newbi

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaloosastar

Sep 1, 2014
Pa
Hi everyone, I'm new here and in a few days hope to be a new vapor. Finally talked my husband into joining me in quitting cigs. But I am so confused with what starter kit to buy. I have looked at the Kanger Evod and the Halo Triton. Unfortunately money is an issue since I'm having to buy 2 kits. Also I have read about leaking and gurgling with the Evod. I don't want this to be a nasty experience right off the bat for my husband. he has no patience at all for something that doesn't work. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of what to purchase to get us started on vaping.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Yay! Finally someone who doesn't come in, and have a first post that goes "how do I blow beeeg beeeeeg clouds!"

Before the crazies come in with their suggestions for you to get a mech, RDA and start subohming your face off....I'll go first!

It seems like you're comfortable with a ego sized battery (they're kinda like. Skinnier cigars.) and don't need a cig-a-like. Excellent! IMO any of the decently branded ego would be a great choice. Perhaps you could advise us on a little more details, and I can even help you search for some deals:

1) what's your budget for both your husband and yourself? This includes the starter kit and juice

2) is your preference towards pocketability or battery life? Ego batteries can go from 350mah (tiny little things) to 1300mah last time I checked. But those are decently long. If you're looking for a full time replacement for cigarettes, then buying a smaller battery will necessarily require you to have multiples.

3) this might be a stretch, but any chance you or your husband might be into a box mod like a MVP v2? It's very very safe. Affordable at 40bucks, and will easily last you 1.5 to 2.5 days.

Overall, until you give more details, I'm very very happy that the both of you guys are gonna be in this together, and your motivation is to quit the cancer sticks. The ego is a GREAT choice; don't let the ERMAGERD JUST BUY A MECH crowd sway you.

ETA: IMO you'll be fine sticking to a starter kit + juice. Of course it doesn't have to be a fixed kit per se. As long as you have the ego battery, a charger for it, a clearomizer or cartotank (NOT any rebuildables), and juice, I think you're solid. Just update on more details and we'll get you along

ETA: oh I just remembered. Could you also let us know how heavy a smoker were you and your husband, that will affect how many mg nic you'll need for your juice, and also likely need to take into consideration the expected longevity of your tank's coils. (Heavier smokers tend to chain vape like craaaaazy when they first start, so the "life span" of the stock coil is a worthy consideration)

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi everyone, I'm new here and in a few days hope to be a new vapor. Finally talked my husband into joining me in quitting cigs. But I am so confused with what starter kit to buy. I have looked at the Kanger Evod and the Halo Triton. Unfortunately money is an issue since I'm having to buy 2 kits. Also I have read about leaking and gurgling with the Evod. I don't want this to be a nasty experience right off the bat for my husband. he has no patience at all for something that doesn't work. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of what to purchase to get us started on vaping.

Between those two: evod and halo
get the evod.

The halo is good but the interface is different.

The evod kit uses the standard 510/eGo thread interface and will be compatible with other equipment.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
Welcome, Apaloosastar. (I'm assuming you're a fellow horseperson? Yes!)

Congratulation on your decision to quit!

:toast:

I managed to quit with a crummy little cigalike, so, honestly, I think anything's possible. That being said, I bet the Evod would turn out to be a very good choice. A dear friend finally made the big switch after moving up from cigalikes to Evods, and they seem to have made all the difference for her.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Triton, but there are lots of online reviews to help you choose. Just do a YouTube search on both devices, and check out the reviewers with the largest number of subscribers. (People seem to especially like PBusardo, Grimm Green and Todds Ecigreviews, just to name a few.)

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Money shouldn't be a problem because right away your going to be saving money NOT BUYING cigs in a week a two you could recover the full cost of startup.

Most of us start out with a simple device and progress up from there, don't worry you won't be throwing money out the window it can be used as a backup device later on because one thing you don't want to do when starting vaping is NOT be able to vape even for a day.

There are many pen type devices out here starting at $10.00 and up. A nice startup setup can be a VISION SPINNER their come in colors and give the sense of holding a CIG in your hand. Your also need some sort of tank/carto/atomizer system.

If you have a vapor store in your area the best bet would be to go there most store will let you sample flavors and explain the do's and don'ts they can help a lot and then your pick it up by yourself keep in mind it's a learning curve, what one person likes another might not.

Happy vaping and welcome enjoy your experience, it got a ton of us off of cigs. :)

400mahspinner.png

Last edited:

appaloosastar

Sep 1, 2014
    Pa
    Budget for us both would be a total of 120/130 max I like the sounds of a MVP if I only knew what that was! I think for both of us batteries lasting all day needs to be a must. We both smoke a pack a day and we smoke 100's. We don't want anything that looks like a real cig we want to get really far away from them. We are older folks, 60, and my husband had a heart attack a few years back, he needs to stop now. I think he probably will chain vape for awhile but better than cigs. Any advice and help is much appreciated.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2013
    Durham, North Carolina, United States
    Crap. For some reason I can't post photos in this thread

Check out the mvp here:
    http://101vape.com/vvvw/148-innokin-itaste-mvp-v20.html

It's less wide than a credit card, and just slightly taller. And you use a mini USB to charge it :)

I've tried assembling a cart for you, and it turned out pretty pricey tho.

Each MVP costs $39.99 (best price I can find anywhere). It comes with the USB cable and a iclear 16 or iclear30 tank. I think those are terrible.

Given that you're both heavy smokers, I would recommend getting a full sized clearo. Like the aerotank or the aspire nautlius. From 101vape, it's $22.99 each (best price I've found so far)

Unfortunately that's already a total of 135.95 (incl shipping) and does not include juice.

HOWEVER, if you can deal with the box form factor of the MVP, AND would like the aspire nautilus, I would be willing to buy and ship up to $45 (incl shipping) of juice to you just to help get you started.

IMO, the mvp is simply THE BEST mod (in terms of value for money and performance) for a beginner.

ETA: FYI I'm glad you wanna stay away from the cig looking ones. I HOPE you'll be willing to try a box mod :)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    The Clock Barrens, Fillory
    Hi

This is a nice kit for the price. It comes with two batteries of your choice and both options are authentic: Joyetech Twist and Vision Spinner.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Twists and Spinners are very similar eGo-type batteries. They are both solid entry-level variable voltage devices. They both have rings that can adjust the voltage from 3.2v to 4.8v. The biggest difference is where the number are located.

spinnertwistends.jpg

OVERKILL ALERT!
    predator17.gif

You might find this helpful when people talk about "510" or "eGo" threading. These threads are found on other devices as well. 510 is currently the most popular for vape gear. Knowing what the threading is will help you make sure different components are compatible.

egolatest.jpg

KiMB00P

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2014
    Washington
    I think the majority of us started off with the ego-style. They're fairly inexpensive even at B&M's, ranging between $20-40 for a battery. Personally I prefer the protank over both the Evod and halo. The evod does tend to gurgle sometimes but nothing a q-tip can't fix. Just clean the center post of the tank of any juice that found its way inside it.

cleggjm

ECF Veteran
    Aug 4, 2014
    san marcos, texas
    I started with the mvp 2.0 also I bought mine at a shop but you can Google mvp 2.0 39.99 and find that price. You can get simple tanks like the aspire bdc which are decent starter tanks you can build from there. Evod makes pyrex glass tanks for like 8 dollars also. The best thing about vaping is you can always up grade. I clear are not too bad. You can get 2 mvp and some ejuice and some simple bdc (bottom dual coil) tanks for under 120 easily. If you go to a shop your budget will break very quickly so order online. Hope this helps.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Budget for us both would be a total of 120/130 max I like the sounds of a MVP if I only knew what that was! I think for both of us batteries lasting all day needs to be a must. We both smoke a pack a day and we smoke 100's. We don't want anything that looks like a real cig we want to get really far away from them. We are older folks, 60, and my husband had a heart attack a few years back, he needs to stop now. I think he probably will chain vape for awhile but better than cigs. Any advice and help is much appreciated.
    You have plenty of money there.

I've gotten into vaping about two years ago and also I'm getting into my 70's real soon. It was real easy to leave the cigs behind after smoking some 55 years. patch, pills and etc never worked for me one day I seen the add for ecig and was curious to see what it was all about and went out and bought it, never thinking I would give up cigs but to my surprise after the first 24 hours I realized I didn't need a cig at all and been vaping ever since. Once in while I do light up but after two drags seeing how awful it taste I throw it away, yes in my mind I do miss it but I don't have that urge anymore.

appaloosastar

Sep 1, 2014
    Pa
    WOW how very nice of you, renews my faith that there are good people in

the world that just want to help. I checked out 101vape and after talking with my hubby we are interested in the mvp v2.. I'll check at a few more web sites tonight after work. And my son-in-law says we have a vape shop that just opened in our area. Might really be expensive from what I've heard but I can expand my budget a little if need be and right now getting off cigarettes is whats really important to us. Thanks for all your help.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Being an older vaper I do suggest getting a setup that is easy and less fussing with.

I've started out with a Johnson Vea $59.99 for two batteries and supplies two years ago and still have the batteries going strong though I've stepped up and use it more as my go out device and spare now. I can recommend this setup and the vendor has all the supplies you need including lots of flavored juice. I believe this is a very good setup for us older folks who don't want to mess around to much.
    Johnson Creek Vea eCigarette Starter Kit Johnson Creek Smoke Juice

Johnson-Creek-Smoke-Juice-Vea-Electronic-Cigarette.jpg

serenity21899

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    Antioch IL
    Hi

This is a nice kit for the price. It comes with two batteries of your choice and both options are authentic: Joyetech Twist and Vision Spinner.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Twists and Spinners are very similar eGo-type batteries. They are both solid entry-level variable voltage devices. They both have rings that can adjust the voltage from 3.2v to 4.8v. The biggest difference is where the number are located.

spinnertwistends.jpg

OVERKILL ALERT!
    predator17.gif

You might find this helpful when people talk about "510" or "eGo" threading. These threads are found on other devices as well. 510 is currently the most popular for vape gear. Knowing what the threading is will help you make sure different components are compatible.

egolatest.jpg

This was going to be my suggestion, as well. This way you get 2 of everything you need to get started. I have used the Ego Twist, and know others that have had Spinners. You can't go wrong either way.

20140901_161011.jpg

I bought several things since I started vaping 2 months ago. These are what I use on a daily basis. The smaller one, the Spinner II 1650 mah with the Kanger Emow tank is a good start up. Battery last long, has variable voltage, tank is easy and produce a decent amount of vapor and has airflow control. It is not too big or intimidating for a newbie but works well enough not to send you shopping for something better a week later. This is my out and about set up. The other one, I use at home.

The combo Spinner II and Emow tank will bring you just under $50 in Canada. I would still recommend 2 batteries per person. I chain vape, and I need a battery on the charger while I use the other.

**I picked the Emow tank for my Spinner because it fit just perfectly. Looks great!** (Yeah, I am shallow that way!!!)

thomas l

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2014
    Bolivar MIssouri,United States
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread