"New" vs. "Old"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
So I get it, we all like new stuff. We all want what the cool kids have. The new technology is interesting exciting and challenging. There is however always going to be that new next best thing. How much better is it?

Reminiscent of just a few short years ago when it seemed every few weeks a new faster and better processor came out and everyone now had buyers remorse from their new $2500 Pentium 36..... Remember? Seemed there was a new one out every couple of months for maybe 2-3 years there until ( what I believe happened) the people manufacturing these processors ran out of headroom with the available materials and just couldn't make them go any faster. I feel the vaping community has recently hit that same wall. We've used up all the easy and readily available ideas and materials. Unless we discover or find a new material that suddenly revolutionizes the industry, this is it folks. Sure there may be small improvements here and there but no leaps and bounds.

So just thinking out loud. Was laying in bed this morning trying to decide on my next vaping purchase. I'm seriously considering going "old" school. Thinking about getting a eBaron Pro Dripper by Leo and running it with a cotton/kanthal build.

i remember not to long ago when like the Kayfuns now can hardly be found and are frequently sold out the eBaron's were the same way. What happened? Is the newer stuff really better or is it just marketing and hype?

What older rba's do you still have and still use on a daily?

What at ways have you found to improve the older designs?

Reactions: Vaslovik

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The industry is still in its infancy and plenty of advancements happen all the time. When it comes to mods, it's not that long ago that you were forced to use mechs if you wanted to reach higher wattages. Now mechs can hardly keep up with the wattages some of the regulated devices offer. Temperature protection is another innovation that we've seen only recently, and much will happen on that front in the future. As for RTAs, a lot has happened since Kayfuns. Dual coil decks, easier coiling, RTAs where you can remove the deck without emptying the tank. The Aqua v2 is a good example. Can be used as both an RDA and an RTA, easy access to the coils, easy filling, nearly fool proof wicking. Perhaps not revolutionary, but certainly better than some older stuff. The kanger subtanks (and the Atlantis, Delta II etc) are a great innovation in clearomizers. When it comes to RDAs I'm not that sure as I don't use them much, but the Big Dripper for example was an innovative concept - and I'm sure it can be improved upon.

Not putting down the "old" stuff. I still like my Kayfun, mechs, and original Innokin SVD, but there are other things I prefer now.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The industry is still in its infancy and plenty of advancements happen all the time. When it comes to mods, it's not that long ago that you were forced to use mechs if you wanted to reach higher wattages. Now mechs can hardly keep up with the wattages some of the regulated devices offer. Temperature protection is another innovation that we've seen only recently, and much will happen on that front in the future. As for RTAs, a lot has happened since Kayfuns. Dual coil decks, easier coiling, RTAs where you can remove the deck without emptying the tank. The Aqua v2 is a good example. Can be used as both an RDA and an RTA, easy access to the coils, easy filling, nearly fool proof wicking. Perhaps not revolutionary, but certainly better than some older stuff. The kanger subtanks (and the Atlantis, Delta II etc) are a great innovation in clearomizers. When it comes to RDAs I'm not that sure as I don't use them much, but the Big Dripper for example was an innovative concept - and I'm sure it can be improved upon.

Not putting down the "old" stuff. I still like my Kayfun, mechs, and original Innokin SVD, but there are other things I prefer now.
Sorry, didn't get much past "old and new" so I didn't read which sub forum this was posted to, or even note that RBAs were the specific focus in the op :) Still, I'll let it stand. Some innovation in RBAs but more in mods.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
It has been an interesting show, watching the evolution of vaping.
You are right, the last time I saw innovation and growth in an industry was computers.
But vaping has more of a "Wildcat" look to it.
So many changes and developments at the speed of light.
You can tell the consumer money is going into the market with all the options coming out everyday!
It's always the next great thing on this board, and nothing wrong with that.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
It never hurts to keep redesigning the wheel, but 95% of the current market is just that in my eyes. I don't really drip, but as long as a dripper has an easy deck, enough posts, and good air flow that's really all you need. Tanks are probably best at the Billow/Fogger v6/KF4 level, though seeing Mini versions for the pen-style batteries did impress me. And batteries are just completely all over the spectrum for just about everyone.

I've been taking the minimalist approach to this hobby just like I'm doing with my photography - buy only what you know you need to avoid clutter...... of the same exact thing. If you absolutely must have like a low ohm and high ohm build, at all times, or must have couple flavors ready and waiting then invest into a few atties, but otherwise I'd say vape more and hoard less.

It used to amuse me to see the "money saved from tobacco" sigs in posts where peeps would buy 2x the savings worth of extra vape gear, for absolutely no real reason.

I DO like seeing things like Efest Luc V4 that can charge bloody 18650 at a proper rate vs older crappy chargers we all went through. Did this community know that it's generally safe to charge a battery at it's capacity's rate? Charger manufacturers sure didn't care to play it safe vs make a properly good tool all this time...

So we're rolling and strolling, but I see less and less actually useful things hitting the market with a couple basic overdue items.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
Just don't forget the basics is all. Any atty can be rebuild in Nth degree of times with all sorts of coils, and all that takes is having maybe 2x types of batteries and wire. I'd encourage trying out different options before a whole new hardware set to save $.

If someone made a Magneto with a side button, I'd try that for convenience, but only that since mine is likely to last me forever despite being a cheap clone.

I also want to add that this is a semi-pro photographer saying that certain 200$ lenses are just as good as $800 ones, and there's your price difference and baseline for example as well.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Everything comes full circle

Genesis is getting popular again and mechs came back.

I also had the original kayfun before people even heard of svoe mesto and vivi novas were a thing

Took 9 weeks to ship direct from svoe in russia lol

All I use are mechs, and hybrids now, used to love the dripper on my provari. Still got both, Flavor drippers didnt die they just got over shadowed by the same generic 3 post corncobs everybody makes when cloud chasing hit.

I rock a magma and a senio when I'm not running my geni's

But to a point you made, the kayfun became mainstream at the exact same time the clone empire came online, look at the so called new tanks. Inside they are still just variations of a kayfun deck. China still can't innovate so all they can do is revisions to existing products

Last edited:

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
I think you all (young vaping whipersnappers) are too close to the trees to see the forest.

From the variable power, the different resistance coils, bottom coils, to battery advancements.

These have all begun as small incremental changes. There have always been the "this is good enough" camp. And it has almost always eventually changed. If you where to compare vaping today with vaping in 2009 you would see how these small changes have accumulated into what today has become real vaping.

Incredibly it has been the community. They guy with a toothpick and a paper towel. Who have thought "This is good, it could be better". And become inspired, that has made it possible. The difference between 2009 and now, even for the beginning vapor. I have not seen in any other industry. Not to this degree.

If you really want to be "Old School" Get a dozen batteries that last an hour, and have bad threading. Get some carto's that burn fiber and dump the contents of you juice on your hands/desk 3 out of 5 times.

I say encourage the little changes. Contribute to the innovation. And applaud those who say "This is good, It can be better".

Reactions: sonicbomb

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
My 1997 VW Golf is more fun to drive than my new Audi. I have a MacBook Air, but prefer to use my iBook 466 SE as my laptop and lately this has been my all day setup-

2dgrkf8.jpg

Other than ladies, I prefer older, better made things...

Vato-Loco

Unregistered Supplier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA.
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unauthorized area for supplier

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I think you all (young vaping whipersnappers) are too close to the trees to see the forest.

From the variable power, the different resistance coils, bottom coils, to battery advancements.

These have all begun as small incremental changes. There have always been the "this is good enough" camp. And it has almost always eventually changed. If you where to compare vaping today with vaping in 2009 you would see how these small changes have accumulated into what today has become real vaping.

Incredibly it has been the community. They guy with a toothpick and a paper towel. Who have thought "This is good, it could be better". And become inspired, that has made it possible. The difference between 2009 and now, even for the beginning vapor. I have not seen in any other industry. Not to this degree.

If you really want to be "Old School" Get a dozen batteries that last an hour, and have bad threading. Get some carto's that burn fiber and dump the contents of you juice on your hands/desk 3 out of 5 times.

I say encourage the little changes. Contribute to the innovation. And applaud those who say "This is good, It can be better".
Yea! Umm wait, no, I don't miss those days, I started on the 3 piece system and I do not miss shoving that sloppy dripping cart into the atomizer tube just so I could get a mouthful from the flooded battery lol

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
of course there has been evolution...

on rtas the orchid, lemo, goblin, sylverplay etc have narrowed the line between dripper performance and tank capacity sort of like the crossovers
the big dripper is a dripper with a tank

rdas like the veritas, marquis and rogue have made strives to become leak free and have a really reduced chamber for flavor
rdas like the magma and origen have made great use of space to hold a lot of liquid

genisis like the origen now have the option to be used with cotton as well as with ss mesh more easily than others

ignotus

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2014
Texas
My atomizer progression has been from cigalike to Ego-CC to Nautilus Mini to KFL+ to Rose v2. Since then I've tinkered with the K4 and Taifun GT II, but these have only confirmed my appreciation for the Rose. The newer stuff seems to have one common theme: greater and greater airflow, which I believe is simply incompatible with great flavor.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
My atomizer progression has been from cigalike to Ego-CC to Nautilus Mini to KFL+ to Rose v2. Since then I've tinkered with the K4 and Taifun GT II, but these have only confirmed my appreciation for the Rose. The newer stuff seems to have one common theme: greater and greater airflow, which I believe is simply incompatible with great flavor.

You will need that air if you build down to like .2 or lower, which is also a new trend for any atty on the market. Now, good airflow control is a much better gimmick than lack there of.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Having only vaped for about a year, I have seen a lot the changes. For the hobbyist vaper, all these changes just mean more cash spent. Hobbyist, no matter the hobby just like to have the latest greatest thingamabob.

As a vaper on the lifequest of removing tobacco from daily use, all the innovative changes mean there is a chance to find the proper vape gear that can provide a tobacco free lifestyle. Sure, the money is still spent to feed the marketing frenzy, but, once the individual has found the ideal vape gear that replaces tobacco, the spending slows down.

Of course innovation and marketing hype continues to help bring tobacco users and even non-users into the fold.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I see your point. I've pretty much settled on an even 1Ω, so what I said is true for me at least.

And I've generally have on like 1.2-.5, but on a mini 14mm style, so air will be old clearo-sized, but plenty for some clouds given the size. And economy will be absolutely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread