Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

I just created an account so that I could stop lurking and introduce myself. I have been smoking a pack of cigarettes daily for 15 years. I have attempted to quit on several occasions, and the longest I was able to make it was 3 months. The nicotine gum didn't work for me. It just tastes horrible, and the patch was no help at all. The 2 problems that are the hardest for me to overcome have been the habit of smoking, and using it as a crutch to help relieve stress.

Since I have been smoking my entire adult life, everything has always included cigarettes - having a cigarette in the morning with coffee, after a meal, taking a break from the desk at work, road trips, drinking. I could go on and on. That whole routine has seemed insurmountable to change.

Smoking has also been my go to when trying to relax, decompress, and think. Every time that I have quit, that has always been what brings me back to smoking. Something happens that causes anxiety, and at the time, the only thing that I rationalize at the moment is to buy a pack of cigarettes.

I do honestly really want to quit!!! I cannot stand smelling so horrible. I hate the stains i get on my teeth. I hate the amount of money it all costs. It really bothers me that I routinely harm my body, and probably shorten my life, and I feel powerless to change it.

That was all up until last week.

Last week I was given an EVOD battery with a T3S tank from a friend that had tried vaping and didn't enjoy it. I took it to a local Vape shop, and spoke with them quit a bit. They educated me on the vaping basics, and were all ex-smokers themselves. This was all extremely encouraging. They replaced the coil in my T3S hooked me up with a bottle of vanilla custard with 18mg nic and showed me how to use it. They informed me that the device I had was pretty much the most entry level device and encouraged me to purchase something better, but I decided that I wanted to try Vaping first and see if it was something that could help me stop smoking.

Immediately after starting to use this device, I went from smoking 20 to 4-5 daily. I am getting the nicotine that i crave. I do not smell bad, and it seems cheaper. I was super excited that I may have found the solution to keep me away from cigarettes permanently.

I found ECF over the weekend and spent almost the entire weekend reading. After a couple days of research, it seemed like the general consensus was in line with what the B&M store told me. To give myself the best opportunity to quit smoking, I needed to make a better investment in hardware. After much more reading, I chose the HW, a HW vendor, and decided on VW for my first e-juice order.

From MVS I ordered:
Kanger SUBOX Mini Starter Kit
2) LG HG2 18650
Nitecore Digicharger D2
Spare O-ring Set
5 spare coils

From VW I ordered a sample pack. Everything is 12mg 50/50:
Sweet Complexity
(S+C)2
Smurf Cake
On Cloud Custard
Vanilla Clouds
Fruity Freeze

USPS says that everything will be delivered today!

I am very excited that i feel like I finally have the upper hand on my addiction, and I think I will finally be able to give cigarettes the boot!!!

Sorry for the long winded introduction, but thanks for being here to listen! What a great community you guys have here! I am on many other forums for other topics, and haven't seen a single one that it so supportive!!

I am happy to have found you. I'm sure questions will arise, and your forum appears to be the best resource that there is!

Thanks!!!
Great start !

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I just created an account so that I could stop lurking and introduce myself. I have been smoking a pack of cigarettes daily for 15 years. I have attempted to quit on several occasions
Welcome to ECF! looks like you got yourself all set up, you aren't trying to quit smoking you already did!, just don't ahve a stinkie and vape vape vape :)

Reactions: jjatl

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Welcome my friend. Nice choice of the equipment. I would buy one more battery for sometimes we are confronted situations 2 batteries are not enough. In fact you should always keep spares of whatever you can think of (It may seem paranoiac but experience my friend)
With subtank mini please dampen your coil before first use. Even put it on the mod and after dripping liquid fire 2-3 seconds repeatedly and drip again wait until you are sure the cotton is soaked.
With RBA unit they coiled but not put cotton in it. Have 7mm cotton cut from the sample cotton round it between your fingers and pass through the coil. (You have to watch the videos of doing this.) And dont throw away the suare ones because they can be rewicked and recoiled too.
Bon voyage my friend welcome among us.

Reactions: jjatl

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Welcome my friend. Nice choice of the equipment. I would buy one more battery for sometimes we are confronted situations 2 batteries are not enough. In fact you should always keep spares of whatever you can think of (It may seem paranoiac but experience my friend)
With subtank mini please dampen your coil before first use. Even put it on the mod and after dripping liquid fire 2-3 seconds repeatedly and drip again wait until you are sure the cotton is soaked.
With RBA unit they coiled but not put cotton in it. Have 7mm cotton cut from the sample cotton round it between your fingers and pass through the coil. (You have to watch the videos of doing this.) And dont throw away the suare ones because they can be rewicked and recoiled too.
Bon voyage my friend welcome among us.

I was thinking that 2 batteries would be enough, but you're probably right. I will purchase a 3rd on my next order.

For dapening a new coil, do you mean connecting it to the Base without a tank, and connecting the base to the mod. Then you are firing it and priming it without a tank to make sure the wick is saturated? I believe this is the first that I have read of priming that way, and I want to make sure that I understand correctly before I try it.

Thanks for the great advice!

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Looks good. Let us know how it goes.

Last night on the car ride home I chain vaped almost the entire commute on the Subox. I vaped way too much with 18mg i have been using in the EVOD/T3S and got a little woosy. I was playing with the air flow setting, and the wattage most of the ride, trying to figure out what I like best.

A bunch of people on the forum say that smokers directly inhale cigarette smoke into their lungs. I have never done that. I always took a few short, strong puffs and then inhaled. So mouth to Lung may work better for me.

On the EVOD/T3S I have to inhale straight into my lungs to get enough vapor. With the Subox, even on low power, it produces so much more vapor, I think I prefer going Mouth to Lung. With a short puff, 19watts is giving me a bunch of warm vapor that I like that is comfortable to then inhale.

Another huge difference is the Airy draw on the subtank even on the lowest setting. I don't think that is a bad thing, it is just so much lighter than a smoke or the T3S.

So far I am enjoying my new tool!

Reactions: The.Drifter

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
I was thinking that 2 batteries would be enough, but you're probably right. I will purchase a 3rd on my next order.

For dapening a new coil, do you mean connecting it to the Base without a tank, and connecting the base to the mod. Then you are firing it and priming it without a tank to make sure the wick is saturated? I believe this is the first that I have read of priming that way, and I want to make sure that I understand correctly before I try it.

Thanks for the great advice!
yes my friend before using a new cotton coil we have to damp the cotton otherwise it is burnt. Look at all the complaints, leaking because they dont put cotton on RBA unit or get dry hits or burnt taste. simply not saturating coil before use.
Make sure you watch videos concerning how to use subtank mini.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
yes my friend before using a new cotton coil we have to damp the cotton otherwise it is burnt. Look at all the complaints, leaking because they dont put cotton on RBA unit or get dry hits or burnt taste. simply not saturating coil before use.
Make sure you watch videos concerning how to use subtank mini.

Yes... I understand what you are saying. I primed the coil using the method on the instructions. 4 drips in the top of the coil on the cotton, and a drip in the 2 holes on the sides. I just didn't do your method with firing the coil without a tank. I will try your way on the next coil.

I also understand about needing to wick the RBA.

Thanks for your advice!

MountainMistMan

Moved On
Oct 18, 2015
WV
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
I am still using a lot of EVOD style tanks. Been vaping over a year, now.

Evod style tanks for me: are bang on easy to maintain, are affordable(cheap as in at most $10 USD), do what is advertised.

I tried a Kanger Aero Tank and found a lack of enjoyment from it. At the time I could not warrant paying $3 per coil head. I have fumble fingers ergo lack capacity/patience to do the whole rebuilding thing. Am gradually learning it though.

Found the T-Dux series of evod style tanks recently. I bought a couple T-Dux 3 tanks that use dual coils. Like them a lot. :) Then, found T-Dux 4 tanks which hold 4mL of juice, use dual coils, are still affordable tanks, easy to maintain. The coil assemblies run around $2 USD per unit, which given the single coil units run around $1 is fair imho.

If you're not looking into doing the sub ohm thing in hurry you may want to reconsider what was called 'newbie' gear for you. You may find that 'newbie' gear actually will suit you better. I use coils ranging from around 1.8 - 2.4 ohm resistance. I find they do well on an Innokin MVP2 mod at ~6-8 Watts or ~4-6 volts. I use Innokin batteries as they seem to be affordable, good all around quality. Recently bought a Smok X-Pro M22 battery, it does okay but still not parting with the Innokin batteries.

All in, I use 'newbie' gear just fine even after having explored a bit. Still intend to explore further but at my own pace. Not really into 'latest & greatest' for the sake of 'latest & greatest', no need to be. This is only my view though, ymmv and all the usual standard disclaimers apply.

Thanks for the information! For now, I am going to continue puffing on both the evod/t3s and the subox and see how things develop. Its possible, like you said, that I end up favoring the EVOD style and decide that I want to go forward with that style setup. I am not in a hurry to purchase anything more. The only thing that I would like to add is a dripper for sampling, but that's it.

Between the 2 devices, I think that I have enough gear to keep me going in case something breaks, so I do not go running to the convenience store for cigarettes.

I also have my 9 flavors from Vape Wild steeping. I only ordered 6 but they gave me 3 free samples! I need to stop by a local vape shop for juice to last me until the VW juices are good to use.

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Yes... I understand what you are saying. I primed the coil using the method on the instructions. 4 drips in the top of the coil on the cotton, and a drip in the 2 holes on the sides. I just didn't do your method with firing the coil without a tank. I will try your way on the next coil.

I also understand about needing to wick the RBA.

Thanks for your advice!
My friend with my method you will get rid off any bad smell (if there is ) with cotton or wire. Anyway do it as you like. It is not a big matter. It will be a must with your own coils.

MountainMistMan

Moved On
Oct 18, 2015
WV
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Looks good. Let us know how it goes.

So far, so good! Today is my 3rd day without a cigarette, and this has by far been the easiest 3 days without cigarettes that I have ever had!:thumbs:

Had my first dry hit today :shock: and still trying to get rid of that taste. :-x

Cleaned my tank, replaced the coil two times, and still taste/smell it! Must be in my lungs or just in my head....

Reactions: Falconeer

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Just wanted to update everyone. So far so good - no cigarettes in over 2 weeks. Stopped by a local vape shop for a Black Friday sale. I purchased the a small clone SMPL mod and Clone Derringer as a nice compact backup device. I am also expecting some vape mail with some 28g Kanthal and some Cotton.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
IMG_2701.JPG

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Welcome aboard - I too lurked for a bit and checked out a few forums before I joined this one.

As well as the technical information and expertise that abounds here what made me choose this one is its Support Network - members seem happy to help and share their experiences.

Kicking tobacco isn't easy but with the right attitude, good kit and support you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread