole instead of the double air hole. It cost me as much to buy the newer top piece with the 2 holes.

Now as for what you got since it doesn't have the option for putting it into mode 1 or 2 it isn't a V2. I would look at the v3 perhaps since I think the v4 had a swirl pattern cut into the body. Also you cap around the connection is straight sided while the V5 has an angled edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread