New vaper here ! Need tank and mod advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
Hi everyone ! I am new vapester !
This is my story with vaping so far:

I have quit smoking cigarettes (20-30/day) a little over a week ago by taking the plunge into the vape world with the cheapest option I could find - the Joyetech Ego AIO.
I started out with the 0.6Ω coil that came with my device, vaping a VG70/PG30 12mg Liqua Cuban Cigar juice. I had gathered a fair bit of knowledge about getting started with the AIO and I managed to make the best out of that coil for the first few days, doing MTL vaping.
After just 2 days, I found myself wanting more so I just jumped over to DL vaping all of a sudden, which was quite a pain with the 12mg and 0.6Ω coil. I then went out to my local vape shop and got a 0.5Ω coil and a 50/50 6mg juice, hoping to get more vape out of the AIO.
With the .5, I was getting very bad spitback almost every time I'd let the AIO down for more than 5 minutes, even with the spiral drip tip. I find it a pain to have to take off the drip tip and wipe the excess that collects underneath, then take out the coil and shake off the excess in order to stop the spitback.
I am enjoying the quantity of the vape with the .5 coil, but there's less flavour...

So now, as 11.11 is coming up and I've got a few coupons for Aliexpress, I was looking for a better alternative that can get me deeper into vaping.
I am looking to spend no more than $60 for the kit, but this is what I had in mind -

Option 1 - Eleaf iStick Pico Kit (with Melo III Mini tank)
Option 2 - Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini Mod + a good tank
Option 3 - Smok H-Priv Mini Kit (with Brit Beast tank)

I am most inclined to go with option 2 because I have read and watched many great reviews of very satisfied customers with these products. Also considering a smok tank to go with the VTwo - tfv4 micro / tfv8 baby beast / brit tank. The mod comes packaged with either the Tron S or Cubis Pro tanks, but I've read that they only perform consistently well for MTL, so this is why I would only be getting the mod itself.
What I want out of this setup - a decent amount of good flavoured vape out of an easy to fill tank that won't give me spitting, gurgling, flooding, but will give me long lasting coils. I also want to get into building coils since I have discovered a very nice build which has been deemed as a very good performer - The Stove Top Coil = +
It is also good to mention that I understand that more vapour = more nicotine, so I will go for a thicker 3mg juice next time I make a visit to my vape store.

What tank + coils combo would you guys & girls recommend for the eVic VTwo Mini Mod? What other recommendations would you make ?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I've been playing with a Cubis tank today, it's just "Meh". I like that it's virtually leak proof, but the flavor hasn't done anything to impress me.
I'm liking the Aspire Triton 2 much better for flavor for a tank with replaceable coils.
Now for the really bad news. I'm assuming you are new to rebuilding?
These coils are TEENY! I mean really small! Very difficult to rebuild and would be, in my opinion, very frustrating for someone new to building to do.
Then the stovetop coil is difficult in itself. So trying to do a teeny tiny stovetop for a first build? I'd strongly suggest setting you goals a bit lower.
Maybe buy an RDA, a dripping atomizer, and try playing with different builds on it, at your own pace, to get the principles down, then consider trying it on the replacement coil heads.
I'm really not trying to discourage you, but I think you are starting off with two very difficult things in one build and you'll get frustrated! Next time you change a coil, or if you have an old one lying around, open it up and see how fiddly they are to get apart and back together. I think, or at least hope, you'll have an idea what I'm trying to explain.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
I've been playing with a Cubis tank today, it's just "Meh". I like that it's virtually leak proof, but the flavor hasn't done anything to impress me.
I'm liking the Aspire Triton 2 much better for flavor for a tank with replaceable coils.
Now for the really bad news. I'm assuming you are new to rebuilding?
These coils are TEENY! I mean really small! Very difficult to rebuild and would be, in my opinion, very frustrating for someone new to building to do.
Then the stovetop coil is difficult in itself. So trying to do a teeny tiny stovetop for a first build? I'd strongly suggest setting you goals a bit lower.
Maybe buy an RDA, a dripping atomizer, and try playing with different builds on it, at your own pace, to get the principles down, then consider trying it on the replacement coil heads.
I'm really not trying to discourage you, but I think you are starting off with two very difficult things in one build and you'll get frustrated! Next time you change a coil, or if you have an old one lying around, open it up and see how fiddly they are to get apart and back together. I think, or at least hope, you'll have an idea what I'm trying to explain.
Thanks for your reply and advice ! Even though I am new to vaping, I've been a tinkerer most of my life and have excellent dexterity, so I am never discouraged by such tasks. :D I will build those coils some day ...

Reactions: NOVA jon

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
For your price range I'd suggest you NOT go the replaceable battery route (like the Pico) 2 batteries and a charger will add another 20 at least onto the price tag.

For tank, I think the Kanger CL 4.0 Tank is real good value.
There is a RBA for it available.

I already own a charger because I use 18650 with my bicycle headlight, and I can get high drain batteriez from a buddy of mine that has plenty of them :). I will check out the tank, thanks for the suggestion !

Reactions: 90VG

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Used batteries are not a good idea bud.
For 5-10 bucks each for new ones?
They might be okay in a pinch but dollars to donuts even your buddy won't give you his good/newest ones.

It's likely you may not know what stress and abuse those batteries have endured, or for how long. The battery is the most important part of the set-up because it's the battery that can cause you harm. Just be aware is all I'm sayin'. Cheers.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I can find no reason to recommend anything other than Option 2. It's not a fair fight though.
The Pico is great, but I don't like it for temp mode.
Smok sell interesting stuff for not much money, but the mod track record is poor and the replacement heads in those 'super' tanks are too expensive.
Now, you are also right about the Tron S and/or Cubis Pro.
The Cubis itself was disastrous. I like the Tron with the rebuildable CLR heads however.
Maybe the Evic mod with the Melo III?
If you can say 100% you don't want to TC, then the Pico/Melo combo.

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
I can find no reason to recommend anything other than Option 2. It's not a fair fight though.
The Pico is great, but I don't like it for temp mode.
Smok sell interesting stuff for not much money, but the mod track record is poor and the replacement heads in those 'super' tanks are too expensive.
Now, you are also right about the Tron S and/or Cubis Pro.
The Cubis itself was disastrous. I like the Tron with the rebuildable CLR heads however.
Maybe the Evic mod with the Melo III?
If you can say 100% you don't want to TC, then the Pico/Melo combo.

I have not looked deep into the TC world just yet, seeing though as I am a noob and all ^_^. But will surely have to, since I want to make the best thought out decision possible, due to my budget restraint.

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
Used batteries are not a good idea bud.
For 5-10 bucks each for new ones?
They might be okay in a pinch but dollars to donuts even your buddy won't give you his good/newest ones.

It's likely you may not know what stress and abuse those batteries have endured, or for how long. The battery is the most important part of the set-up because it's the battery that can cause you harm. Just be aware is all I'm sayin'. Cheers.

You're spot on on this one ! Didn't really give it much thought, at first. If I go for the mod+18650 battery, I will surely get a couple of new ones, but hey, at least I'll have a charger :D.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
You're spot on on this one ! Didn't really give it much thought, at first. If I go for the mod+18650 battery, I will surely get a couple of new ones, but hey, at least I'll have a charger :D.

I have 2 bikes lights and 2 regular flash lights and 3 vapes that I use all the time, that means I have to keep 8 batteries going, well actually 10 batteries in circulation. You might end up in 18650 land and need a 6 bay charger, haha. 6 Isn't enough here as I have another 2 bay charger also.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I am most inclined to go with option 2 because I have read and watched many great reviews of very satisfied customers with these products
Welcome and glad you joined. Your choices are all in the intermediate and advance vaping categories.
Best advice I can give is start simple and try to learn every basic part of vaping, then step up to advance ways of vape. Some folks inadvertently sell the novice advanced equipment which multiplies vaping complexities. The poor learner is flooded with too many variables and never gets the basics down pat. It helps to know what you want (which direction you want to head towards) before you make a decision you might regret after a purchase.

Reactions: medleypat

mistorvape

Nov 4, 2016
Hi again, everyone !
The 11.11 sale has ended successfully and I feel like I got some great steals out of the whole thing. But I'm also terribly tired since I have been up for the past week just researching tanks and mods and coils and wires. I've barely slept 8 hours of the last 72, but now the waiting game begins...
Since I am a new vaper and have just experienced my first time with "aroma fatigue" or "vaper's fatigue", I naturally came to the conclusion that there need to be at least 2-3 flavours in daily rotation to satisfy my nicotine craving and obsessive ways.
For $89 I managed to score all these goodies :
  1. Joyetech Evic Vtwo Mini mod
  2. UD SS316L wire - 10m/30ft roll
  3. Vaporesso Estoc 4ml tank
  4. 10pc EUC Clapton coils for the Estoc Tank
  5. Wotofo Serpent Mini RTA
  6. Aspire NX75-Z
  7. and last - a tiny bag of 10 pre-made coils, to try out (I've read they can be hit'n'miss, but I thought I'd give them a chance):
  • Flat Twisted Coil 0.2*0.8*2 Resistance 0.36ohm
  • Fused Clapton Coil 28GA*2+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm
  • Hive Coil (30GA+30GA)*2 Resistance 0.5ohm
  • Alien Coil 0.3*0.8+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm
  • Mix Twisted Coil 0.2*0.8+26GA Resistance 0.45ohm
  • Quad Coil 28GA*4 Resistance 0.36ohm
  • Tiger Coil 26GA+0.2*0.8 Resistance 0.36ohm
  • Clapton Coil 26GA+30GA Resistance 0.8ohm
  • Twisted Coil 28GA+28GA Resistance 0.6ohm
  • Juggernaut Coil (32GA+38GA)*2 Resistance 0.35ohm

I'm just missing some Miju cotton and 4 good 18650s and I'll be all set for Christmas (i hope).
Thank you for all your advice ! I am very much looking forward to start building on the Serpent Mini !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread