New vaper, vaping safely is on me, my local vape shop could care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I quit smoking May 2016. I've joined due to the wealth of information, other vapors questions and answers. Everything can be so confusing from VG/PG percentages, safe batteries, MODS, all that's involved. I got taken just this evening at a shop I frequent by having the LG HE2 18650 unmarked, so the store owner sold them as 35 amps. :evil:I get home and see they're nowhere near 35 amps. Upsetting especially when I'd made it clear I needed the correct batteries to vape safely. Time to mail order but right now with the freezing temps, I worried anything I ordered by mail would freeze during shipping. That's all I'll dump into my post tonight, besides feeling extremely stormy with the vape shop where I have bought MODS, juice, coils, gifts during the holidays. Feeling bad I spent a dime with a store owner who's shady :(

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi & welcome
I've been buying my batteries from Liion Wholesale which I believe is well recommended for authentic batteries. Someone will very shortly I'm sure, post a list of batteries with their real stats.

After purchasing a nice new unit, juices, etc etc I'd go into the vape store and show him all the nice things you've bought over the web and let him know he didn't get any of those sales because of the batteries he sold you. Then I'd smile as I left his store never to return.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
sorry you got burned that way... one of my local shops did the same with me, because i wasn't willing to drive the extra half hour for the other shop with well trained employees/owner... lesson learned painfully as well, if i want stuff i go to the one that is 45 mins away... info i need to drive an hour. standards in the shops would be great, but so unlikely *sigh*.

Reactions: PartlySunny

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone, I quit smoking May 2016. I've joined due to the wealth of information, other vapors questions and answers. Everything can be so confusing from VG/PG percentages, safe batteries, MODS, all that's involved. I got taken just this evening at a shop I frequent by having the LG HE2 18650 unmarked, so the store owner sold them as 35 amps. :evil:I get home and see they're nowhere near 35 amps. Upsetting especially when I'd made it clear I needed the correct batteries to vape safely. Time to mail order but right now with the freezing temps, I worried anything I ordered by mail would freeze during shipping. That's all I'll dump into my post tonight, besides feeling extremely stormy with the vape shop where I have bought MODS, juice, coils, gifts during the holidays. Feeling bad I spent a dime with a store owner who's shady :(
Welcome and glad you joined. I would not worry about freezing temperatures, heat is way worse. VG/PG , battery chemistry can take short periods of freezing temperatures.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
May 2016 / Smoking Vapor
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

BitterBeerBear

Aug 11, 2016
DFW, TX
PartlySunny, I'm sorry you had that experience. It's never fun feeling like you got cheated, especially after spending money.

Most of the B&M vape shops I've been in feel almost as evil as pawn shops, so I try to buy EVERYTHING online.

There's a store about half a mile from where I live. Not really a vape shop, just a tobacco shop that pretends to have vape accessories lol. I go there with my girl when she buys her cigs, and when I do I always look around. The only batteries they sell are Ultrafires and E-Fests. They say they sell everything to rebuild with.. yet the only wire they have is a single spool of 30g kanthal. Their wicking material consists of a single package of cotton in some kit that costs $16. They have a Nautilus Mini for sale for $30. I could go on & on about them but I think you get the picture. They're useless as a real shop you can get supplies from.

I had some spare time the other day so I drove to the other side of town to another shop. When I walked in I was like "omg.. Awesome! A REAL vape shop!". No cigarettes.. No snuff.. Just vape stuff! I was so happy. I saw a tag in one of the displays that said "$5 RDA's". After inquiring I was told they were display models. And one of them was missing a tip. I have plenty of tips at home and I've never owned an RDA, so for $5 I couldn't pass it up. They had 2 different models and I bought one of each. Before leaving I noticed quite a few of their tanks they were selling were clones. When I get home I notice these tanks weren't display models... they were just used. Quite heavily actually. They were also clones. One of them didnt even have screws, but thankfully there were replacements in the spare parts bag. Guess what else was in the spare parts bag? Used o-rings. They were flattened on one side from heavy use. THEN I looked online and saw that FT had an AUTHENTIC one on sale for $1 more than the $5 I payed for a heavily USED CLONE. Oh well... Lesson learned.

TL;DR: If you own/work for a vape shop, be honest with your customers. They'll spend more money in your shop if you do ;)

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
So were the cells legit LG HE2s & vender was ignorant of the CDR? A rewrap with a BS line?
If unsure about authenticity, insist on documentation. Vender balks,, WALK OUT..

So were the cells legit LG HE2s & vender was ignorant of the CDR? A rewrap with a BS line?
If unsure about authenticity, insist on documentation. Vender balks,, WALK OUT..

I'm unsure how to tell if they're rewrapped. The batteries on Mooch's chart have the numbers embossed on the wrap. The batteries I bought came in their own box, individually. The box and batteries had no markings, rather a printed sticker with the ID#, amps printed on a printed sticker, same with the boxes, simple printer stickers. When I opened the batteries the stickers were barely stuck on, the edges were loose, I could have easily peeled the labels off. My instincts tell me he has stickers he slaps on in the back room, then puts them in a box with similar stickers with ID# & amps. On Mooch's chart the same battery only comes in 20 amp, so has far as that goes, he sold me 20 amps with a sticker that reads 35 amps. I also bought a Nitecore charger, max amperage charging, stops at 35 amps. I have two issues, one the Sigelei FUCHAI instructions says to use two 40 amp batteries. They installed in series connection. My thoughts are why Sigelei made a MOD that takes 18650 when 40 amps in that size battery are hard to find? The 18650 that are 35/40 amps, the mAh is low. Seems a single 26650 in the space where it calls for two 18650 battery should have been the setup. If I understand correctly the MOD doesn't pull 40 amps from two 20 amp batteries when in series. Now I question the charger, it doesn't read amps, just volts, and mAh. IDK if any charger reads amps, if not I need to find & buy whatever the tool that will read amps so I know the amps or a damaged battery. I have a long way to go getting the correct setup for the Cleito 120 tank, with .16 coil resistance, it pulls a lot of amps above 60-70 watts. Well, there's more info of the mess I have, sorry so lengthy.
If this DIGI D4 Nitecore charger is not the best due to amp limits, or any reason I would love some input/ suggestions.
This has been an expensive lesson.

Last edited:

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Go with mooch, every time on current draw.
Silver stickers are used due to shipping regulations & are not defacto proof of a fake.
The Charger will not per say read current. current can be computed by ohms law.
Keep your coils over .25 ohms.

I'm not familiar with your mods.
There are no 35 or 40amp 18650 cells.
Learn Ohms law, don't rely on the vender. Especially with low resistance builds..

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have two issues, one the Sigelei FUCHAI instructions says to use two 40 amp batteries.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I use the batteries you bought in my Fuchai.

If you wanted to push for near the limit, then 30 (or 40?) amp batteries might be the 'call' as far as Sigelei are concerned, is what you are saying.
Truth is, 20a x 2 is enough to get you a long way.
You have a pair of good batteries. If you want to get to the limits of a 200w mod, then perhaps not good enough.

The stickers on them from certain UK shops are little better than someone getting clever with their $50 printer t.b.h.

Some things to think about, but not a wasted purchase i.m.o.

Last edited:

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
I wonder if they mean 40a total power, as there are no 40a 18650 batteries (unless they are referencing pulsed current lol)

HE4's are fantastic 20a batteries, as are their older brothers the HE2's. I use a couple sets of HE2's and have no issues, but then I practice battery safety. You have more than enough power to vape up to 120w with dual 20a batteries in a regulated mod. I wouldn't recommend pushing them further than that.

Sorry to hear you got "scammed" There are no true 35a 18650's either (and I'm referencing their current discharge rate, not their pulsed ratings...I personally never go by usually exaggerated pulsed ratings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread