New Vaper, Battery Safety/Ohms Law Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abezii

Jan 22, 2017
Are the following calculated values safe for the LG HE2 18650 2500 mAH 20AMP battery, 0.29 Ohms, 15 Amps, 65.25 Watts, 4.35V . I'm concerned/confused because the calculated voltage is 4.35V but the battery ratings say the charge ranges from 3.7-4.2V. I input my desired amps and the ohms into a calculator, I'm just confused because the calculated volt value isn't in the range for what the battery can hold? Basically for future reference if I use a calculator, with known ohms and amp or watt values, is it safe if the volt value I calculate exceeds the maximum volt capacity of the batter, since most stop at 4.2V

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
A regulated mods chip enables it to deliver more than the maximum 4.2 volts in the battery by boosting it. Also this voltage is on the atomizer side of the chip, which is separate and distinct from the battery side of the device. The bottom line is that you don't need to concern yourself with the voltage on the atomizer side, the mod takes care of this for you.
What you do need to concern yourself with is the amperage drawn from the battery side determined by the wattage you dial in, and the remaining voltage in the battery. Counter-intuitively the amp draw will be at it's highest when the battery is nearly discharged. For example your 65 watts is drawing more like 17 amps with a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts, and 21 amps when discharged at around 3.4 volts.

Have a read of this article.

Abezii

Jan 22, 2017
A regulated mods chip enables it to deliver more than the maximum 4.2 volts in the battery by boosting it. Also this voltage is on the atomizer side of the chip, which is separate and distinct from the battery side of the device. The bottom line is that you don't need to concern yourself with the voltage on the atomizer side, the mod takes care of this for you.
What you do need to concern yourself with is the amperage drawn from the battery side determined by the wattage you dial in, and the remaining voltage in the battery. Counter-intuitively the amp draw will be at it's highest when the battery is nearly discharged. For example your 65 watts is drawing more like 17 amps with a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts, and 21 amps when discharged at around 3.4 volts.

Have a read of this article.
I believe I am on a regulated device then, kanger dripbox 160. I just recently kind of learned that since it uses two batteries I could maybe push the wattage up even more is that correct, based on the article you linked?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Yes. Up to 120 watts with those batteries. You could go higher but you would be stressing them and reducing their lifespan.
"With multi battery devices, simply calculate the amp draw then divide by the number of batteries."

65w divided by 4.2v equals 11.9 divided by 0.9 = 17 amps divided by 2 = 8.5 amps per battery
65w divided by 3.4v equals 15.6 divided by 0.9 = 21 amps divided by 2 = 10.5 amps per battery

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Regulated devices don't care so much what build you put in them as long as they can handle the load. They do all have a sweat spot where the board is at maximum efficiency thou. 20w is 20w regardless of the ohm of the coil. Remember, there is no need to build really low. If you want more power just turn it up.
Yes, different loads will affect flavor even at the same wattage. Even different wire gauges at the same ohm load will affect flavor. A 22ga coil at .2ohms will not taste the same as a 28ga at .2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread