New Zealand Researcher: Is Nicotine Getting a Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by TennDave, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  2. wendallb

wendallb Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks, good read

3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Registered Supplier

Need more articles like this.

4. mwa102464

mwa102464 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
    Nice find Dave, good read

5. NaturesEncore

NaturesEncore Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the article. Very interesting read.

6. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Absolutely. Good job, Dave.

7. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Would be good to contact the researcher- show her this forum (if she doesn't already know about it) and ally with her... I know she has to be objective but possibly she can find some info and volunteers for future analysis. Certainly, would like to see the data from her findings!!

8. NorthOfAtlanta

NorthOfAtlanta Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nice to see more actual research instead of just repeating previous half truths and lies. Good article.

9. kristin

kristin Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

It's nice to see them finally realizing that nicotine isn't the magic bullet for smoking addiction. And the comment that lab rats always choose coke over nicotine kind of busts the favorite ANTZ claim that nicotine is more addictive than "H".

I do have to question something the researcher said, though.

Except close to 40% of smokers who switch to the gum keep using it indefinitely, which would mean that for them, the nicotine itself is important.

10. zapatengo

zapatengo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the link. It made for a good Sunday read.

11. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I think it might be important to differentiate between smokers who switch to NRTs continuing to use them versus non-smokers taking up the use of NRTs and, as a consequence, becoming "hooked." It could be argued that smokers who switch to long-term use of NRTs are not abusing the products. Smoking was abusing them, and now they have found a less hazardous way to take in the nicotine that they use as a form of self-medication.

12. kristin

kristin Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

True, Elaine. I agree.

Other thoughts:
    Unfortunately, I can just see them deciding nicotine ISN'T really addictive and searching for another "magic bullet" chemical to blame for "why ALL smokers smoke." What they need to get through their thick skulls is that different things in and about tobacco/smoking are "addictive" for different reasons. For some people it IS all about the nicotine, but as e-cigarette users are proving (and NRT failure has been for the past 20 years, but they blamed it on smokers being "weak-willed" instead), nicotine alone doesn't satisfy all smokers. This article is the closest I've seen to them coming to the realization that it's a combination of chemicals - but seems to still ignore the behavioral aspects. Some smokers may have well been nail biters or over-eaters if smoking never existed. Those would be the folks who take quickly to 0mg e-cigarettes - it's all about the behavior for them, not chemicals. Or folks like my husband, who gets all the tobacco chemicals he needs from snus, but still wants/needs the action of using an e-cigarette.

13. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'm with your hubby Kristin. Those 4 or 5 portions of snus keep me generally content, but I still like vaping in certain situations. Lately, I've been vaping a grape flavor that just hits the spot at 0 nic.

14. Thulium

Thulium Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Because it points in a direction the ANTZ are unwilling to go (toward solutions to public health issues that are not owned/operated/regulated/taxed or otherwise controlled by their employer/sponsor), they are ignoring a lot of informative data about addiction from the studies that have already been done on e-cigs, snus, and dissolvables: Not the least of which is Dr. Eissenberg's finding that the amount e-cigs that did NOT deliver a significant amount of nicotine reduced the desire to smoke compares favorably with pharmaceutical nicotine replacement therapy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.