Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Well, new to me anyway. Came Monday but didn't pick it up until the wee's this AM. It's a Stabilized Maple Burl 18490 running a brass RM2 with a Syner DT, and one of the old fav liquids I used to DIY that I made up in the wee hours this morning (K-Kick). I'll add front and back pics of it in the Reo Family thread.

27-1s.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
That's such a nice mod Spydro! Don't know why it keeps changing hands. I was sorely tempted... But, I can't have ALL the mods....

Thanks... I like it despite some issues to attend to. So this little lady has "slept around"? I might have to refer to it as Aspasia or Theodora. :ohmy:

Holy doodle! I love that setup - every bit of it from the wood detail to the brass accoutrements.
Nice score, Spydy :toast:

All I can claim credit for so far is outfitting it with a better DT choice, giving the wood a drink, installing a new feed tube and bottle. I think I can fix the slightly warped door (wood wasn't thoroughly stabilized correctly), ought to help even up/close the gaps. The RM2 was modified special for this Woodie. The 510 is too low to fire any of my other RM2's or Chalice's, the catch cup ID too small to see if it will fire the RM3's, IGO-S or 2013 Cyclones. And I want to break the RM2 down/see what's up inside (it squonks joose past the edges of the deck), and I'll probably rebuild it with a nice white spare ceramic deck I have. Anyway, for now this is a one atty Reo. I can live with that just fine though if I open up the RM2's air intake a little more than it already has been. They make a great package, were made for each other. Can see this little lady doing the wee hours of the night errands with me sometimes. :thumb:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Rob set up the RM2 for it when I had him put the gold contacts in. It is a great little mod.

I'm all metal now but I miss it now...

Thanks for sharing some history on this Reo combo. The match up was a good idea, fits this Reo perfectly.

The RM2 is working great on it now that I opened up the air intake a little more and put a larger form coil/wick in it that holds more joose for my long DLH's. While I have several RM2's I have only been using one on an OG VV Grand, so it's kind of nice to get back to basics again with one on this Woodvil Mini. I took it out on it's first excursion to run errands in the wee hour of the night (this morning). Nice carry just in a shirt pocket with plenty of joose capacity and battery life for the hours I was out.

I have another well traveled Woodvil that got around before I bought it used, a 2014 run 18650 Jatoba that had been dubbed James Dean before I bought it. In those early Reo days it was my favorite "errands" Reo with a 2013 Cyclone. Unfortunately it and its sister Woodvil/Cyclone don't get used much though since the 2015 Woodvil's joined the family.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I've found that the minor door issues are far more than just an interesting dilemma.
Everything in this Woody is cattywampus, both the door and the mod body itself. There are no two dimensions anywhere on this Woody that should be the same that are the same. And some of them vary by large differences. I'm not talking just a few thousandth's of an inch either, up to 1/16" +/-. Not equal in the door thickness or the dimensions of it, it's not "square", is slightly cup warped on the bottom and stretched longer than the mod body from the opposite corners bottom left to top right. About the same with the mod body itself, not dimensionally equal anywhere, and also not "square" so it too is probably warped some. Some of the door issues might be from other attempts by someone to improve the doors fit, but I think the real culprit is a poor job of stabilizing the wood by someone before it was crafted into a Reo.

The stories upon stories I'd think Aspasia could tell about her sorted past. But like a true courtesan with class she is not talking. However, on second thought I think a far better moniker for this one now is Calamity Jane. It just fits, so I'll go with that one for it. :)

Bottom line, I am not going to try to "improve" anything. I like this shady lady just the way she is with lots of character just like her namesake. :thumb:

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I've found that the minor door issues are far more than just an interesting dilemma.
Everything in this Woody is cattywampus, both the door and the mod body itself. There are no two dimensions anywhere on this Woody that should be the same that are the same. And some of them vary by large differences. I'm not talking just a few thousandth's of an inch either, up to 1/16" +/-. Not equal in the door thickness or the dimensions of it, it's not "square", is slightly cup warped on the bottom and stretched longer than the mod body from the opposite corners bottom left to top right. About the same with the mod body itself, not dimensionally equal anywhere, and also not "square" so it too is probably warped some. Some of the door issues might be from other attempts by someone to improve the doors fit, but I think the real culprit is a poor job of stabilizing the wood by someone before it was crafted into a Reo.

The stories upon stories I'd think Aspasia could tell about her sorted past. But like a true courtesan with class she is not talking. However, on second thought I think a far better moniker for this one now is Calamity Jane. It just fits, so I'll go with that one for it. :)

Bottom line, I am not going to try to "improve" anything. I like this shady lady just the way she is with lots of character just like her namesake. :thumb:

Calamity Jane.....perfect name. I'm so glad she found you, Spy. She should be very happy living out the rest of her life in your stable among so many friends. Congrats on getting her. Even with all her little idiosynchronies, she's still a "looker."

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Calamity Jane.....perfect name. I'm so glad she found you, Spy. She should be very happy living out the rest of her life in your stable among so many friends. Congrats on getting her. Even with all her little idiosynchronies, she still a "looker."

Glad to have her, and yes she is a looker. But like with all ladies it's their inner beauty that matters the most to me.

And she has a lot of inner beauty... this was a smart combo mating an RM2 to it. It vapes like a dream since I opened up the air some, is a joy to carry just in a shirt pocket and feels right at home in the hand.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
No doubt finding out some of the history of used gear makes them more special. I have other Reos that slept around with more than one master before I got them. Most were still pristine. had been taken care of very well. Calamity has had a hard life, but little if any of that is attributed to her past loves or her maker.

The newness of ownership will wear off some, but I like the combo with the RM2 modded for her so much this will always be one of my favored Reos and will be used often.

Reactions: fatherdano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread